Pride of America (is that even an NCL ship??) Review with PICS!

willowvacay

We leave in a month for this cruise! I got SO MUCH useful info from your fabulous review. Thank you so much. Taking my daughter and her BF for high school graduation trip. Seems like yesterday she went on her first cruise at 6 months! And believe me, she was the star of the show. Travel really broadens the horizon for kids. I also believe this is why she is not a picky eater. She will try anything! I hope you will post news of the arrival of your little cruiser. Blessings to your family!

Thank you for your review! It brings back lots of memories....you see, we were scheduled to be on the very FIRST sailing of the Pride of America from San Francisco to Hawaii, then around the islands. If you don't know the history of the Pride of America, we were anxiously awaiting our cruise, with a very active CC roll call thread, and regular updates from the shipyard in Germany, where the POA was being built, when we got the news that our ship, the POA had actually sunk to the bottom of the shipyard in Germany. Evidently, a large storm came up and someone left a (evidently somewhat large) door open, the ship took on water and sunk to the bottom. Granted, the shipyard was not very deep, but it was deep enough! NCL hurried up with the refitting of the Pride of Aloha (I forget it's original name) and put us all on that ship instead....Our roll call mascot was the Flamingo, and we were somewhat famous! That said, many were upset, but we flamingos were determined to have a good time. We planned and planned all of our excursions, and we all had a blast! I still occasionally hear from some of the other flamingos!!:*

• 9 months later...

Thank you so much for this review. All the best with your new addition, remember NCL has a nice friends & family several time a year :).

Just 1 question, on your last day at the Marriott Resort can you tell me which room you were in? I want to wake up seeing Diamond Head if possible when we are there in April. Not clear what rooms NCL will have booked but will ask a few weeks out to get something on this side and high enough. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again, Laura

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you so much for this review. All the best with your new addition, remember NCL has a nice friends & family several time a year :).

Just 1 question, on your last day at the Marriott Resort can you tell me which room you were in? I want to wake up seeing Diamond Head if possible when we are there in April. Not clear what rooms NCL will have booked but will ask a few weeks out to get something on this side and high enough. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again, Laura

I’m sorry but I’m not sure which room it was :(. I wish I could tell you. I hope you get a great room with a view of diamond head!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the awesome review. I can't wait to finish it.

I might get to this later, but, were you allowed to take food off with you? I'm hoping to buy non perishables on Maui day 1 to take with us on day 2. We'll still have to stop somewhere for sodas or water as I'm not paying NCL for those.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the awesome review. I can't wait to finish it.

I might get to this later, but, were you allowed to take food off with you? I'm hoping to buy non perishables on Maui day 1 to take with us on day 2. We'll still have to stop somewhere for sodas or water as I'm not paying NCL for those.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Forums mobile app

This could be your answer :

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2532855

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing review. I was invited to the christening of the POA in 2005 in New York. Some day I hope to cruise on the PRIDE OF AMERICA. First large passenger vessel flying the U S flag since the 50s.

I presented a model that I made of the POA and SS UNITED STATES to the captain back in June 2005.

The models have been at the shore excursion desk since.

I feel the ship is a tribute to the US. It was so cool that day to see our flag raised aling with the national anthem.