NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

Hello all, I know this is probably explained somewhere in this thread but I did read through and have NO idea what any of the terms means. I just applied and was approved for the card so I will get the 10,000 bonus points. Once i pay for the cruise & flights, I expect I will have at least 20,000 points. My question is -- will I be able to upgrade from an Inside cabin to Oceanview with 20,000 points? do I need to be in a specific Inside category to do so? I am booked in IA. Upgrading to balcony with the points wouldn't be an option, would it (how many points would I need for that)?

This is for a sailing NEXT July (2019). So assuming I get to 20,000 points in the next couple months, would it make sense for me to do the upgrade right away vs. waiting? I just want to get the best upgrade for my points that I can. This is the sole reason I applied for the card. i did read the thread, but I am lost with all the within double meta talk. Thank you!

Hello all, I know this is probably explained somewhere in this thread but I did read through and have NO idea what any of the terms means. I just applied and was approved for the card so I will get the 10,000 bonus points. Once i pay for the cruise & flights, I expect I will have at least 20,000 points. My question is -- will I be able to upgrade from an Inside cabin to Oceanview with 20,000 points? do I need to be in a specific Inside category to do so? I am booked in IA. Upgrading to balcony with the points wouldn't be an option, would it (how many points would I need for that)?

This is for a sailing NEXT July (2019). So assuming I get to 20,000 points in the next couple months, would it make sense for me to do the upgrade right away vs. waiting? I just want to get the best upgrade for my points that I can. This is the sole reason I applied for the card. i did read the thread, but I am lost with all the within double meta talk. Thank you!

You need 30,000 to go from inside to oceanview.

Question ....

Were you able to do double meta upgrade (inside to balcony for 60,000 points) and then use 10,000 points to go from B3 Balcony to B1 balcony (two category upgrade)?

No, I did the double meta upgrade on one of my 2018 cruises, and the 2 category upgrade on one booked for 2019.

You would need 60,000 points to go from your inside to a balcony (double meta upgrade).

If you did want to go with the 30,000 point single meta upgrade to take you up to an oceanview, I recommend doing it as soon as you have the points. Just like airlines have a limited number of upgrade seats on each flight, it is probably the same with the cruise lines.

Does the category within OV matter or would all OV categories be 30,000 points? Looking now, it looks like the only OV category available are the Family OV with Large Picture Window (Cat. O1?)

The higher the inside category you have the higher the oceanview category you will qualify for. When you call for your upgrade, they will tell you what oceanview category your current category IA booking qualifies you for.

Also you should only do this upgrade if the total cost difference is at least $300. If it is not, you would be better off taking $300 OBC or cash, and just paying the difference.

The higher the inside category you have the higher the oceanview category you will qualify for. When you call for your upgrade, they will tell you what oceanview category your current category IA booking qualifies you for.

Also you should only do this upgrade if the total cost difference is at least $300. If it is not, you would be better off taking $300 OBC or cash, and just paying the difference.

Got it, thanks. [emoji106]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That is helpful posting that the difference should be at least $300.to do the upgrade. I'm at 45,000 points and hoping to get to 60,000 to do the double from inside to balcony. I'm looking at Europe for the Fall. Thanks for the information. I've never used points for upgrade before.

I have had my BOA NCL MasterCard for years, and have never incurred a foreign transaction fee, and, yes, I have used it numerous times with NCL. I think you were given faulty information and would escalate the charge to a complaint with BOA. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I used my BOA NCL card to book a tour with SPB tours and was charged a foreign transaction fee, had I known, and my fault for not checking, I would have used either my NFCU or Chase United card, the cards I'll take to Europe.

Did you have the card before BOA became the issuer? Perhaps if you were it was grandfathered into terms and conditions.

I used my BOA NCL card to book a tour with SPB tours and was charged a foreign transaction fee, had I known, and my fault for not checking, I would have used either my NFCU or Chase United card, the cards I'll take to Europe.

Did you have the card before BOA became the issuer? Perhaps if you were it was grandfathered into terms and conditions.

As soon as I redeem my 10,000 point NCL bonus, I am dumping this card. I was also charged Foreign Transaction Fees for a couple of purchases I made in Cartagena Colombia. I copied the info below from my online billing statement. I should know better than have ANY dealings with Bank of America. :mad:I don't care if it's only 78 cents. It's still more than my other cards charge. NOTHING for foreign transactions.:mad::mad:

10/17 10/18 FOREIGN TRANSACTION FEE 2040 2041 0.51

10/17 10/18 FOREIGN TRANSACTION FEE 2094 2041 0.27

TOTAL FEES FOR THIS PERIOD $0.78

As soon as I redeem my 10,000 point NCL bonus, I am dumping this card.

