New York in October before cruise

lb0456

Will be in New York a day or two before cruise. CRUISE LEAVES October 7. New York hotels are ridiculous. Would love recommendations for affordable lodging ($150?). Will also want to do the New York tour thing so need to consider transportation for that. TIA

Will be in New York a day or two before cruise. CRUISE LEAVES October 7. New York hotels are ridiculous. Would love recommendations for affordable lodging ($150?). Will also want to do the New York tour thing so need to consider transportation for that. TIA

NYC hotel prices are no different than those in most first world cosmopolitan cities. Their prices aren't " ridiculous." They are what the market will bear.

That said, because you will have missed September's UN General Assembly opening and Fashion Week, you may be able to find a few bare bones hotels for $150-$200/night. But, you're already kind of late in the game to find stuff in that price range that would be "appealing."

IMO, your choices would be far better at $300.

Check for "specials" on websites like Tingo and Quickbook. Jetsetter may have one or two current flash sales that fit your bill. If it was a day or two before you travel, you could always check the "Hotel Tonight" app, which usually has some decent bargains.

One great little hotel worth a look is the Blakely on West 55th street. Close to theaters, moma, etc. depending on the time of the year, it could range from well under $300 to more than $500/night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

October is probably the most expensive month in NYC with regards to lodging. Head over to the East Coast departures board, and prepare for a stay in NJ.

While October is not cheap, it's mid-September when the UN General Assembly and Fashion Week gobble up most of the better hotel spaces at elevat d prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As with virtually everything else in life, you get what you pay for. If you want to stay at clean, comfortable can place with a lot of attractions and a high cost of living you are going to pay for the convenience and experience. If cheap lodging is paramount, then stay where lodging is cheap.

One suggestion is to stay in a place like Stamford, CT and take the 45 minute train ride to get into the city - of course, you would have to add the train fare to the lower hotel cost to get comparable cost. Another is to stay at a less attractive hotel - Hotel Pennsylvania is not top line, but for about $200 you can be in the center of things. You can save even more by staying at a Y - and put up with the idea of a shared bathroom.

Hi all!

I stayed at Broadway@ Times Square, an Applecore hotel for only $209.99 + tax after the Vista TA in Nov.. The location is primo, near Times Square & I actually walked to the hotel from the port. A breakfast & free wifi is included plus there was a microwave in the breakfast area where I heated up some food bought on the free walking tour. I'd spend a little more if possible to stay in Manhattan & be close to things.I <3 New York!

~ Jo ~ :)

You might be going around time of New York Marathon. We did that once, stayed att Plaza Hotel, Prices were awful but it was great fun ! :) AND busy Book early, rooms fill up fast.

As with virtually everything else in life, you get what you pay for. If you want to stay at clean, comfortable can place with a lot of attractions and a high cost of living you are going to pay for the convenience and experience. If cheap lodging is paramount, then stay where lodging is cheap.

One suggestion is to stay in a place like Stamford, CT and take the 45 minute train ride to get into the city - of course, you would have to add the train fare to the lower hotel cost to get comparable cost. Another is to stay at a less attractive hotel - Hotel Pennsylvania is not top line, but for about $200 you can be in the center of things. You can save even more by staying at a Y - and put up with the idea of a shared bathroom.

I just checked date of NY C Marathon is November 5, 2017, this year.

We stay in Secaucus NJ when we sail out of NY at the Embassy Suites. There is bus you can take that will pick you up right by the hotel and take you into the city.

With luggage? :eek:

Hi all!

I stayed at Broadway@ Times Square, an Applecore hotel for only $209.99 + tax after the Vista TA in Nov.. The location is primo, near Times Square & I actually walked to the hotel from the port. A breakfast & free wifi is included plus there was a microwave in the breakfast area where I heated up some food bought on the free walking tour. I'd spend a little more if possible to stay in Manhattan & be close to things.I <3 New York!

~ Jo ~ :)

Thanks. I'll check it out. E are considering canceling cruise and going back to Maui instead. Cheaper there than New York and warmer. :D

Thanks. I'll check it out. E are considering canceling cruise and going back to Maui instead. Cheaper there than New York and warmer. :D

You cannott compared Maui and NYC. Both are fabulous IN THEIR OWN WAY but hugely diferent stlye vaaction.

With luggage? :eek:

OP was talking about being there a day or two before and wanting to do the "tour" thing. When we stayed at the Embassy Suites in Secaucus we took the bus from our hotel into NY (leaving our luggage in our room) to have my DD do a Masters Dance Class with the Rockettes and tour Radio City Music Hall and tour Times Square. We also did the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island Tour from the NJ side. I was just giving OP options to do that while staying outside of the expensive city.

I think that the idea of staying in Stamford is an extremely horrible idea. Do you really want to spend 45 minutes on the train plus the time waiting for the train plus the time getting to the train station twice per day during your stay in the NYC area plus the time getting from your lodging to the train station.. That is at least 4 hours of your NYC day. Also, if you decide to stay in NYC for something in the evening, the train frequency is much less. Finally, I could not find the cost of your train ticket but I am sure that it is not cheap.

What is the point of being in NYC if you do not stay in NYC. The City is a great place. Stamford much less so.

DON

I think that the idea of staying in Stamford is an extremely horrible idea. Do you really want to spend 45 minutes on the train plus the time waiting for the train plus the time getting to the train station twice per day during your stay in the NYC area plus the time getting from your lodging to the train station.. That is at least 4 hours of your NYC day. Also, if you decide to stay in NYC for something in the evening, the train frequency is much less. Finally, I could not find the cost of your train ticket but I am sure that it is not cheap.

What is the point of being in NYC if you do not stay in NYC. The City is a great place. Stamford much less so.

DON

Maybe it is just me but if I am going to NYC< I want to be in NYC, not across the river in NJ. If I am going to Fort Lauderdale, I want to be in Fort Lauderdale, not down the highway in Miami....... That is where I book my hotel.

DON

I would prefer to pay more to stay in the city, but since OP wanted suggestions on how to avoid very expensive hotels, he was entitled to a suggestion. Also converting 1 1/2 hour train time to "at least 4 hours" is a bit of a stretch. Most less expensive hotels in Manhattan would be close to 30 minutes away from anything interesting - so that should be cranked in as well.