Cruising on Pride of America in Hawaii

Realtorgirl10

hello! First time cruiser here. We are flying to Hawaii from Louisiana. I am nervous about packing hairspray - toiletries etc and not to mention taking up space. Would it be a good idea to purchase these things when we got to Hawaii or is it really pricey? The thought of liquids on an 11 hour flight seems iffy... any advice? Thanks in advance! :D

Yes, there is plenty of places.

However, we just came back from 3 weeks in Europe- an 11 hour flight for us from California to Munich. Absolutely no problem with our liquids on a long flight, and carrying enough for a 3 week trip. We had one checked bag and one carry on. We didn't buy anything there.

If you're worried about leakage just pack them in ziplock bags. The ship has shampoo and body wash so seriously you don't need to bring your own. You'll be fine, I fly internationally all the time and never had any issues.

Just don't over pack --- lay out what you plan to bring and put half the clothes away and double the money!

And since you're on NCL you don't have to worry about packing fancy clothes, shorts are allowed in all but Jefferson's Bistro, so if you plan on eating there a pair of chino trousers and a golf shirt are as dressed up as you need to be!

Remember that Hawaii is just another US state - not a foreign country. While prices there for some things - as with any US resort area - would possibly be more expensive, in general, things such as you mention would be priced the same as anywhere else in the US.

As to bringing them with you, I'm not sure I understand your concern. If they are packed in your checked luggage in plastic bags or plastic zipper compartments (such as those that typically that are part of the suitcase) so as to protect your clothing should they leak, you will be fine to bring whatever you want on board an airplane - regardless of how long the flight is.

However, as a separate note, just check with your cruise line as some have restrictions on aerosol cans being brought on board. Pump spray containers - which are readily available with any cosmetic products - are fine.

Relax and enjoy your first cruise!

You'll be fine, I fly internationally all the time and never had any issues.

I genuinely recognize the point you are making regarding the distances traveled and I'm not trying to be snarky, but as Hawaii is part of the US, travel there from another US state is not international travel. :D;)

It is, however, a long flight from Louisiana...

Just a note that virtually everything in Hawaii is more expensive (some more than others) than on the mainland, because they have to cover the cost of transporting virtually everything from the mainland.

Good point - and didn't think of that with my first response! Except maybe for some pineapples and coffee...:D

I genuinely recognize the point you are making regarding the distances traveled and I'm not trying to be snarky, but as Hawaii is part of the US, travel there from another US state is not international travel. :D;)

It is, however, a long flight from Louisiana...

I realize it is the 50th state, I was just pointing out that by MY flying internationally I'd never encountered problems with things spilling in my luggage. It really had nothing to do with it being Hawaii or NYC etc.

I realize it is the 50th state, I was just pointing out that by MY flying internationally I'd never encountered problems with things spilling in my luggage. It really had nothing to do with it being Hawaii or NYC etc.

As I said in my response I clearly recognized your intent with your statement and was only making a joking comment regarding your use of the word international with the OP referencing flying from Louisiana to Hawaii.

I'm certain you recognize Hawaii as our 50th state...

I have used zip loc bags in the past and it does keep from getting in the suitcase but it’s so gross when one thing leaks all over everything else in the bag. I mine as well be flying international as it is a ten hour flight thanks everyone!