Hooray ! Splendour is Going

If these new ships were smaller and held less passengers, would that not flip the supply and demand more in their favor and possibly cause prices to increase even higher than they are now? I think the smaller ships can be fun and relaxing, but for those with families the big ones have a lot more to offer.

Possibly, if there was not competition from other cruise lines.

Yeah, like Bob said, it's less about (unless you are an exclusive provider) YOUR supply/demand and more about EVERYONE'S supply/demand.

There are plenty of other ships sailing. You can only charge a premium when you have something someone can't get on other ships that they are willing to pay for.

• 3 months later...

Terri

Couldn't agree with you more. I prefer the small 2000 to mid size ships. The "monster ships" are becoming the destination. So why don' they just park the ship out to sea, and let everyone play on it for a week. Could cut down the costs since they won't have to use so much fuel. Also a lot more difficult to really form close friendships while on board, with so many people. With 5000 plus passengers I hope nothing serious ever happens while at sea.

Shame to see a ship going.

She has served the fleet well and I am sure I would have enjoyed any cruise on her had I taken one.

But, this is the 21st century and I personally want things to do on cruise ships so that's why I am cruising on Allure on Sunday.;)

I get bored during sea days on ships without at least a Royal Promenade and Ice Rink.

However one day they will need to build something smaller because it is starting to restrict itineraries (namely South America, Middle East and Baltic) and RCI can't be exclusively China, Caribbean and Med.

I couldn't agree more. I love the small and midsize ships. The Behemoth of the Seas are just not my kind of ship.

This! If I'm on a cruise, I want to know I'm on a ship. If I want a resort, I'll keep my feet on dry ground. I don't get this "it's a ship but you don't feel like you're on one" mentality - THEN DON'T GO ON A SHIP! There are plenty of non-ship places to vacation. Quit ruining cruising for the rest of us with these monstrosities.

Good point - the new big ships have limited ports that suck. We have no interest whatsoever in Oasis or Allure for that reason.

Don't know why anyone would be "happy" to see a ship go.......:rolleyes:

"Happy" to see a ship go:confused: Some folks have deep rooted issues....:rolleyes:

This! If I'm on a cruise, I want to know I'm on a ship. If I want a resort, I'll keep my feet on dry ground. I don't get this "it's a ship but you don't feel like you're on one" mentality - THEN DON'T GO ON A SHIP! There are plenty of non-ship places to vacation. Quit ruining cruising for the rest of us with these monstrosities.

How about YOU don't book those big ships and the rest of us will do what we please?

The problem with land based vacations is that you wake up in the same place every day.

I'm ok with a resort on the seas when I can wake up in Cozumel on day, Labadee another, and Falmouth another.

With SO VERY MANY small ships to sail on, you have way more choices than people who enjoy mega ships. You are welcome to sail on any one of those.

Geez- did someone pass a rule that everyone HAS to sail a mega ship? I didn't see that memo.

The problem with land based vacations is that you wake up in the same place every day.

I'm ok with a resort on the seas when I can wake up in Cozumel on day, Labadee another, and Falmouth another.

With SO VERY MANY small ships to sail on, you have way more choices than people who enjoy mega ships. You are welcome to sail on any one of those.

Geez- did someone pass a rule that everyone HAS to sail a mega ship? I didn't see that memo.

How about YOU don't book those big ships and the rest of us will do what we please?

The problem is with more and more going to the floating island thing becoming the norm and more and more of the small ships going away, choices are becoming limited for those of us who prefer them.

The problem is with more and more going to the floating island thing becoming the norm and more and more of the small ships going away, choices are becoming limited for those of us who prefer them.

There are so many choices of cruise lines out there, I'm sure you can find some old and small ships you can sail on.

The Monarch is available in the Caribbean already. I bet the Majesty will be, too, and likely the Splendor as well.

The ships are not being scrapped.

Totally agree. We don't like the "bigger" ships at all - too many people and the ships are way too big. We won't even waste our time trying one. We've been so happy with the "smaller" ships! :D

If you are unwilling to try the 'bigger' ships at all, how can you say you won't like them. I can say we went on Allure -- seeking to having something different....a balcony overlooking Central Park. It was a nice and very different experience. Is that class of ship, my favorite, no -- Freedom class so far stands out as the one I feel is the best. It never felt overly large, more like smaller distinct areas that I could enjoy. Never overly crowded in any one location, except when leaving a show (and that is on any ship).

