QM2 - Need help with balcony cabin selection please

snowglobe

Hello,

I’m not at all familiar with the Queen Mary 2. Which cabin categories have the acrylic see-through balconies? Being offered a mid-ship 11th deck cabin for July 2019, but we’re concerned about being seasick that far up. Would appreciate your thoughts and sharing of info that can help with our choice. Thanks!

If you want to avoid the sheltered (metal) balconies to need to be on Deck 8 or above. Most of Deck 8 balconies are obstructed, there are BC & BF grade balconies fore and aft, if you want to be midships you will have to be on Deck 11. Decks 9 & 10 are suites.

Hope that helps

I have done many crossings and the ship doesn´t roll, so being high up doesnt induce seasickness. The rising and falling bow , though, made me feel uncomfortable sometimes, so I recommend mid-ships or aft, Deck 8 does have "obstructed view" balconys, so you might look at a lifeboat instead of the sea. Then, if you dont chose Queens Grill Suites ( Deck 9 mostly) or Princess Grill suites ( Deck 10), Deck 11, 12, and 13 remain for you to look at. The " Club" category might be worth to look at, same standard cabins but enhanced dining options.

For "Britannia Club" details browse the Cunard Web sites or this forum.

Dear Snowglobe, Deck 11 is fabulous. During our previous cruise on QM2 our friends were on deck 11 and we were lower down on a protected balcony. We visited them a couple of times. It was awesome. They select this deck every time. We have since booked a deck 11 balcony cabin for our 2019 voyage and is looking forward to this experience.

Hello,

I’m not at all familiar with the Queen Mary 2. Which cabin categories have the acrylic see-through balconies? Being offered a mid-ship 11th deck cabin for July 2019, but we’re concerned about being seasick that far up. Would appreciate your thoughts and sharing of info that can help with our choice. Thanks!

Britannia deck 11 Mid ships are great - no pitch and the QM2 really has no dramatic roll most of the time. In July having a glazed balcony is great, if not a windy crossing.

I would go for it.

We’re currently on the QM2 World Cruise, with a month to go of 5. We’re in 11028 with an acrylic balcony. It’s excellent and even on very high seas between New Zealand and Australia, there has been virtually no movement. We’ve had a look at the steel balconies but would not want one. There is absolutely no view when seated.

I’m blogging about the QM2 and the World Cruise on martinandjansjourney.com

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We’re currently on the QM2 World Cruise, with a month to go of 5. We’re in 11028 with an acrylic balcony. It’s excellent and even on very high seas between New Zealand and Australia, there has been virtually no movement. We’ve had a look at the steel balconies but would not want one. There is absolutely no view when seated.

I’m blogging about the QM2 and the World Cruise on martinandjansjourney.com

Loving your blog Martin, thanks for taking us along with you.

I've never been on Deck 11, so it's good to hear that you are happy with your balcony. How much of an overhang from Deck 12 is there ?

Loving your blog Martin, thanks for taking us along with you.

I've never been on Deck 11, so it's good to hear that you are happy with your balcony. How much of an overhang from Deck 12 is there ?

12 is directly above and so their balcony floor directly and exactly covers our balcony. But we get plenty of sunshine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually, how much of an overhang you get from Deck 11 depends on where on Deck 11 you book. Deck 12 bumps out for an open deck beginning at the Pavilion Pool just aft of the B lifts, as seen in the photo below - the open deck just below the lighted "Queen Mary." If you want to avoid this, choose a stateroom forward of the B lifts, 11056 or lower on port side or 11079 or lower on starboard (or forward of about 11052/11075 to avoid a shadow completely). The onboard booking office has been helpful in pointing this out and suggesting a stateroom forward of the bump-out of deck 12.

queen-mary-2_9241061_433600.940x1000.jpg

We had a balcony on deck 11 in 2016, although nice, I did not

Like the overhang, booked again on deck 11 for Caribbean in November and made sure not to be under the overhang, if you do not want much sun it is perfect ..no issues for motion crossing the back and forth.