Athens or Delphi

WallyNDiane

We have never been to Greece. My first thought was to do an excursion of the Parthenon, Plaka and the new Archelogical Museum. There is a 6 hour 45 minute tour that visits those locations. But I am fearful that there is not enough time for each location.

Celebrity offers a long 10 1/2 hour trip to Delphi including the Delphi Musuem and a stop at Arachova.

This tour fills the entire day and looks exciting as well.

I love architecture and I hate missing the Acropolis but that Delphi tour looks interesting. I would love to hear comments on these options. If we do Delphi, can you see the Acropolis/Parthenon from the port? Thanks to all who comment.

Piraeus port is about a 20-30 minute drive from Athens center. It is quite easy to self-tour in Athens -- many options exist including an express bus into the historic center (close to the Acropolis) that leaves from the port terminal, or a HOHO bus, or even a taxi ride into town.

I think it would be a shame to skip Athens to see Delphi. The drive would be a long, long one, probably about 6 of those 10 hours would be spent on the bus. Your time at Delphi would be relatively short -- much shorter than the time you'd have to spend in Athens, even if you did the ship tour.

Yes, Delphi is a beautiful site. But Athens is Athens -- a primary site if ever there was one. Delphi is for a second visit.

The Acropolis is amazing (not just the Parthenon but the approach and the other buildings) but it should be visited early before the swarms of tourists arrive. The Plaka is just a tourist trap, but the new Acropolis museum is very interesting and well done.

If you went on your own, using a taxi to get to the Acropolis first thing, you probably would even have time to see the Greek and Roman agoras (very close), which would round out the picture nicely.

There is a ton of info on this board on ways to tour Athens on your own -- do a little reading and come back and ask more questions if needed.

If you have never been to Athens, i would tick off the city sights first. Acropolis, Plaka etc.

We have been to Athens many times and therefore booked a (ship organised) tour to Delphi last July on Cunard. It was a LONG day that involved a fair bit of driving, but it was a "small " tour with only 20 or so guests. Plenty of time at the sights,photo stops, a delicious lunch

A really, really good day and we would do it again in a heart beat.

But as it is your FIRST time in Athens....

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry but Athens is a must and will need to come before Delphi. In May we did a day tour to Delphi prior to heading to the ship. What a long day! Loved Delphi but it was much smaller and crowded than I imagined. I’m glad we went though because we have seen much of Athens already. Just save it for next time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 months later...

I totally agree, visiting the Acropolis is a must. If you have the time, maybe you could arrange for a private tour that will include a visit to the Acropolis and then to Delphi and back. I would suggest that you contact Private Greece Tours to find out if this is possible. Nikos, the owner, answered our e-mails quickly and was very helpful.