Eastern Caribbean Port changes

kc58ab

Actually no they usually don't do any kind of price adjustment from eastern to western itinerary change. We've had this to happen twice to us due to hurricane or tropical storm situations. The only thing you can recoup is port fees if those ports aren't visited. However one year we had a Bermuda cruise booked and it got rerouted to an eastern itinerary and we did receive some compensation for the difference. I think it was a 25% off future cruise offer which really only benefited someone on a future cruise. The Bermuda cruise was a more expensive cruise than an eastern itinerary would have been for that time of the year but that was all we received. Don't expect anything and you might be surprised at the outcome. We were glad to be out of harms way and had beautiful weather on our re-routed itinerary so we were thankful for that!

We have a Eastern Caribbean cruise on Splendor next week, on the 23rd. I'm curious to see if there will be any changes to our itinerary. I'll be happy to go where ever as long as I'm on vacation. This will be my 12th cruise on Carnival and have been to many of the Caribbean Island. There has been such devastation due to the hurricane of late, they can use our financial contribution.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2017/09/13/irma-fallout-st-thomas-st-martin-could-off-cruise-schedules-weeks-maybe-months/660863001/

I would think if only one island (or two even) was affected on the itinerary then they will either replace it with a different island or have only 3 stops instead of 4. As people have mentioned, in the case of one less stop you would be refunded the port fees.

They probably wouldn't want to divert the full cruise because the Western Ports might not have the space for all of the Eastern cruises to go there too, and also places that still sustained damage but have an open port such as Grand Turk and San Juan would welcome the tourism revenue. Not sure if it's true, but someone told me once that Carnival paid to help build up the terminal in Grand Turk so they would have a vested interest in keeping cruise ships going there. And obviously to Amber Cove as well.

I'm scheduled on the Magic on 10/7 to San Juan, St. Thomas, Amber Cove and Grand Turk. I heard that St. Thomas might be replaced with St. Kitts.

This is a great question and we are booked on the Vista leaving October 7th. Our itinerary was Grand Turk, Puerto Rico, St. Maarten and St. Kitts so pretty much zero chance of that happening although from what I understand the only one that"s 100% out is St. Maarten. We also booked this for the itinerary and it was pretty much Carnival's priciest itinerary due to New Ship and the itinerary. While I understand the circumstances and we are going to have a good cruise regardless of where they take us I have to admit I'll be a bit disappointed if this gets changed to a western itinerary as I could have booked one for 60% of the price of this cruise...oh well, unless they wait to change it until we're on board I can always cancel (bought the insurance) and just rebook a last minute cruise :) Either way, I feel really bad for all the people affected by this storm and having a cruise rerouted isn't really being affected much. Who knows...maybe we stay on the Eastern route and can help with the rebuilding process.

We are leaving this Sunday on the Magic for that same itinerary. I will comebback and let you know if we visited the ports. We have the social media internet package, maybe I will be able to post while on the ship.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Forums mobile app

With St Kitts, San Juan and Grand Turk up an running, I am guessing the Vista will don't original route planned for Oct 7 . Maybe replace St martin with half moon Cay? I would be fine with that!

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I don't think the Vista can go to HMC. Something to do with the size. At least that's what I recall hearing. Whatever the reason is why it doesn't go there regularly.

The thing people seem to fail to take into account is that it's just not that simple for the cruiseline to change ports. Other nearby ports may already have the berths full.

People often complain and say "why didn't we just go to wherever" as though all the captain has to do is change course.

Folks need to just wait and see what happens. I'm on an 11-night HAL cruise leaving 11/8. First port was supposed to be St Martin. Next-to-last was supposed to be St Thomas. Maybe they'll be able to substitute other ports, maybe we'll get more sea days.

If there are changes, I don't expect any sort of compensation. After all, the cruise contract says they can (and often do) change ports at the last minute. We're purchasing the cruise, not the port stops.

I also mostly book based on the ports, not the ship. But if there are changes, so be it. That's how it goes sometimes.

