NJ Hotel for Brooklyn Cruise Port

57eric

I’ve located a few hotels in New Jersey where you can leaveyour car during a cruise after spending the night prior, but I’ve found almost nothingregarding travelers’ experiences with doing this. I’d love to hear how things went from otherswho have done this, as well as advice on getting between the hotel and thedock. We’re sailing Nov. 26.

Thanks.

Well if you're coming back on the QM2 as well you can park right at the pier. We've done this several times for up to a month with no problems.

https://www.nycruise.com/brooklyn-terminal/parking/

If you're flying back then it won't work for you. Have you tried tripadvisor.com? Just do a search by the hotel name (look for the 'search' icon) and then look for the frequently used descriptions (just before the actual reviews - like little oval buttons) and see if anyone mentions parking that will get you to a relevant review faster.

Well if you're coming back on the QM2 as well you can park right at the pier. We've done this several times for up to a month with no problems.

https://www.nycruise.com/brooklyn-terminal/parking/

If you're flying back then it won't work for you. Have you tried tripadvisor.com? Just do a search by the hotel name (look for the 'search' icon) and then look for the frequently used descriptions (just before the actual reviews - like little oval buttons) and see if anyone mentions parking that will get you to a relevant review faster.

If I can park in New Jersey for $20 for 12 days, as I've found, I'm prepared for some inconvenience vs. paying $300 to park on site. But if I'm alone here, I'm prepared to reconsider.

There is no direct public transportation between N. Jersey and the passenger ship terminal in Brooklyn. An alternative is to hire a car service for both trips but that will negate much of your savings. Another alternative is to get a shuttle/taxi/uber from the hotel you are considering to a NJTransit station, take a train to NY Penn Station, then get a cab to the cruise terminal. Be warned that not all cab drivers are thrilled about driving from Manhattan to Brooklyn, and I've heard that many don't know where the cruise terminal is located! Reverse the process when you return. If you're not from the area, this can be a daunting process. I live in the area and I would never do this....but that's me.

I echo the feeling that you'll likely do better finding other arrangements for your car than stowing it two boroughs and one state away in New Jersey. I believe that there are a number of hotels in Long Island CIty which may offer parking deals, and would be much more convenient to Red Hook.

We parked at Newark Airport and took mass transit into Manhattan before the cruise, and took a Cunard transfer back to the airport after the cruise. Aside from having been able to spend a day or two in New York before the cruise I'm not sure the savings was worth the hassle. The transfer back to the airport cost on the order of half what we saved parking at EWR.

Right, so compare $98 for one-way transfers for two to ~$220 for parking at the pier. Double the transfer cost if you don't have a more reasonable way to get to the pier from NJ on boarding day.

Every time I try to find a cheaper alternative to parking at the pier I end up driving to the pier.

Is there always ample parking available at Red Hook, or do you need to have a backup parking plan in case you arrive and find the lot full? In the past we have always driven rental cars to and from Newark Airport, and used a Cunard transfer to get to and from the ship in Brooklyn. This year we have an additional person joining us for the QM2 Dec 22 Caribbean cruise, and will need a larger vehicle, so we were thinking of driving our own larger vehicle directly to Red Hook as the rental costs for large vehicles gets more expensive than paying for the parking.

The Brooklyn lot is usually less than half full when I've parked there. NYCruise says reservations are not required for parking.

FYI: as of August 2017 the daily parking rate is $25, which may affect the cost benefit calculation of parking elsewhere for longer periods. https://www.nycruise.com/brooklyn-terminal/parking/

Edited by Underwatr

The airports were not on my mind when I originally posted, although I now see that they might be the best bet if one were going to park and ride. Cunard is quoting $40 per person each way for their bus. I wouldn’t have thought a taxi would be more expensive, but I may be behind the times. Parking at Newark is quite reasonable and one could definitely save some money vs. parking on site for 12 days, but so far I’m still planning to park at the port.

While it may be easier to reach Red Hook from the other airports, when you factor in the additional driving it would require for me, I don’t feel it would be worth it.

