Cost of drinks on Cunard line ships

Crewserman

I didn't think the drinks were that expensive for where you were at all. I paid just over $15 for a single G&T with a dash of tonic form a mixer tap and served in a plastic cup at Bryant Park in New York, then paid less for a double including fever tree tonic on the QM2 4 days later.

Like for comparison for Cunard to US prices might seem OK but it is obvious that drink prices in US are generally dearer than UK that is why most, not all, say drink prices on Cunard are expensive for UK cruisers.

If you take a 1.5 litre bottle of wine to the MDR (we are a large group) do you still pay one corkage fee, or two?
A wine box would be more economical and easier to pour.

and overrated - one is inclined to say.

I don't understand why Cunard (or anybody else) is able to make money with this French marketing scam. The only difference between a traditionally produced sparkling wine and champagne is the fact that one is from the region called Champagne and the other one isn't.

Totally agree,in the Alsace they produce Cremant,just as good.Here in Italy,some proseccos are as good.

Well on Cunard I don’t even see a courtesy top off. It does make a difference. Between that and the measure Cunard is using, they are the most expensive weak drinks I’ve experienced at sea. I think drinks on Oceania were more expensive, but they were are good pour so that compensated.

I have had bartenders on ships use the measure but then keep pouring in generous amounts of alcohol. I do consider that a free pour. It’s more than just a top off. I don’t expect it but it’s nice when it happens. Never on Cunard.

In Cunard’s favor, they are extremely lenient in bringing on your own alcohol, so that is my plan. I’m not one to sit in the cabin and drink, but I will at least have my first drink in the cabin before heading out for cocktails and dinner/show.

Hi,yes,I think with the American custom of crowding around the same bar everynight on stools,you strike up a rappour with the barman and perhaps get more generous treatment.This probably happens often on American ships like Princess.The stinginess on Cunard is, although charging in dollars is basically a British ship with British trained barmen warned never to be over generous with the measures.Just my opinion anyway,lol.

Well we are on the side of those who think the drinks prices on Cunard are high, and the charging for mixers is ridiculous for things like tonic water that could, like coca cola, be dispensed from post mix.

We spent around $100 per day for the 2 of us on our recent 3 day ‘trial’ of Cunard. That did not include the $20 per bottle corkage fee we paid for our wine at dinner (having researched the list prior to sailing, there was no way I was prepared to pay $35 plus 15% for the same bottle of wine available on land in a bar for $18!).

Seeing that Cunard do not offer a beverage package, that's another reason we can’t see ourselves returning to this line in the near future.

It would be interesting to hear who you do cruise with and whether they will let you bring your own wine onboard.

I too can drink wine in my local pub for around £17.50 but never will the ambiance be the same as on Cunard while I just can't for the life of me imagine asking a Greene King Sommelier for advice on what to accompany my rump steak. :evilsmile::evilsmile:

Well we are on the side of those who think the drinks prices on Cunard are high, and the charging for mixers is ridiculous for things like tonic water that could, like coca cola, be dispensed from post mix.

We spent around $100 per day for the 2 of us on our recent 3 day ‘trial’ of Cunard. That did not include the $20 per bottle corkage fee we paid for our wine at dinner (having researched the list prior to sailing, there was no way I was prepared to pay $35 plus 15% for the same bottle of wine available on land in a bar for $18!).

Seeing that Cunard do not offer a beverage package, that's another reason we can’t see ourselves returning to this line in the near future.

Help me do the math on this one.

$35 bottle on board, plus 15% of $5.25. Final Price: $40.25

$18 bottle land, plus $20 corkage fee. Price of $38.00 Plus I assume some gratuity fee to the server.

So at the most, you're saving $2.25 for that bottle of wine you bring on board to dine with.

I fully intend to bring some bottles along to enjoy in our cabin. But thanks for showing my it's not a true savings to bring wine along to drink in the dining room.

$18 bottle land, plus $20 corkage fee. Price of $38.00 Plus I assume some gratuity fee to the server.

So at the most, you're saving $2.25 for that bottle of wine you bring on board to dine with.

I fully intend to bring some bottles along to enjoy in our cabin. But thanks for showing my it's not a true savings to bring wine along to drink in the dining room.

to really understand this you have to compare like for like in terms of quality. Your $18 bottle will probably be of similar quality to one costing around $60 plus on board not the basic table wines at $35.

In relation to the wines I look at you are talking of a saving of around $24 per bottle. Now that would add up over a 14 night cruise. So will be bringing some on board, but just for enjoying in our cabin whilst watching the world go by on the balcony.

I think one of the issues this thread has highlighted is that there is a stark difference between our American friends and the UK. More than likely down the fact that alcohol in general is more expensive in the US than the UK.

The other thing I note is that yes we are happy to pay these prices in luxury hotels or restaurants. But generally we don't stay in them for 14 consecutive nights and consume all of our drinks from them during this time.

