Picture-A-Week 2017 - Week 52

pierces

I first had smoked whiskey while cruising to the Southern Caribbean. I was nearly as impressed by the process as by the smoothing and smokey flavor added to an already good drink. Not long after, I ran into the machine used to generate the smoke while browsing Amazon for sous vide accessories. When I saw it at Bed Bath & Beyond with a 20% coupon, resistance was futile. After adding a 2 liter Erlenmeyer flask to the bar tools, I gave it a try to see if it really was that easy. It was. It will remain a special occasion drink and the pictured setup was Applewood smoked Scotch shared with my son (the family’s other Scotch drinker) on New Year’s Eve. A smokey, smooth ending to 2017.

Smokin'

p2696526827-5.jpg

Happy New Year!

Dave

Haven't tried a smoked scotch or whiskey yet - might need to give that a try (at a bar, before I go buy a smoker!). Nice shot.

Here are my last bird photos of 2017:

The beautiful male painted bunting, sitting prettily and quietly in the shade on a palm stump - I was shooting with a teleconverter at F8 so needed ISO 6,400 for this shady shot - but his colors are worth it:

original.jpg

The giant wood stork, flying past in a cloudless but hazy/foggy sky:

original.jpg

Beautiful tricolor heron, all lit by late afternoon sun, flying low over the wetlands:

original.jpg

A glossy ibis, showing off a little bit of that 'gloss' that gives him the name, as he flies in to land:

original.jpg

Sunset at the wetlands is a sight to behold, as thousands of birds come streaming in from all directions to roost for the evening, all together. After the sun had gone down, and just the last light was glowing in the sky, I decided to grab a silhouette of glossy ibises coming in great flocks to the wetlands:

original.jpg

Here are my last bird photos of 2017:

As usual, Justin...ridiculously good birds. We have the great weather here in SoCal but our birds are dull as mud. Or maybe dull as sand, since technically we are a desert.

Anyway, thanks for your contributions. The Picture-A-Week is supposed to be a place where people can post any photo that is meaningful to them and hopefully inspire folks to get out and use their cameras. Your photos have helped keep the PAW threads alive and likely inspired a lot of people to step outside of their photo rut and try something new.

Happy New Year to you and of course, all of the other regulars!

Dave

I first had smoked whiskey while cruising to the Southern Caribbean. I was nearly as impressed by the process as by the smoothing and smokey flavor added to an already good drink. Not long after, I ran into the machine used to generate the smoke while browsing Amazon for sous vide accessories. When I saw it at Bed Bath & Beyond with a 20% coupon, resistance was futile. After adding a 2 liter Erlenmeyer flask to the bar tools, I gave it a try to see if it really was that easy. It was. It will remain a special occasion drink and the pictured setup was Applewood smoked Scotch shared with my son (the family’s other Scotch drinker) on New Year’s Eve. A smokey, smooth ending to 2017.

Smokin'

p2696526827-5.jpg

Happy New Year!

Dave

Great picture. All the times we have sailed the Caribbean (and it is a lot) -- I have never heard of smoked whiskey.