I’m not concerned about the parking filling up. I believe there will be quite a few b to b to b passengers, and thus fewer than usual embarking in New York.

The airports were not on my mind when I originally posted, although I now see that they might be the best bet if one were going to park and ride. Cunard is quoting $40 per person each way for their bus. I wouldn’t have thought a taxi would be more expensive, but I may be behind the times. Parking at Newark is quite reasonable and one could definitely save some money vs. parking on site for 12 days, but so far I’m still planning to park at the port.

While it may be easier to reach Red Hook from the other airports, when you factor in the additional driving it would require for me, I don’t feel it would be worth it.

I’m not concerned about the parking filling up. I believe there will be quite a few b to b to b passengers, and thus fewer than usual embarking in New York.

From Newark? A taxi would be 2, maybe even 3, times as much as that, and with traffic between Newark and Red Hook being wholly unpredictable, I’d book the Cunard transfer and the peace of mind that the ship will wait for the bus.

From LGA, a Lyft cost us $42 to travel to Red Hook, leaving LGA around 9:30am on a Thursday, and sitting in heavy traffic most of the way on the BQE.

Agree with some who suggested that you park near LaGuardia or JFK then take an uber to the Brooklyn Terminal. However, bottom line you are spending so much for the cruise why not remove all of the hassle and spend a little more and park by the cruise terminal in bklyn. Will make your arrival and especially your departure so much more enjoyable-

Agree with some who suggested that you park near LaGuardia or JFK then take an uber to the Brooklyn Terminal. However, bottom line you are spending so much for the cruise why not remove all of the hassle and spend a little more and park by the cruise terminal in bklyn. Will make your arrival and especially your departure so much more enjoyable-

That's where I stand at the moment, although I'm still ready to be talked out of spending $300 to park.

There are two additional factors in favor, though. One is that my embarkation date is reputedly the busiest travel day of the year in the U.S. Best to keep the variables at a minimum. The other is that, while most of the thought here has been around embarkation, it's at disembarkation where onsite parking really stands out. Out of customs, grab the car, gone.

I have a feeling there's a profitable opportunity to go into the park and ride business being overlooked here.

That's where I stand at the moment, although I'm still ready to be talked out of spending $300 to park.

There are two additional factors in favor, though. One is that my embarkation date is reputedly the busiest travel day of the year in the U.S. Best to keep the variables at a minimum. The other is that, while most of the thought here has been around embarkation, it's at disembarkation where onsite parking really stands out. Out of customs, grab the car, gone.

I have a feeling there's a profitable opportunity to go into the park and ride business being overlooked here.

As I wrote earlier, we've used the parking lot at the pier a few times. We also do self-disembarkation and with that we've been on the road and out of Brooklyn as early as 7:30AM. It's great. We live in New England and can be home by lunch if we want.

As I wrote earlier, we've used the parking lot at the pier a few times. We also do self-disembarkation and with that we've been on the road and out of Brooklyn as early as 7:30AM. It's great. We live in New England and can be home by lunch if we want.

If people have to pay $150-200 to park far away, hassle taking a cab or car service for an expensive vacation, why not spend the money to park in the lot literally next to the ship.? IMO a no brainer.

If people have to pay $150-200 to park far away, hassle taking a cab or car service for an expensive vacation, why not spend the money to park in the lot literally next to the ship.? IMO a no brainer.

If that were the case, it would be a no brainer. However, when I originally posted, and although I didn't say so specifically, I was looking at a hotel in NJ where I can park for $20 (first ten days free with a night's stay). I incorrectly assumed people driving from the west or south commonly did something similar. The fact that no one seems to makes me question it.

• 2 months later...

My wife and I stayed at the Newark Airport Doubletree. For $170 we got the room, breakfast and up to14 nights parking. As we were planning tostay over the night prior to departure anyway, we saved a good chunk of moneyvs. 12 nights parking plus the tolls.

Cunard charges $40 pp each way for an airport transfer. While the hotel provides a free airportshuttle, it was much cheaper, faster and easier to use Uber/Lyft directly betweenthe hotel and the dock.