No more cruising for a while.

I think the description of Royal was given very accurately. We started on Carnival and then move to Royal. I would say the crew are still amazing to some point. The food is definitely not what it use to be. I remember as you said when they used to go around with the little loving cups after dinner. They were very reasonably priced and you could sip on them or pour them into coffee. Even after having the status we do with royal we are doing a few more celebrity their sister ship.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

For a wedding, you have a point.

Cruise ships are not weddings, they are vacations. Some people have to dress nice on a daily basis, and want to get away from that. Others are looking for as much of a beach retreat as possible. And others want to pack as little as they can get away with and still have a good time.

We love to dress up- but I would hardly call it formal.

Here's what I don't get- why do people get bent out of shape based on what other people do and look like? (assuming, of course, it does not actually impact you) How people dress does not impact you what so ever. So why care about it- I'm on MY vacation, I'm NOT going to take the time to give a crap about how you dress or look. And I don't expect you to care about my loud shirt that is not tucked in on formal night.

When you go to a wedding, it's out of respect for the invitation that you received. When you go on vacation, it's your time.

Well said.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Forums mobile app

RCI caters to the mass market now. It’s still a good experience, but “the good old days” are gone. Same with with airlines, gas stations...etc. Shareholders for these publicly traded companies are more focused on making money than delivering something special.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

RCI caters to the mass market now. It’s still a good experience, but “the good old days” are gone. Same with with airlines, gas stations...etc. Shareholders for these publicly traded companies are more focused on making money than delivering something special.

Airlines and cruises still offer that experience, you just have to pay more for it. Fly first class and sail in suites!

What's interesting, is that with airlines, a first class ticket today is about the same as economy 30 years ago (adjusted for inflation, of course). So it makes sense that the experience in economy is getting more bare bones with the substantially lower costs. I guess I could google it, but I would think cruising is probably similar. Much lower costs and a reduction in services to make the numbers work. Maybe a suite today is basically the cost of a regular cabin 20 years ago?

Our first cruise was in 1995 on HAL and yes, things have changed. If you read the HAL board, you will find posts just like yours. Cruising has changed because people have changed and the bottom line is the number one priority for any business. My friend sailed on Cunard last year (transatlantic cruise) and found it to be formal and more old world style cruising. However, it was also stuffy and not a lot to do on sea days. If you want a different experience from Royal, try the smaller, luxury lines and see if that is more to your liking. Royal appeals to us because we like the Oasis class and all it offers. Experiment and find one you like.

Shareholders for these publicly traded companies are more focused on making money than delivering something special.

Evil shareholders... I know on a daily basis at my job I think, thank goodness I'm not making more money, just as long as I'm delivering something special.

They are delivering something special, it just may not included everything you would like. But such is a free market. If enough people stop cruising, then the something specials will come back. As mentioned there are other (smaller) lines that deliver "something special", but I also believe they are catering to a different demographic. They also have shareholders to account to. That's why they are priced more for their extras.

I agree with you, we were on Harmony a year ago. She is beautiful, lots to do, crew was great....but the dinning. Which has been in issue lately on all the ships we have been on. We started cruising 7 yrs ago on Serenade. The dinning was wonderful. But since (even on Princess) the lack of dressing up for dinner has suffered. If you don't want to dress up, go to the buffet. And something can be done about it if the cruise line would put rules in place and follow them.

20 years ago, cruising was a MUCH different experience than today...I agree with that wholeheartedly. Everyone felt "special", especially at dinner! Taking a break from cruising is probably a good idea, if today's "norms" aren't making you happy! You can go to some fabulous land resorts and recreate the "feel" of day's past!

I'm 67 and have been cruising since 1972. I sort of felt the same way after a HAL Caribbean cruise a year ago, but it had more to do with Caribbean overload than anything else.

Personally, I've reached a point in my life where casual and relaxed sounds great to me, so I'm not unhappy with the direction cruising is taking. I would much rather have more bells and whistles on a ship than a formal dinner. I cruise to have fun and see the world and if a fine dining experience is what I'm looking for, I can find that without leaving home.

I guess we all have different needs and desires. RCI still meets mine well..... except the pizza is still BAD!

I have never cruised RCL. Carnival the pizza was okay. NCL Gem East Coast the pizza was horrible. I am curious to find out when I sail in May on the NCL Epic with Italy stops, what the ship pizza will taste like.

