Bye bye libraries?

mykeb14

the library-where my DH finds his quiet time, more so than a serenity deck that isn't serene when enough drinks are served. The library, where one can sit and play candyland while waiting to be buzzed in for your anytime dining. The library, where the chef's table is held, meet and greets meet, behind the fun tours start.

I have tried to get into the bars when they are closed in the day time, they are where they store the "art" for the art auctions-so that's a no. I am hoping they don't become another place to gather funds from the cruisers. I enjoy the space for what it is, a quiet place to watch the sea slide by.

I am hoping they don't become another place to gather funds from the cruisers. I enjoy the space for what it is, a quiet place to watch the sea slide by.

I agree but I suspect Carnival wants to re-purpose the libraries as suites or sleeping cabins to drive revenue rather than as a public venue.

When I go on a cruise I want to be outside enjoying the ocean not sitting in a room. I do my reading where I can hear the ocean and look up and stare at it for a few minutes. So losing the libraries is not a big deal for me.

On all the cruises I have been on over the years, I think I have seen 2 people ever in them. I would think that these could be used for something better than a coffee shop. I mean I like coffee, but....

Most major bookstores now have coffee bars and reading lounges. Repurposing the Library to keep the games and books while adding in the coffee bar would satisfy both the revenue generating element and those that enjoy that space. Of course, the space has to be large enough to begin with to handle it.

Since I bring my Kindle, I don't use any books from the library. My husband nor I are board game players so we don't do that, either. However, on some ships we've found the library to be a great alternative to a bar with regard to finding a place away from the crowd where we can sit and read or relax. If these areas are turned into crowd producers, that'll be too bad. I'll miss the libraries of old.

I bring my Kindle as well but, often use the library for a quiet place to read or play cards with DH. Shame it looks like it is on it's way out. :loudcry:

I am a retired library director and bring our books on cruises from our local public library, so we do not use the ship libraries. However, I do notice many people of all ages using the libraries to play games, read, and just enjoy the peace and quiet. Public libraries are more popular than ever with increasing usage statistics and only those who never enter them are the ones who say no one uses them. It would be a shame to lose the ship libraries as there are so few places onboard where people can go to relax in a quiet place outside of their cabins. Parents need to be encouraging their children to read books, not just play on computers.

Aren't some libraries on a few ships now libraries/bars? Great place for a wine bar, with better quality wines than the typical...

Yes, Breeze, Vista, Sunshine and Horizon have "wine bars", or at least wine dispensers in the libraries. I think all have the automated wine dispenser, and a couple have a wine bar that is periodically staffed by a crew member.

We were on the Glory a few weeks ago and every time we walked by the library, it was in use by many people who were playing cards, reading, or perusing the book selection. We've never seen a library as busy as that one was!

While we don't use the library on ships, but would likely visit if there's a wine bar or self-serve beer machine. :-)

It is very obvious that this space can be better used to not only serve the majority of the cruisers, put to possibly make Carnival more money. It's said to say that libraries everywhere are taking a hit due to tablets, audio-books and the internet.

HAL libraries are being phased out. No one is happy about it except perhaps the bean counters. The libraries were one of the most used public spaces on the HAL ships. Sad.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think many of us would use the library more if we were on a cruise up north (Alaskan, New England, etc.) rather than a Caribbean cruise. Our last cruise we opted to play our games and read outside over the library because the weather was incredible and the views amazing.

On other cruises it has always been easy to find an interior area where there were not a bunch of people hanging out or on one of the shaded decks if you wanted quiet. Everyone was outside.

We were on one cruise where the library had a bar inside and the self-serve wine (Sunshine?), and truly that bar tender looked bored out of his mind because there was absolutely no one in there. He perked up when we walked in, but we were just going in there to sit down and look at some excursion brochures. Also the self-serve wine was not included in Cheers, so people weren't just popping in to use that feature.

Based on my experience, I can understand why they may be looking at it to see if it is still something that is a necessity with so many people reading their books digitally these days and the libraries not being overly used when the weather is wonderful for the majority of their cruises. Those of you who really enjoy the library should try to ensure you tell Carnival so that you get your voices weighed into the decision.

I also bring my Kindle and have so many books downloaded on it I haven’t even read them all yet. If I want to nice quiet place to read I go on my balcony that way I’m outside I still see the view I still have the ocean.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love the idea of the library, but of the ships I've been on, they are way too small. Not enough tables for games or chairs for reading. We have to find empty bars for game playing. Not usually a problem. but the tables are small. Sure, we can go to the Lido, but the idea is to get away from the crowds.

So don't take them away...make them BIGGER.

I love the library and read almost anything I can get my hands on in my "real" world...but I have never used it on a cruise ship and from what I have observed walking by etc...very few else do either....so definitely think the space could be used for something that MORE cruisers will enjoy then currently....I just think there is too much more exciting things to do then play a "bored" game on vacation etc....but of course to each their own....

Edited by famof4togo

Never a decent selection of books, but it is a decent place to play board games or work on a laptop if you happen to need to work while on a sailing. Mid-30s and wouldn’t be too pained to see it go. Plenty of quiet places on a ship to do your thing and the books can still be borrowed off the shelves of a coffee shop motif.