Clever Idea to Book $1 Deposit

cruzsnooze

Before everyone books a bunch of $1 deposit cruises, might want to read the fine print. I booked one this morning using the $1 a person deposit, and this was in the confirmation. I am not sure if this is correct or not, but the other sales,

it was $100 after the 70 days or so before final payment, then started increasing as it gets closer.

34818669045_677fb635ac_z.jpgcan by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

My booking confirmation does not show the $100 immediate penalty for cancelation; it does show the usual 10% starting the day after final payment is due.

I wonder why yours is different?

eta-I see from Geez Louise's post below that if a sailing also falls under a promotion (beyond the $1 deposit) that the rules for that promo also apply; my bookings did not fall under the RWB sale, so no cancelation penalty until after final payment.

Edited by cherylandtk

Can you clarify...does that mean you booked under Red White and Blue promo and that is why they would charge you $100 if you canceled?

Yes, the Red White and Blue promo has a non refundable deposit of $100. listed in the fare rules. The agent said that while they would accept $1. today (May22), should we cancel, we would forfeit $100. for each reservation.

So just a caution to ask the question, depending on what promotion is available on your sailing. My sailing in question isn't until January 2018 so I'm going to wait to book.

Yes, the Red White and Blue promo has a non refundable deposit of $100. listed in the fare rules. The agent said that while they would accept $1. today (May22), should we cancel, we would forfeit $100. for each reservation.

So just a caution to ask the question, depending on what promotion is available on your sailing. My sailing in question isn't until January 2018 so I'm going to wait to book.

Got it! Makes sense!

I did not pay close enough attention and booked a red white and blue.. and yes I see a cancellation fee...really bummed as the fare is quite high..my bad...but also a tricky on their part. dang

I wouldn't have thought about this either until someone pointed it out on this board! I was just lucky...the cruises I booked were outside of the Red White and blue sale!

I did not pay close enough attention and booked a red white and blue.. and yes I see a cancellation fee...really bummed as the fare is quite high..my bad...but also a tricky on their part. dang

I also booked a cruise this morning for May 2018 under the Red, White and Blue sale for a $1.00 deposit. Unfortunately, I realized too late, as you did, that there is a $100 cancellation fee after booking if you book under the Red, White and Blue sale...so although it's only $1.00 deposit, it is $100 if you cancel after booking....I totally missed this one...I agree it is a bit tricky on the part of Princess, but the booking is on me....it got by me in my enthusiasm to book earlier than I usually would...advantage Princess....

Edited by SteelMagnolia9

I did not have any trouble with the website being slow and I booked during business hours. I didn't book anything within the red, white, and blue sale and the cancellation policy is standard same as other cruises. As for whether this is "bad for business" for Princess - I doubt it. I'll bet a lot of people book staterooms they later cancel and the deposits are kept, and considering the time in advance you need to pay they can probably fill most of those rooms. The last Princess cruise I took was booked solid. $2 doesn't sound like a lot, but when you add $2 for everyone who booked to leave their options open but is not certain they will go and then cancels - it's a lot of money for them for providing nothing.

I booked a couple of rooms on b2b cruises for 2018. Is it allowed to cancel those and rebook under the 1$ deposit. It is a lot of hassle to call and cancel and then rebook everything and won't try if it can't be done. Anyone with any insight?

Edited by CruisinEars

I booked a couple of rooms on b2b cruises for 2018. Is it allowed to cancel those and rebook under the 1$ deposit. It is a lot of hassle to call and cancel and then rebook everything and won't try if it can't be done. Anyone with any insight?

Got an answer. I was able to call Princess and they rebooked for the $1 deposit for me. Easy peasy.

I am just wondering which one is correct. I would think the passenger's contract should be, just never seen this before.

May try to call Princess when they open if I get a chance & can get through to them to see what they say.

I just hung up the phone with Princess, and was told this $100 cancellation fee was not correct that they originally sent me. It does follow what is in the passenge contract that the most you would lose is the deposit. They are suppose to be sending me a revised confirmation and/or a note, showing that $100 cancellation fee is not applicable.

It sounds like the IT department, changed the deposit amount to be $1, but not the cancellation schedule in the email confirmations, or maybe they did later in the morning, and I had booked before the change was in. Could explain why some others did not see it.

Once I get the revised email from them, I will try and post it here.

I just hung up the phone with Princess, and was told this $100 cancellation fee was not correct that they originally sent me. It does follow what is in the passenge contract that the most you would lose is the deposit. They are suppose to be sending me a revised confirmation and/or a note, showing that $100 cancellation fee is not applicable.

It sounds like the IT department, changed the deposit amount to be $1, but not the cancellation schedule in the email confirmations, or maybe they did later in the morning, and I had booked before the change was in. Could explain why some others did not see it.

Once I get the revised email from them, I will try and post it here.

I hope this is true! I read the passenger contract when I booked this 30 minutes ago and this $100 fee was not noted anywhere that I read. I just saw the $100 per person cancellation fee and am LIVID. on hold with them now. It lists today as the day by which to cancel so I am hoping I can cancel without penalty if true.

It's totally bait and switch if true.

Hi again, just got off the phone with Princess. I guess it pays to keep asking. Regardless of the Red White and Blue promotion, the deposit requested is $1 and the cancellation would be $1. This apparently over rules the non-refundable $100. attached to that special. I asked repeatedly and received the same answer from Princess. I made the booking ;).

My booking confirmation does not show the $100 immediate penalty for cancelation; it does show the usual 10% starting the day after final payment is due.

I booked today under the $1 deposit deal and my email confirmation shows the same as yours...with the 10% starting the day after final contact. But when I read the passage contract it says that the cancellation fee should be no more than the deposit amount which should be the $1 and not 10% of fare.

I called Princess about the discrepancy and the agent told me that what is printed is automatic and I'd have to contact customer relations.

I called Princess about the discrepancy and the agent told me that what is printed is automatic and I'd have to contact customer relations.

I received my confirmation and it included the $100 canc. fee, despite my conversation with agent to the contrary.

I called Princess back AGAIN and they assured me it IS combinable ($1 deposit and RWand B sale). The agent would not send me an email confirming this, but she did make a note on my reservation file. I guess I just keep my fingers crossed at this point...:rolleyes: