Royal cunard ball

Radar boomer

Thanks Host Hattie - I also wondered that, too! My TA crossing in August is showing:

Day 2 - Gala Evening - Royal Cunard Ball

Day 4 - Gala Evening

Day 6 - Gala Evening - Roaring Twenties Ball

I had no idea what to wear for a Royal Cunard Ball.

Now that I know it's a Red & Gold Dress code I'm thrilled - I shopped for evening gowns yesterday, and found a beautiful one in red, which was a color I hadn't originally considered for an evening gown, but it's my favorite dress color, and I always get tons of compliments when I wear red, so this is exciting!

Thanks Host Hattie - I also wondered that, too! My TA crossing in August is showing:

Day 2 - Gala Evening - Royal Cunard Ball

Day 4 - Gala Evening

Day 6 - Gala Evening - Roaring Twenties Ball

I had no idea what to wear for a Royal Cunard Ball.

Now that I know it's a Red & Gold Dress code I'm thrilled - I shopped for evening gowns yesterday, and found a beautiful one in red, which was a color I hadn't originally considered for an evening gown, but it's my favorite dress color, and I always get tons of compliments when I wear red, so this is exciting!

Sounds like our cruise ,,are you in the August 3rd crossing?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well I'm really confused now! I'm booked on a transatlantic and return crossing in May (just a few weeks' time yipee) and on the itinerary for the NY to Southampton crossing, one of the nights is listed as a Royal Cunard Ball. I wasn't sure what the dress code for this was, so I emailed Cunard and this was their reply:

Thank you for your email.

Please see the description for the Royal Cunard Ball, this also falls under the theme 'Black & White or Cunard Ball'

Theme Description:

A Cunard tradition and the first Royal Event of the voyage. Includes the classic “Officers Gavotte” dance.

Attire Suggestions:

Formal Wear - Gentlemen - Tuxedo, Ladies - Evening Gown. Appropriate black and white gowns if you wish and accessories but not compulsory to be black & white.

I hope this information has now helped answer your enquiry.

So I have planned for two black and white nights (one on the way there and one on the way back) and have bought a second black and white gown. Looking at the list on this thread, it says that the theme will be red and/or gold!

Now I know it won't matter if I wear black and white, but I quite like the idea of red/gold - so I wish I'd waited :(

Jo

Please see the description for the Royal Cunard Ball, this also falls under the theme 'Black & White or Cunard Ball'

Theme Description:

A Cunard tradition and the first Royal Event of the voyage. Includes the classic “Officers Gavotte” dance.

Attire Suggestions:

Formal Wear - Gentlemen - Tuxedo, Ladies - Evening Gown. Appropriate black and white gowns if you wish and accessories but not compulsory to be black & white.

See - this is just confusing! If it was a Black & White Ball, I would feel out of place wearing a red dress; I guess I should just buy the red dress, and choose to wear that on another of the Gala nights if it's definitely a Black & White Ball...

The "Royal Cunard Ball" is a new theme this year, beginning on QM2 with the crossing departing May 17th. I noticed we have a Royal Cunard Ball on our June 10th crossing when the dress code for that voyage was first posted in voyage personaliser in mid-February. At that time I was unable to find a description of that theme on line. I can't say for certain, but I suspect the information about the themes for May - December 2018 which Host Hattie posted earlier in this thread is quite recent (probably only posted within the past week or so).

My theory is that Cunard customer service may not have been provided with the complete information about the themes for May 2018 onward when they answered "Ilovemyuke" saying the Royal Cunard Ball theme is the same as the Black & White or Cunard Ball theme. We probably won't know for sure until we hear back from someone on of one of the May voyages, but I am going to operate under the assumption the document Host Hattie posted describing the Royal Cunard Ball theme as "Red or Gold Dress code" is correct.

Regards, John

Edited by bluemarble

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the themed nights. I have already purchased my dresses and neither fit any of the themes for our voyage 10th June. Does it really matter that at the Royal Cunard Ball [dresscode gold/red] my dress will be BLUE! I could wear red or gold shoes and accessories but that dress is definitely not red or gold.:rolleyes:

Since I had the same question on my first TA, it is a perfectly reasonable question! No, you don't have to wear them to dinner. I have never seen one at dinner, and at least outside of the ballroom, the were few and far between after dinner. I carted masks from home and, as two rather shy people, never put them on.

Even if you are in the ballroom you may decide not to wear a mask. At around 10pm there is a parade in the ballroom and those with masks are encouraged to put them on and parade around the ballroom floor. Most people don't wear the masks for the rest of the night.

On my first Cunard cruise, a transatlantic, my friends and I turned up to dinner with masks and quickly discovered our mistake! It was a pity as we had made our own masks to match our clothes.

I was thinking this, too! My family will be on the August 3 crossing, returning to NYC on the second half of our round trip. I purchased by daughters' 20's themed dresses this past weekend. Getting very excited!

Our Q.V. cruise in August will be our first on Cunard. All these different themes and colours are really putting me into a panic. Do not get me wrong. We have cruised for years and always observed formal nights by wearing an evening dress for me and my husband a kilt or tux. However how do people cope weightwise on fly cruises? What percentage of people do not or cannot follow the suggested attire at the balls? We have 2 black and white nights, a Royal Cunard night and Masquerade night.

Hi Floflegs. You don't have to follow the suggested attire, just adhere to the formal dress code and you will be fine. Most people follow black and white but these are suggestions, not requirements, for the themed evenings.

For Roaring 20s, will we still be expected to wear long dresses? Or will a 20s style shorter (knee length) dress be considered ok?

I usually wear a shorter dress (20s style with fringe) for the roaring twenties ball. So do many others. In my experience this is one of the better followed themes and I have seen some lovely 20s style dresses, nearly all of which have been knee length.

I usually wear a shorter dress (20s style with fringe) for the roaring twenties ball. So do many others. In my experience this is one of the better followed themes and I have seen some lovely 20s style dresses, nearly all of which have been knee length.

great, thanks!

That was my experience, too. I'm disappointed that our crossing won't have a 20s night. I love my fringed dress!

• 1 month later...

We are!

Just been trawling through posts relating to the 3 formal nights. I’m assuming that you don’t have to follow the theme as long as you are wearing formal evening wear (ie roaring twenties night)?