If you don't want to dress up, go to the buffet. And something can be done about it if the cruise line would put rules in place and follow them.

How about you don’t worry about what everyone else is wearing?

I agree with you, we were on Harmony a year ago. She is beautiful, lots to do, crew was great....but the dinning. Which has been in issue lately on all the ships we have been on. We started cruising 7 yrs ago on Serenade. The dinning was wonderful. But since (even on Princess) the lack of dressing up for dinner has suffered. If you don't want to dress up, go to the buffet. And something can be done about it if the cruise line would put rules in place and follow them.

How about if you want to dress up, go to a specialty restaurant...

I have never cruised RCL. Carnival the pizza was okay. NCL Gem East Coast the pizza was horrible. I am curious to find out when I sail in May on the NCL Epic with Italy stops, what the ship pizza will taste like.

RC pizza? Think cardboard with ketchup on it.

Sorry, but I just don't agree. While I certainly do follow the suggested dress codes, I don't see why I can't have the option of dressing casually,(which does not mean sloppy), if I want to sit down and be served for dinner. Dinner in the MDR is a nice experience, but anyone who thinks it's anything close to fine dining is kidding themselves.

How about if you want to dress up, go to a specialty restaurant...

Well, I don't think people should be told that either. If someone wants to dress up fine, but there are many who don't and unless the cruise lines strictly enforce a dress code, then I really don't see the point of having one.

Well, I don't think people should be told that either. If someone wants to dress up fine, but there are many who don't and unless the cruise lines strictly enforce a dress code, then I really don't see the point of having one.

I guess my point was that the specialty restaurants already have a stricter dress code as far as I'm aware. That mechanism is already in place. It's fancier, people dressed up, etc. That option is already there.

I guess my point was that the specialty restaurants already have a stricter dress code as far as I'm aware. That mechanism is already in place. It's fancier, people dressed up, etc. That option is already there.

No, they don't.

They have the same suggestions as everyone else does.

If you are worried about what other people think, it's certainly a lot less pressure when you do dress up for the specialties.

This dress thing doesn't really end at the dining room, so I'm not sure why we are so focused on that. People will worry about what others are wearing everywhere on the ship. Which I think it's absurd.

I will dress up when I want (and we do) and I will not when I don't. If that bothers you, well, that's your problem, not mine. If you want to spend your vacation worrying about others, go for it.

Ultimate Dining Package. Lets you dine in specialty all week for one price. For ours it is $168. Much cheaper than the difference to switch to a suite or an expensive line. We don't do it because we are fine with the included options, but if better service and better food is the main gripe (not sure it is), then that might be a great way to get at least closer to what you were missing.

Royal Caribbean should be sued for calling it the Ultimate Dinning Package. I am a foodie and the food and service of the specialty restaurants falls much short of being called the UDP.

Royal Caribbean should be sued for calling it the Ultimate Dinning Package. I am a foodie and the food and service of the specialty restaurants falls much short of being called the UDP.

Well luckily for Royal, most people are more easily impressed. 😉

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

A dear friend of ours just went on a two week Viking Ocean cruise to experience what they had to offer....much smaller ship, 900 or so passengers. It did a very nice Southern Caribbean itinerary going into the Panama Canal (not all the way through). The food she did admit was marvelous. No menu was repeated over the two week timespan. They managed to cater to her food desires, which is for NOT very spicey or exotic food, yet not just hamburgers or chicken cutlets either. So she was happy. Soft evening entertainment is how she described it (but she did say, that me and my DH would probably have been bored in the evenings), interesting lectures during the at sea days and lots of leisure time.

After chatting with her.....I can say, it will be a few years until we venture on that kind of cruise. We are in our mid 60's, but we want and like the 'high energy nighttime' of Royal.

This is pretty much all true. The Viking Star was a gorgeous ship dripping with class and elegance. The food was absurdly good, and the best part about it is that you don't pay extra for really anything. All of the restaurants, etc. are all included in the one price you way (which is significantly more then Royal). But the service will leave you wanting for nothing.

The entertainment on the other hand, I think if it was only 5 days or so would probably be perfect. But two weeks as your friend did and I did. You kind of want something a little more high energy after that length of time. But again, most of the guests were above the average age of cruisers. And there are absolutely no children on Viking Oceans cruises.

I certainly don't go on a cruise to see what the pizza is like.