New cunarder

Mickb

This is a video showing the HAL Konigsdam’s promenade deck ( or lack of it)

I understand that the proposed 4th Cunarder will be built on the Konigsdam’s platform. I have always thought the Prom decks on The Queens are some of the most attractive areas on the ship.

I do hope the end product doesn’t end up like the Konigsdam!

I’ve travelled on QV and QE, including the World Cruise in 2016 on QE; the Promenade decks are integral to the ambiance of both ships. Having just seen that video of the Knonigsdam-OMG I really hope that Cunard has better sense than to mess-up their latest ship.

This is a video showing the HAL Konigsdam’s promenade deck ( or lack of it)

I understand that the proposed 4th Cunarder will be built on the Konigsdam’s platform. I have always thought the Prom decks on The Queens are some of the most attractive areas on the ship.

I do hope the end product doesn’t end up like the Konigsdam!

I'm sure that you speak for us all.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Unless "they" resite the traditional promenade deck on the upper decks, this is what you're going to get on the new Cunarder. Just is. This is indeed a re-tweaked "K-DAM" and as such there is simply no way the promenade deck is going to be any different. Placement of the lifeboats in this manner allows another deck of unobstructed veranda cabins and... $$$$$ talks more than our preferences. They just hope we'll "get over it" and will, no doubt, put a half dozen steamer chairs in some corner somewhere on the ship to say "see, there, we listened".

Guest SilverHengroen
Unless "they" resite the traditional promenade deck on the upper decks, this is what you're going to get on the new Cunarder. Just is. This is indeed a re-tweaked "K-DAM" and as such there is simply no way the promenade deck is going to be any different. Placement of the lifeboats in this manner allows another deck of unobstructed veranda cabins and... $$$$$ talks more than our preferences. They just hope we'll "get over it" and will, no doubt, put a half dozen steamer chairs in some corner somewhere on the ship to say "see, there, we listened".

The rooms behind the boats on K-dam are actually sold as ‘partially obstructed’ as their view is still, well, partially obstructed by the boats. I think the problem would be that this wouldn’t just be a case of ‘moving the boats a bit higher’ - there would be significant cost involved through re-designing the davits and reconfiguring the superstructure to ensure there’s adequate clearance so they can’t bang into anything, making sure the weight higher on the ship doesn’t compromise stability etc - and at that it’s a significant cost that wouldn’t bring in any extra revenue, even if it didn’t particularly affect the price the lowest tier of rooms could be sold for.

Doesn't work.... the width of the "promenade" deck has been substantially altered, too... it's too narrow for deck chairs even if there was a view. Indeed, parts of this "promenade" are so narrow two people couldn't pass or walk abreast. It's really now just a lifeboat embarkation venue that works for the occasional stroller. I doubt they will even permit jogging on it owing to the varying widths. I did see a rather hopeful single wood bench in the YouTube video of K'Dam... we can fight for which of us gets to sit there. Looks really comfy, too.

So it appears that the "Vistas" are suddenly instant "classics" by being, most certainly, the last Carnival Group ships with a proper walk around promenade deck. Enjoy QUEEN VICTORIA, QUEEN ELIZABETH and QUEEN MARY 2 while they last because no matter how much you squint, hope and rail, the newest Cunarder just isn't going to have one.

........ and that is exactly what I am gonna do if they really get rid of one their trademark features- the prommenade deck- enjoying the current Queens as long as they are around! Anyway we will have to wait and see- when we see the first blocks in place we can start whining again! LOL.

If I am not mistaken the current QE/QV were derived from existing platforms. If you are not needing a brand new hull, you can as the customer move some superstructure bits around fairly easily. It is just the click of a mouse in the computer aided design system. So it is a marketing decision not a firm engineering constraint. I am happy to be able to walk all the way around the ship and see out from time to time. The promenade deck does not need to be 20 feet wide. I watched the video - the Koningsdam promenade deck seems fine to me. I was taken in by all the negative comments that were posted when the ship came out.

Edited by ew101

The Koinigsdam promenade looks a bit industrial to my eye. Lots of infrastructure in plain view - sort of like how Boston looked before they sunk the interstate during the Big Dig. I wouldn't be doing much reading in a deck chair on a new Queen dressed out like that.

We might book if it were on cool weather routes otherwise our preference would only be for ships with a full uninterrupted promenade deck. Walking the deck after a meal taking in the sea air is certainly an integral part of our enjoyment for a cruise holiday.