You Loose your Promo Accepting an Upsell

cruzsnooze

Do you have the upsell email/offer from Princess? I worked with a TA on all of the them and she forwarded me the emails since they went to her first.

I just pulled up one of my old offers and this was on the bottom as part of the upsell. You get the promotions that you had based on what you booked and paid for prior to purchasing this exclusive upgrade offer.

Is this no longer on the bottom of the upsell email? I cut and pasted it below.

Upgrade cost is in addition to the fare already paid and is per person and based on double occupancy. Single occupancy pays 200%. Travel Protection premium may increase, if previously purchased. Offer is applicable to the guests named on this notification who are currently booked in the categories listed above. Guests booked in other stateroom categories are not eligible for this offer. This offer is capacity controlled and based on availability. Future Cruise Deposit program Onboard Credit (OBC) does not increase as a result of acceptance of this offer. If the promotion you are booked on has varying amenities by stateroom type, the amenities provided will be based on the category booked and paid for prior to purchasing this exclusive upgrade offer.

I

I will resolve the gratuity issue by removing my gratuity on board and no I won't feel guilt about it.

While I understand your frustration over all of this, the room steward and dining staff have nothing to do with this issue whatsoever.

As mentioned above, I would keep at Princess until this was fixed. Something has gone terribly wrong here and I wouldn't let it be. Facebook problems aside, social media can work wonders to rectify problems.

Wow - punish the cruise line by refusing to tip the person who probably gets paid the least and works the hardest. No matter how upset I would be at the cruise line, I would never with hold tips from a room steward who cleans my room 2x a day and probably works 10 plus hours per day for 6 plus months at a time with out a day off.

Agree 100%, please don't screw the crew.

This is wrong. You are supposed to keep all your perks when you accept an upsell!

Hi Moki,

I totally agree with you. So I call my TA to check and she said Princess changed there policy.

You will lose your perks if you accept an up-sell. :mad: My TA said she would have told me not to take that up-sell.

Tony

I will call one more time tomorrow. The upsell was not in writing, it was over the phone.

Since my gratuity was already included in my promo I am not going to double pay, that's how I feel and YMMV. The crew gets paid the same regardless of your leaving or removing tips since it doesn't all go to them anyway. That topic has been beaten to death and I've written my information on those threads. After tomorrow I am not going to pursue it further, hours and hours on hold and the frustration aren't worth it to me. I will come back and post what happens.

I will call one more time tomorrow. The upsell was not in writing, it was over the phone.

Since my gratuity was already included in my promo I am not going to double pay, that's how I feel and YMMV. The crew gets paid the same regardless of your leaving or removing tips since it doesn't all go to them anyway. That topic has been beaten to death and I've written my information on those threads. After tomorrow I am not going to pursue it further, hours and hours on hold and the frustration aren't worth it to me. I will come back and post what happens.

Your issue is with your travel agent which is pretty much an order taker.

Ask your TA where the email is. Unless they changed the way they do it completely from February, it would be a huge change for there not to be one. You can't be the only one who received the upsell, so did they call your TA and leave a message about your offer?

This really is a terrible change to their upsell program.

I'd ask to see the email the TA received. It almost sounds like she re-fared you (where you would lose your perks) instead of processing it as an upsell.

I received an upsell offer this week and it doesn't say anything about losing my perks. In fact it specifically states that I keep the amenities based on the cabin I originally booked. The fine print states:

Upgrade cost is in addition to the fare already paid and is per person and based on double occupancy. Single occupancy pays 200%. Travel Protection premium may increase, if previously purchased. Offer is applicable to the guests named on this notification who are currently booked in the categories listed above. Guests booked in other stateroom categories are not eligible for this offer. This offer is capacity controlled and based on availability. Future Cruise Deposit program Onboard Credit (OBC) does not increase as a result of acceptance of this offer.

If the promotion you are booked on has varying amenities by stateroom type, the amenities provided will be based on the category booked and paid for prior to purchasing this exclusive upgrade offer.

I'd ask to see the email the TA received. It almost sounds like she re-fared you (where you would lose your perks) instead of processing it as an upsell.

I received an upsell offer this week and it doesn't say anything about losing my perks. In fact it specifically states that I keep the amenities based on the cabin I originally booked. The fine print states:

Upgrade cost is in addition to the fare already paid and is per person and based on double occupancy. Single occupancy pays 200%. Travel Protection premium may increase, if previously purchased. Offer is applicable to the guests named on this notification who are currently booked in the categories listed above. Guests booked in other stateroom categories are not eligible for this offer. This offer is capacity controlled and based on availability. Future Cruise Deposit program Onboard Credit (OBC) does not increase as a result of acceptance of this offer.

If the promotion you are booked on has varying amenities by stateroom type, the amenities provided will be based on the category booked and paid for prior to purchasing this exclusive upgrade offer.

So that's the same email that I have always gotten!

