Customs on Westbound transatlantic to Hamburg

slamt3

My wife and I have decided to use QM2 as transportation to Hamburg from NY, and then take the trains to her native Poland. She is a naturalized American citizen. I understand that we go through UK customs enroute to Southhampton. Will there be a separate customs when we enter Germany? Also, does anyone else have experiences using the QM2 as a form of transportation, rather than just a holiday. Thanks for any input.

There will be a proper custom‘s office with random checks in Hamburg.

As of your question regarding „form of transportation“, what in particular do you want to know?

There is an allowance of EUR 430 each person for goods purchased outside of the EU

Thank you for the responses. We have not decided on a date to make this change but only to use the QM2 as the mode of travel. It will probably be in 2019/2020 though. My question as to the experience comes from because we will not be travelling so much for the glamour/luxury of the experience as many others do but more to get from point A to B. Air travel is quicker but we prefer a lower altitude at a slower pace. I guess my question is will we be completely out of place if we do not take part in the whole "Cunard Experience"?

In the technical sense the voyage you describe is an Eastbound Transatlantic. If you opt for a Balcony cabin on this trip the Starboard side Balconies (these have odd numbered cabin numbers) will tend to face the sunnier South side on the ship.

Regards John

IME a significant number of folks on a QM TA are using the ship as a mode of transportation rather than a 'cruise holiday' ....

this includes

folks who won't fly

folk with separation anxiety wrt their dog (QM2 has a kennel)

families who don't want to deal with small children on airplanes

folks who don't want to deal with 'luggage restrictions'

but I'd go on to say that most of these DO participate in the full QM experience (the dress code) so as to not be restricted to the 'non-participant' portion of the ship. There are some non-players to be sure - you won't be alone - but even families with small children seemed willing to make an effort to play along with the Cunard ethos.

and yes ... NYC to Hamburg is EAST

enhance

Thank you for the responses. We have not decided on a date to make this change but only to use the QM2 as the mode of travel. It will probably be in 2019/2020 though. My question as to the experience comes from because we will not be travelling so much for the glamour/luxury of the experience as many others do but more to get from point A to B. Air travel is quicker but we prefer a lower altitude at a slower pace. I guess my question is will we be completely out of place if we do not take part in the whole "Cunard Experience"?

You are free to opt out with the "luxury aspect" of a TA crossing, but you are missing the best parts of the experience in our opinion, just because you probably don't want to dress up.