Martin and Jan's Journey on the QM2

BJLord

Hi - I just wanted to say thank you very much for your interesting and very informative blog. I think you will be leaving the ship in Southampton just as we will be boarding for our TA round trip in just under two weeks' time. We are really excited now and are better informed about what to expect from reading about your experiences and looking at your photos.

Thanks again - Jo :D

Gosh! The memories of my WC on QE flood back-I’m saving my few pennies for a part of one - unless I hit the Lottery:D then I can take a whole one again! I’ll be on QM2 later this year and the fine pictures in this blog heighten my anticipation. Thanks to you both for sharing your wonderful time and observations. :D

I have read your post on missing ports on the world cruise.

We were on last years world cruise from Sydney to Shanghai a 21 day segment.

We missed three ports. The first one was Cairns we were supposed to anchor and tender. We did anchor Immigration officials boarded the ship and processed our passports we did not tender. No explanation was given.

We were supposed to go to BruneiThe stop was cancelled they had not dredged the harbour!!!!.

The next port that was cancelled was Taiwan. We had an extra day at sea on the way to Hong Kong.

As you have pointed out this is very poor planning by Cunard.

There were only 200 people doing the full world cruise

It was very much a segmental trip with a large number of passengers constantly getting on and off.

Food in the Brittanica dining room was poor with poor selection.

The entertainment was poor with the exception of the special lecturers. The cruise director was seldom seen.

I am not surprised that a number of people wanted to leave the ship

Very poor organisation by Cunard.

I have absolutely loved this wonderful blog! Thanks for posting it, Martin. We are hoping for a QM2 2021 World Cruise, and I have loved traveling vicariously with you and Jan. Your style of touring the ports seems very much like what we will do, partly out of necessity, as our son uses a wheelchair and may not be able to do many excursions (or tenders). Still, your walk around, find some coffee and Internet, do some exploring, grab a bite to eat and a refreshing beverage routine sounds just lovely. I hope you've enjoyed your adventure!

Many thanks, Martin, for taking the time to create such an interesting blog. We are very interested for a couple of reasons. First, we have sailed on six different lines but never Cunard. We will be doing a crossing later this year so have been paying close attention all comments about the ship. Second, we enjoy your take on the ports we have been to and perhaps even more, your take on ports we have not yet visited. Much appreciated, thanks again.

I will in all probability never go on a world cruise but thank you Martin and Jan for allowing me to follow yours. I have loved reading the blog and I love your zest for doing things off piest. Welcome home.

@HostHattie forgive me for answering for someone else but quoted in the blog "300 or so full world cruisers"