From my personal point of view the drinks on board are very expensive but the wines are extortionate. However, that is the cost of cruising and I don't intend spoiling our holiday as a result of Cunard's greed. I am expecting to be spending in excess of £100 ($135) per day just on drinks.

to really understand this you have to compare like for like in terms of quality. Your $18 bottle will probably be of similar quality to one costing around $60 plus on board not the basic table wines at $35.

In relation to the wines I look at you are talking of a saving of around $24 per bottle. Now that would add up over a 14 night cruise. So will be bringing some on board, but just for enjoying in our cabin whilst watching the world go by on the balcony.

I think one of the issues this thread has highlighted is that there is a stark difference between our American friends and the UK. More than likely down the fact that alcohol in general is more expensive in the US than the UK.

The other thing I note is that yes we are happy to pay these prices in luxury hotels or restaurants. But generally we don't stay in them for 14 consecutive nights and consume all of our drinks from them during this time.

From my personal point of view the drinks on board are very expensive but the wines are extortionate. However, that is the cost of cruising and I don't intend spoiling our holiday as a result of Cunard's greed. I am expecting to be spending in excess of £100 ($135) per day just on drinks.

I agree with you completely. And for the more expensive bottles I completely understand. But when someone comments they aren't paying $35 for a bottle on board when they can purchase and bring it on for $18, I feel inclined to point out what they're actually saying. :-)

I have spent a fair amount to cruise with my family of 7. I fully intend to enjoy a beverage or 2 on board, and realize the inflated price that goes along with it. ;)

It would be interesting to hear who you do cruise with and whether they will let you bring your own wine onboard.

I too can drink wine in my local pub for around £17.50 but never will the ambiance be the same as on Cunard while I just can't for the life of me imagine asking a Greene King Sommelier for advice on what to accompany my rump steak. :evilsmile::evilsmile:

You have cruised on Hapag-Lloyd's Europa 2, and enjoyed the provision of a very extensive alcoholic drinks list at very reasonable prices and with no service charge.

IIRC the corkage fee includes $5 gratuity, so unless one is daft enough to double tip the saving is bigger than you’re assuming.

It’s traditional to give the sommelier a sip of a fine wine which would skew the sums a teeny bit, but that wouldn’t apply to a wine in the sub $20 retail price bracket.

IIRC the corkage fee includes $5 gratuity, so unless one is daft enough to double tip the saving is bigger than you’re assuming.

It’s traditional to give the sommelier a sip of a fine wine which would skew the sums a teeny bit, but that wouldn’t apply to a wine in the sub $20 retail price bracket.

Sorry, but that's not correct.

Original comment:

That did not include the $20 per bottle corkage fee we paid for our wine at dinner (having researched the list prior to sailing, there was no way I was prepared to pay $35 plus 15% for the same bottle of wine available on land in a bar for $18!).

Bring on a bottle of $18 wine, pay the $20 corkage - total is $38. Assume no additional tip.

Ship bottle of $35, plus 15% tip of $5.25. Total is $40.25

That is still only a savings of $2.25 for the said bottle of wine in the above comment.

Yeah, but does he swirl it around his mouth and spit it back in your glass.

I think a lot of the perception about prices.... of drinks, excursions, indeed the fares themselves.... is largely dependent on where you live: country, city or town or village. Cunard prices its product in terms of fare according to markets (and the matter of who gets the better deal is another debate entirely) but the drink prices, in dollars, most certainly reflect big city hotel, bar or restaurant prices in the United States and I think also comparable to those in similar places in the U.K. Cunard muddies the waters a bit by all this new "measure" nonsense although, again, I think the smaller measure is a workaround for those complaining about price AND also to get under the $12 limit for the free drinks for Grill passenger promotion that Cunard periodically offers to the US market. The added confusion about charging for mixers is... needless and pointless for sure.

But at least this thread is about something far more important than dress codes, no? Booze and bucks trumps tuxes and gowns any day. Or should.

Actually the $18 on land was the price in a bar as I mentioned in my post, what I carried on board cost $9, so $29 in total and a wine I like.

So I think it is a saving. $11.25 per bottle when I do the maths.

No tip to the server either because I served myself, I brought the bottle to the table and wasn’t offered for it to be placed in an ice bucket for someone to serve it to me. Only given a bill to sign for the $20. Why would I tip someone for doing nothing and already been charged $20 for ‘corkage’ and there’s no cork in the bottle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It wasn't my post but if wine is $18 in a bar, it's probably only £5 in a shop in the UK. Those sums make a bit more sense.

Thank you. Actually it was £6 per bottle

I agree with you completely. And for the more expensive bottles I completely understand. But when someone comments they aren't paying $35 for a bottle on board when they can purchase and bring it on for $18, I feel inclined to point out what they're actually saying. :-)

I have spent a fair amount to cruise with my family of 7. I fully intend to enjoy a beverage or 2 on board, and realize the inflated price that goes along with it. ;)

As per my reply, please re read my post. I mentioned a wine I could buy for $18 in a licensed premises, not the store where I bought it from at 50% less than that.