I was also charged Foreign Transaction Fees for a couple of purchases I made in Cartagena Colombia.

I copied the info below from my online billing statement.

I should know better than have ANY dealings with Bank of America.

I don't care if it's only 78 cents.

It's still more than my other cards charge. NOTHING for foreign transactions.:mad::mad:

Reminds me of when we were in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

and one of our fellow travelers

said she was not being duped into buying bottled water.

Be happy in the thought of how much you are saving.

Be happy in the thought of how much you are saving.
I just have a personal aversion to Bank of America. When a branch in Tampa FL can't tell you the current balance in an account in Sacramento, there is definitely something amiss. And YES. I will be happy, happy, happy as I spend that $100 credit on something or the other on our upcoming cruise. :cool:Then it's Hasta la Vista, Baby!

I just have a personal aversion to Bank of America. When a branch in Tampa FL can't tell you the current balance in an account in Sacramento, there is definitely something amiss. And YES. I will be happy, happy, happy as I spend that $100 credit on something or the other on our upcoming cruise. :cool:Then it's Hasta la Vista, Baby!

Thank you for your sense of humor.

I have had my NCL card for 5 years and the foreign transaction fees have existed at least that long. On the other hand, I also have a BoA travel card that doesn't have the foreign transaction fees and a better point system (excluding NCL purchases). I like the convenience of having both because I can transfer points back and forth between the two depending on what I need the points to cover.

The NCL card should be used exclusively for NCL charges (reservations & onboard spending), in my opinion. There are better rewards cards out there for other spending :cool:

I have had my NCL card for 5 years and the foreign transaction fees have existed at least that long. On the other hand, I also have a BoA travel card that doesn't have the foreign transaction fees and a better point system (excluding NCL purchases). I like the convenience of having both because I can transfer points back and forth between the two depending on what I need the points to cover.

The NCL card should be used exclusively for NCL charges (reservations & onboard spending),

in my opinion. There are better rewards cards out there for other spending :cool:

Squint your eyes B of A...

Thank you for posting.

Maybe if NCL get's it head out of their azz and theatens to join with another bank,

Bank of America will look closer at what/how the consumers would benifit?

Edited by $hip$hape

Just had a price reduction on an upcoming cruise and fellow CruiseCritics have been able to save $$. We used points for a meta double cross upgrade. Anyone have experience with how to take advantage of the price reduction while keeping the upgrade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just had a price reduction on an upcoming cruise and fellow CruiseCritics have been able to save $$. We used points for a meta double cross upgrade. Anyone have experience with how to take advantage of the price reduction while keeping the upgrade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No experience with this, as I just did my first double meta upgrade, but I am curious how much your inside cabin price dropped? When do you sail?

My feeling is that NCL probably not willing to allow price drops on those upgrades, but who knows? It cannot hurt to ask if they will do anything for you. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Just for kicks, I am going to set a price drop alert for the inside cabin I just upgraded to a balcony.

If you do call them to ask, please let us know what they say.

Thanks.

Hello I have a question on a potential cancellation- I have 2 cruises booked and paid for. I have around 8,000 points and 4,000 or so were from cruise #2, If I cancel cruise #2- do I have the 4,000 points deducted? Asking so that they will be there and that I don't use any of the 8,000 for a credit on cruise #1.

Also, if I ended up with a negative balance would i call BOA to have them send me a check vs. working up the negative balance to 0?

Thanks!

Hello I have a question on a potential cancellation- I have 2 cruises booked and paid for. I have around 8,000 points and 4,000 or so were from cruise #2, If I cancel cruise #2- do I have the 4,000 points deducted? Asking so that they will be there and that I don't use any of the 8,000 for a credit on cruise #1.

Also, if I ended up with a negative balance would i call BOA to have them send me a check vs. working up the negative balance to 0?

Thanks!

4000 deducted immeadiately from rewards and .

Your points are only worth $80 or 40 if you cancel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Forums mobile app

Thanks!

Any time a merchant issues a credit to your account, it also credits your points. Cancel cruise #2, and you will only have 4,000 points. If you do cancel cruise #2 and end up with a credit balance, you can call to have them refund it. It usually takes a few weeks to receive.