Our plans were not to jump on that class of ship unless it went somewhere we wanted to go, and got a great price....then Harmony was announced and it has a waterslide. Which is something that I would love to enjoy on a ship. So we are sailing again on an Oasis class ship.

I can't see ourselves going on a Quantum class ship....not because of its size (it isn't as big or with as many pax as Oasis class), it just doesn't have anything that excites me or DH....the new amusement park features, just don't interest us....we will leave them for others to enjoy.

If you are unwilling to try the 'bigger' ships at all, how can you say you won't like them. I can say we went on Allure -- seeking to having something different....a balcony overlooking Central Park. It was a nice and very different experience. Is that class of ship, my favorite, no -- Freedom class so far stands out as the one I feel is the best. It never felt overly large, more like smaller distinct areas that I could enjoy. Never overly crowded in any one location, except when leaving a show (and that is on any ship).

Our plans were not to jump on that class of ship unless it went somewhere we wanted to go, and got a great price....then Harmony was announced and it has a waterslide. Which is something that I would love to enjoy on a ship. So we are sailing again on an Oasis class ship.

I can't see ourselves going on a Quantum class ship....not because of its size (it isn't as big or with as many pax as Oasis class), it just doesn't have anything that excites me or DH....the new amusement park features, just don't interest us....we will leave them for others to enjoy.

For me, it's pretty simple.

* I don't do rock climbing. Ergo I don't need a rock wall.

* Not a fan of water slides. Ergo those don't appeal to me.

* I don't surf. Ergo I don't need a FlowRider.

* If I want to go skydiving, I'm going to do the real thing, not a tube simulator.

* I don't ice skate. Ergo I don't need an ice rink.

* I live in NYC so "Central Park" on a ship has NO appeal.

* I don't need to see the edited Broadway shows on the ship when I can see any legit full-length Broadway show running any time I want without traveling. No interest in ice or diving shows either - but that would be the case wherever I lived.

As I said, when I go on a cruise, I like to know that I am on a ship. I cruise to relax and to see places I haven't been before. Give me a chair and a book and I'm a happy camper. I don't need the bells and whistles - and I certainly don't need to pay for all the stuff that I won't use. Ergo, I know that the behemoths are not for me.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

For me, it's pretty simple.

* I don't do rock climbing. Ergo I don't need a rock wall.

* Not a fan of water slides. Ergo those don't appeal to me.

* I don't surf. Ergo I don't need a FlowRider.

* If I want to go skydiving, I'm going to do the real thing, not a tube simulator.

* I don't ice skate. Ergo I don't need an ice rink.

* I live in NYC so "Central Park" on a ship has NO appeal.

* I don't need to see the edited Broadway shows on the ship when I can see any legit full-length Broadway show running any time I want without traveling. No interest in ice or diving shows either - but that would be the case wherever I lived.

As I said, when I go on a cruise, I like to know that I am on a ship. I cruise to relax and to see places I haven't been before. Give me a chair and a book and I'm a happy camper. I don't need the bells and whistles - and I certainly don't need to pay for all the stuff that I won't use. Ergo, I know that the behemoths are not for me.

Since you don't seem to want to pay for the small ship, and want the old ones- Pullmantur seems perfect for you. Empress, Monarch, and Sovereign are still available through them. http://pullmantur***************/?source=google&cn=mscclipper&ag=pullmantur

Perfect for the simple cruise.

(which is to say, the ships were not sunk or scrapped.)

Since you don't seem to want to pay for the small ship, and want the old ones- Pullmantur seems perfect for you. Empress, Monarch, and Sovereign are still available through them. http://pullmantur***************/?source=google&cn=mscclipper&ag=pullmantur

Perfect for the simple cruise.

(which is to say, the ships were not sunk or scrapped.)

And some of us would prefer a KNOWN cruise line. When the link is even blocked out, sorry, but that gives me pause.

That's fine. I'll cruise until behemoth malls on the water are the only option, then I'll go back to land-based vacations. Did them before and still do. I like having the option now, but I can live with only land-based.

And some of us would prefer a KNOWN cruise line. When the link is even blocked out, sorry, but that gives me pause.

Umm Im pretty sure that Cruise Critic is blocking out that link automatically. Pullmantur is very much a "known cruise line"

Edited by ryano

I like all the ships.

I like variety.

I like options.

I knew there was a reason I had such high regard for you.

By the way, Splendour was our first RCI cruise -- the one that set the hook, so to speak -- and I will always have a soft spot for her.