Ooops I just deleted my wordy post before posting so to summarise. We have 2 x 2 week sailings from Southampton over the coming months. We drink red wine for my husband and white for myself, opting for the cheapest bottles available from the wine list. At home we buy the M&S wine when it’s on offer at 2 for £12 and buy 6 save 20% making each bottle £4.80. We’ve thought about doing this before but haven’t bothered as it’s “too much hassle”. Can someone tell me please, if you’ve taken your own onboard, when do you take the wine to the MDR and do you take it when you need a new one or hand them over earlier in the day, one at a time or all your stock. Thanks.

PS I can see why people take an expensive or special bottle onboard but wondered how much of a cheapskate I would look if we take our lower priced bottles on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ooops I just deleted my wordy post before posting so to summarise. We have 2 x 2 week sailings from Southampton over the coming months. We drink red wine for my husband and white for myself, opting for the cheapest bottles available from the wine list. At home we buy the M&S wine when it’s on offer at 2 for £12 and buy 6 save 20% making each bottle £4.80. We’ve thought about doing this before but haven’t bothered as it’s “too much hassle”. Can someone tell me please, if you’ve taken your own onboard, when do you take the wine to the MDR and do you take it when you need a new one or hand them over earlier in the day, one at a time or all your stock. Thanks.

PS I can see why people take an expensive or special bottle onboard but wondered how much of a cheapskate I would look if we take our lower priced bottles on.

We took our bottle of sparkling wine down the night before we wanted it (for my birthday) and gave it to the sommelier. It was waiting for us in an ice bucket when we arrived for dinner, no messing . Can't remember how much it was but we don't spend big on wine and incidentally we are still waiting to be charged corkage :D

Like for comparison for Cunard to US prices might seem OK but it is obvious that drink prices in US are generally dearer than UK that is why most, not all, say drink prices on Cunard are expensive for UK cruisers.

Nope, I'm English. If I was comparing them to the pub at the end of my road then yes they are expensive.

I also think the vast majority of people who complain about prices are on this forum and not actually drinking in the bar on Cunard. Not once did I hear a complaint. I expected to pay a higher price. Can you imagine if the drinks were as cheap as the pub down the road, the complaints then would be of a ship full of drunken louts!

Edited by cook68

Well this cheapskate brazenly carried said bottle first to the pub [unopened] had a pre-dinner drink then carried it into the restaurant. I did not notice anyone faint nor point any fingers. Really don't let this forum put you off. Our sailing last week on QM2 was full of so many different kinds of people from all walks of life including a Dame we met. All wonderful down to earth people without any judgments.

• Like 1

To answer your questions (apologies for the length of it too, but from the comments on this thread I believe I need to justify my views) we cruise primarily with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and MSC. RCI & Celebrity allow 2 bottles of wine/champagne at initial embarkation per cabin for in room consumption, in public areas they attract a $15 corkage fee ($25 for Celebrity).

MSC do not allow any. We are to sail with NCL later in the year and they allow wine/champagne to be brought on board at initial embarkation and are charge $15 per 750ml bottle or $30 per magnum regardless of where you consume the bottle.

A beverage package on RCI can be purchased for $49.50 pppd (including gratuity) if purchased by D+ members, or in a sale prior to travel, that enables drinks up to $13 per serving. This package also enables you to purchase wine by the bottle with a 40% discount off bottles costing less than $100. Celebrity classic beverage package is often included in the cruise fare and for $11.80 pppd you can upgrade to the premium package which again, like RCI covers all beverages up to $13 per serving.

Very few of our wines of choice on either RCI or Celebrity are priced above $13, on average $9 - $12, unlike Cunard where we found very little less than $13 for a 250ml measure, which obviously would then attract a 15% gratuity.

The prices on MSC are even more reasonable at $7.50 per serving plus 15% gratuity which is why they can ban the carrying of wine onboard at embarkation.

As for NCL, the Ultimate Beverage package covers servings up to $15 and prices of wine appear to be around $12 per large glass.

As for ambiance, our view is that in the Britannia dining room, Commodore club, Queens Room, Chart Room and definitely the Golden Lion on QM2 this felt no more exclusive than Vintages (RCI), or Cellar Masters (Celebrity) which are the signature wine bars on those lines, each with very experienced sommeliers. The wine bars on MSC, again although the staff may not be considered by some as sommeliers, are extremely knowledgeable on the wines offered, especially when you consider the prices charged and they serve beverages with complimentary tapas.

None of this to us, justifies what we consider high prices on Cunard.

Nope, I'm English. If I was comparing them to the pub at the end of my road then yes they are expensive.

I also think the vast majority of people who complain about prices are on this forum and not actually drinking in the bar on Cunard. Not once did I hear a complaint. I expected to pay a higher price. Can you imagine if the drinks were as cheap as the pub down the road, the complaints then would be of a ship full of drunken louts!

An Englishman doesn't complain old boy.One just doesn't drink so much as one could,lol.