I think the clue lies in the phrase, "my big box TA". They aren't noted for doing anything for the customer except giving good OBC. A good TA would never let this happen. I know mine wouldn't. I would send email to customerrelations@princesscruises.com which is an address that has gotten me follow up phone calls. I think this is crap and your TA likely blew it and is giving you a BS story to try to cover themselves. Don't just let the TA handle it anymore. If you call Princess and the phone menu asks if you are working with a TA say NO and get a real person to talk with rather than a message saying they can't help you.

Wow - punish the cruise line by refusing to tip the person who probably gets paid the least and works the hardest. ...

Time honored tradition in service industries. Enough people do this and pretty soon the cruise line can't get staff. Something has to change. ;)

Just today I found out that the upsell I took lost my perks, So I paid an extra $2100 for the upgrade and lost hundreds in OBC and Gratuity on the 3 for free so the upgrade was more like $3000. So sorry I took it now. $3000 for a 12 day cruise is not what I would have accepted.

It used to be you kept the promo you booked with. They should have stated they changed the policy.

I plan to remove my gratuity on this voyage since I booked with it paid - and there's nothing I can do about the lost OBC. Resolutions were unable to help me, my big box TA called them.

If you booked with the AIBP that's a big loss on top of the upsell costs so consider carefully what the actual costs will be and make an informed decision.

I've accepted two upsells and kept my perks both times. Hope everything works out for you.....:):):)

Bob

Hi Moki,

I totally agree with you. So I call my TA to check and she said Princess changed there policy.

You will lose your perks if you accept an up-sell. :mad: My TA said she would have told me not to take that up-sell.

Tony

Wow! Thanks for calling your TA! This is important information to know. I probably won’t take any more upsells in the future, if they keep this new policy.

I almost never take an upsell as they are really not that great to me. Thanks to the OP and others for bringing this to my and others attention. Princess seems to be moving towards the practices of other cruise lines (like one that has gigantic ships) and that is sad.

Still unsure about this though....how can there be nothing on paper and only be over the phone? Princess called the TA and the TA called you? This all seems a touch shady to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just today I found out that the upsell I took lost my perks, So I paid an extra $2100 for the upgrade and lost hundreds in OBC and Gratuity on the 3 for free so the upgrade was more like $3000. So sorry I took it now. $3000 for a 12 day cruise is not what I would have accepted.

Assuming that is $2100 for two people, that is $87.50/day/person for the 12 days.

That must be one heck of an upsell. What type cabin did you go from and to?

Even if you went from the lowest cost inside cabin to a full suite, I would not consider it worthwhile at that price even if all the original amenities were kept.

The crew gets paid the same regardless of your leaving or removing tips.

cruzsnooze,

I don't think your statement is true. Are you saying princess keeps all the gratuity?

Since you take 4 cruises each year mostly in suite, you're wealthy enough to pay tips. Please don't punish the hard working crew. If you switch position, what would you feel? I wouldn't feel right if I receive good service and pay nothing.

I think your best bet is try to get your original offer back. If can't, please get a written notice of the upsell offer. Princess should have forwarded it to your TA, that's how your TA learnt it. I doubt Princess will simply call your TA directly as they might not have your TA's direct phone number, and your TA is to resend it.

I hope you can resolve the issue. Good luck.

Hi Moki,

Tony

Glad there is some confirmation of this , thanks for calling your TA and helping me understand what happened.

Assuming that is $2100 for two people, that is $87.50/day/person for the 12 days.

That must be one heck of an upsell. What type cabin did you go from and to?

Even if you went from the lowest cost inside cabin to a full suite, I would not consider it worthwhile at that price even if all the original amenities were kept.

I went from a covered mini on deck 8 to a penthouse suite mid ship deck 12. So I gained club class dining and the thermal suite which has the hot beds I love. I didn't find the cost prohibited, I've taken upsells to suites before and like the extra real estate and few perks although as an elite tier they aren't as valuable as they would be to a non elite tier.

I went from a covered mini on deck 8 to a penthouse suite mid ship deck 12. So I gained club class dining and the thermal suite which has the hot beds I love. I didn't find the cost prohibited, I've taken upsells to suites before and like the extra real estate and few perks although as an elite tier they aren't as valuable as they would be to a non elite tier.

On our cruise last week, I was surprised to find that the "thermal suite" perk of a suite was use of the thermal suite on one port day only (I had thought it was a length of cruise pass as it is on Celebrity). No big deal as I didn't even get there once and our next cruise is on a ship that doesn't have the thermal suite.

We have several hundred dollars in perks on our next two cruises--OBC, specialty dining, and gratuities. Those would have to factor in if we were to lose them by accepting an upgrade.

Your upgrade still sounds expensive to me. Wonder what the suite cost would have been when you initially purchased.

Glad there is some confirmation of this , thanks for calling your TA and helping me understand what happened.

Have you asked your TA for your email offer of your upsell? As others are still getting emails this week with the upsell offer, your TA must have it. It would be interesting to see if the wording on the bottom of yours is different than what others have.