Dawn - Live 11/27

TheDougOut

Great review Doug and Sue. Took a few months off the boards after our last cruise, what a great way to be welcomed back seeing your review of the Dawn! Followed your live Escape review, then hopped on the Escape ourselves. Our next cruise will be Dawn to Canada, your wonderful comments and pictures have us excited ... and yes, we also luv the suite life!

Enjoy your second trip on the Escape with your kids!

Regards. K & L!

• 2 weeks later...

What do you do at 2am prior to boarding the Dawn in NOLA because you can't sleep? You refresh your memory of TheDougOut's review!!!! It gets me more and more stoked as I read! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

A Huge Thank You for this incredible review of the Dawn!

My family will be sailing on The Dawn this June. It's our first time on a Norwegian ship after cruising on Royal Caribbean and Princess. We are partial to RC, so I started my "research" and found your review. Despite the fact that our itinerary is to Bermuda, I happily joined you & Sue through each Port!

You did an amazing job covering the entire ship and I feel like I know so much for being a "greenhorn"! I also really appreciate the incredible photos and all of the information. Amazing!

What was so fun for me was that our lives are so different. It was fun to be a part of your world. I am looking for the 3on3 basketball tournaments for my DH and my 2 DS, and looking for some fun ship activities. I also don't usually drink, (but there are a few drinks that I am definitely planning drinking on because of you)!

The only negative thing is that I really want to upgrade after seeing what perks you got. Unfortunately,I am unable to because our family has four rooms together. I really hope that the service for a balcony room is good! I have always had great service on the other ships. But, I also didn't have a DougOut review! (I'm kind of spoiled by your ammenities) You and Sue are absolutely adorable! Thank you both again! I loved it!

Tracey :D

Edited by Kruser7
Old ship sailing still embedded

Doug, I opened this thread and said to myself "67 pages! I'll never get thru all that!" but I started reading and have stolen several hours from work loving every minute of your review! Bravo!

Sailing on the Dawn in 10 days...you've made me even more impatient - thanks!

Great review Doug. Thanks for making the effort and providing some ideas. Cruising in a few days this Easter Sunday on the Dawn. (Cyndi is heading up the Roll Call). First cruise for me, should be fun.

Ahhhhh Cyndi!! Please tell her Doug and Sue say hello... and that she should join us for the Bliss TA!

• 2 weeks later...

I followed your Escape review before my April 2016 sailing & I was so excited to come back to CC and find a DougOut review of the Dawn! I booked the Dawn a few weeks ago for a Feb 2019 sailing out of San Juan.

My question is in regard to your upsell.We're booked in the infamous 10230 aft balcony. I really liked your Family Suite/balcony. What were you originally booked in & how much for the upsell? I'm thinking the aft balcony is going to be tight for 3 (2 adults, 1 child) & I'm debating on booking bigger now or waiting until closer to sail time.

Thanks for a great weekend read Doug! I'm glad I found it on a Fri night. I had the whole weekend to read!

:cool::cool::cool:- there's your missing sunglasses

My question is in regard to your upsell.We're booked in the infamous 10230 aft balcony. I really liked your Family Suite/balcony. What were you originally booked in & how much for the upsell?

I believe the Dawn is now in the bidding-program, and no longer does direct upsell. But to answer your question... we paid $400pp for the upsell from Balcony to the Family Suite. I believe our total investment was just shy of $1500pp, but I don't recall if that figure included service charges on perks or not.

Have a great trip... the Dawn has been reborn as a beautiful new ship!

Doug do you think there is enough for kids to do on the Dawn if they are used to being on the Getaway/Escape? I'd love to try some of the other ships, but I"m worried that my 14, 12 and 8 year old won't have enough to do outside of Splash Academy & Entourage.

TIA

I followed your Escape review before my April 2016 sailing & I was so excited to come back to CC and find a DougOut review of the Dawn! I booked the Dawn a few weeks ago for a Feb 2019 sailing out of San Juan.

