Press release about Internet speeds

caribill

Is there any place to find a schedule of when it is being installed on the various ships?

We have three cruises scheduled--I know we won't have it on the first one' date=' but.....[/quote']

Since they are so behind on things like the internet and Ocean Medallion, I would take the press releases or schedules with a grain of salt!

Looks like they are trying to get the faster internet like the airlines are using. However, I sailed Emerald last July and used wifi all week. It worked fine; not as fast as home; but none the less was able to upload my blog to facebook with all the pictures in reasonable time

Is there any place to find a schedule of when it is being installed on the various ships?

We have three cruises scheduled--I know we won't have it on the first one' date=' but.....[/quote']

I had spoken to someone down at Princess earlier today about a related issue ... she told me that there is no schedule and the next ship to come out with it will be on the Royal. There was no scheduled date when that would be completed.

If there were, after the medallion rollout schedule, would anyone believe it?

As princess is buying the service from SES, just as Royal Caribbean does for VOOM,

I don't see why medallion net would be faster than VOOM.

And, it it is, Royal Caribbean will probably be 'fixing' it would SES.

I read the article, thank you for posting.

When it comes to technology, I'm as dumb as dirt.

Could someone tell me, if I'm visiting Princess Cay on a Princess non-Medallion ship, am I able to take advantage of the (fast) internet? I understand I would have to purchase the internet plan.

Thanks!

I don't have a list, but I can confirm we had unlimited, fast internet on the Regal last December. We were not part of the Ocean Medallion test group, but I believe we received it because we were platinum in the loyalty category.

The operative word in the PR is "ATTEMPT to make......". Don't get your hopes up too soon.

I watched the attempt (as per post #7) and they far exceeded the speed in the press notice - 2.6 Gbps.

Whether this is what we will get all the time and in all cruise locations is another matter! But it still beats offerings from rivals like VOOM from RCCL.

Sandra

Edited by dides

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if Princess plans on offering unlimited internet access plans like Celebrity does?

They are being offered on ships that have the high speed upgrade currently.

And the internet on the Caribbean Princess last week was very slow and still priced per minute.

What internet package was given to the Platinum/Elite?

On the ships that have the unlimited internet, the middle package (of the three available) was complimentary to Platinum and Elite. You could upgrade it to the highest speed package for $10 per day.

On the Caribbean last week, it was a 250 minute package (10 night cruise)

Remember that the latency isn't going to drop until new technology is put into orbit...bandwidth is only half of the equation.

The new system does use new technology already in orbit - Medium Earth Orbit (MEO) satellite constellations in 1,000 mile orbits vice Geostationary Orbit satellites in 22,500 mile orbits.

Latency (the time it takes a radio signal to go from earth to satellite and back) is significantly less due to the shorter distance - basically down to terrestrial ranges.

The higher speeds are attained because it takes a lot less power to throw a signal 1,000 miles vice 22,500 miles AND they can combine the bandwidth from all the MEO satellites they can "see" at any given time.