My question is in regard to your upsell.We're booked in the infamous 10230 aft balcony. I really liked your Family Suite/balcony. What were you originally booked in & how much for the upsell? I'm thinking the aft balcony is going to be tight for 3 (2 adults, 1 child) & I'm debating on booking bigger now or waiting until closer to sail time.

Thanks for a great weekend read Doug! I'm glad I found it on a Fri night. I had the whole weekend to read!

:cool::cool::cool:- there's your missing sunglasses

Why is 10230 infamous? I'll be there in January. :)

Doug do you think there is enough for kids to do on the Dawn if they are used to being on the Getaway/Escape? I'd love to try some of the other ships, but I"m worried that my 14, 12 and 8 year old won't have enough to do outside of Splash Academy & Entourage.

That's tough... as any ship/cruise/itinerary can be an amazing experience at an age. BUT, if the ship's amenities and programming for kids is a major consideration, it's tough to beat the BA and BA+ class ships. Personally, we choose to save the big ships for trips with kids.

That's tough... as any ship/cruise/itinerary can be an amazing experience at an age. BUT, if the ship's amenities and programming for kids is a major consideration, it's tough to beat the BA and BA+ class ships. Personally, we choose to save the big ships for trips with kids.

Thanks for your input! When are you sailing again? We will be saying hi to your "home" in 54 days!

Thanks for your input! When are you sailing again? We will be saying hi to your "home" in 54 days!

Heading home myself in 90 days. Then will likely test the RC waters on Harmony this fall before returning to NCL to find some Bliss. Lots of fun ships in the pipeline! I think I'm most looking forward to trying the suite life on Celebrity Edge in 2019.

Heading home myself in 90 days. Then will likely test the RC waters on Harmony this fall before returning to NCL to find some Bliss. Lots of fun ships in the pipeline! I think I'm most looking forward to trying the suite life on Celebrity Edge in 2019.

Excellent! I'll definitely be following your adventures! I'm doing Epic in December and Symphony of the Seas in June 2018. Thanks for keeping us informed and entertained!

7c318aad785fa51d1afac8b612f814c5.jpgEdited: I've long thought that the two deck 10 non suite aft balcony cabins were probably the best value on the Dawn. They seem to book very fast!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I say infamous because I've found quite a few posts, this one included, about aft balconies on 10 being a great deal. Who doesn't love a nice aft??

Found this thread this weekend and boy am I glad I did. I feel like I just went on a cruise. You did a great job with this review and my wife and I cant wait for the next one in July. We have our first NCL cruise booked for Feb. 2019 out of NOLA on the Gem. I believe its the same itinerary as yours. Really looking forward to it.

• 3 weeks later...
Just caught a glimpse, and it appears it may be worth the wait...

c68b64ec5558785e757318923d45de3b.jpg

Awwwwww! What a sweet thing to say! You and Sue are my favorites. And I have no idea who either Of you are [emoji38]. Sitting at a bar in Cleveland and enjoying your review. The funny thing is I'm waiting to meet some friends at Brasa (Clevelands chiaroscuro restaurant) later tonight! Haha!

I just finished your Escape 'review' and found this one thanks to YorkVillain (who I also love reading). You really to take it to another level, and it's a great place to be!

Thanks!

Lisa N

Awwwwww! What a sweet thing to say! You and Sue are my favorites. And I have no idea who either Of you are [emoji38]. Sitting at a bar in Cleveland and enjoying your review. The funny thing is I'm waiting to meet some friends at Brasa (Clevelands chiaroscuro restaurant) later tonight! Haha!

Aw, thanks for the kind words! We've only been to Cleveland once (R&RHOF & Swell Season @ HOB) - but coincidentally had our single dinner at Brasa.

d3c33e4dabdd8a9f222433706b3ab227.jpg

-U8DUekF-Hc

It's so interesting that the two of you discussed the commitment level of your cruise in this awesome Day 4 video. My bf and I have been struggling with this since booking our first ever cruise this coming September. We had decided not to commit to anything but after reading so many reviews of people having wonderful times on excursions were second guessing ourselves.

Still not sure what we will do, but it's very helpful to see that there are others out there who enjoy the ship as much as we plan to. We'll see!

Thanks again for sharing

Lisa N.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...