TARAM999 hopefully we'll see you on the cruise! We went for the Havana area so that should be interesting and if we miss St. Maarten and add a sea day we may be glad to have that available. Maybe they add HMC or the Dominican, Maybe they take us further south since we have 8 days or maybe we just float around in the sunshine...who knows? Whatever happens we're going to have fun but I kind of hope that we visit some of the original islands so we can bring them tourism dollars.

For those on here commenting about how we should be more concerned about the people living on these islands....do you honestly think all of us don't realize the hardship they've gone thru and are going thru or even that many of us may have family and friends affected by these storms? We get it and don't really need a lecture about wondering about the status of our vacations.

Hi Cherrilips, we are also on the Splendor the week of the 23rd and I can't agree with you more that they can use our financial contributions. This is my 5th cruise with Carnival and I too will be just happy to cruise. My husband and I have been praying daily for the hurricane families.

i received an email from a local tour i have/had a reservation for on St. Martin. this is the first communication i received since Irma about what's happening on the island.

(email received 9-14-2017)

To all my valued friends and clients,

I can not thank you enough for your concerns and emails about our safety during Hurricane Irma and St.Martin.

As you have seen in the news, Irma made a direct hit in St.Martin on Sept 5-6. It totally devastated the island. We were lucky and only lost 3 of our 11 boats and everyone is safe.

I personally was able to get evacuated yesterday by fishing boat to St. Kitts where I was able to get on a flight to Chicago with my dog and drive a rental car to Long Island NY. I am lucky to get out with the shirt on my back and a few important belongings and papers.

My house withstood the storm with minimal damage but most others were destroyed. The night of the storm was particularly scary and the days and nights following the storm were also dangerous because of looting.

We are hoping to be back in business by the middle of December 2017 as long as the cruise ships start coming back but that all depends on how quickly the island rebuilds infrastructure.

he believes he could be back in business sometime this December. that would be great news considering the decimation St. Martin experienced from Irma.

sharing this to help others gain perspective on what might occur in the coming months with cruises listing St. Martin as a port.

i received an email from a local tour i have/had a reservation for on St. Martin. this is the first communication i received since Irma about what's happening on the island.

(email received 9-14-2017)

To all my valued friends and clients,

I can not thank you enough for your concerns and emails about our safety during Hurricane Irma and St.Martin.

As you have seen in the news, Irma made a direct hit in St.Martin on Sept 5-6. It totally devastated the island. We were lucky and only lost 3 of our 11 boats and everyone is safe.

I personally was able to get evacuated yesterday by fishing boat to St. Kitts where I was able to get on a flight to Chicago with my dog and drive a rental car to Long Island NY. I am lucky to get out with the shirt on my back and a few important belongings and papers.

My house withstood the storm with minimal damage but most others were destroyed. The night of the storm was particularly scary and the days and nights following the storm were also dangerous because of looting.

We are hoping to be back in business by the middle of December 2017 as long as the cruise ships start coming back but that all depends on how quickly the island rebuilds infrastructure.

he believes he could be back in business sometime this December. that would be great news considering the decimation St. Martin experienced from Irma.

sharing this to help others gain perspective on what might occur in the coming months with cruises listing St. Martin as a port.

Thanks for sharing.

Can you tell I'm new to this!? I need to delete my 1st comment. I wrote "a extra day" instead of "an" . I have no idea how to delete the entire comment, any tips?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I believe the edit button is only available for a certain period of time after posting. Not sure the actual exact length of time, but I don't feel like it's very long. Not sure you can delete it entirely, but you could edit it to just say deleted which I've seen before. I'm sure you could probably contact Administration to have them remove it, but I wouldn't worry about it and the case of a versus an. It happens to us all. :cool:

I believe the edit button is only available for a certain period of time after posting. Not sure the actual exact length of time, but I don't feel like it's very long. Not sure you can delete it entirely, but you could edit it to just say deleted which I've seen before. I'm sure you could probably contact Administration to have them remove it, but I wouldn't worry about it and the case of a versus an. It happens to us all. :cool:

Ok, I will try to edit, thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just a thought/question: a few have suggested that if Carnival were to do a western itinerary vs an eastern, it would be cheaper and therefore, the passenger should get a refund. So based on that suggestion, if your eastern itinerary would be changed to a more expensive southern itinerary, you'd be more than willing to pay the additional upcharge?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Those islands impacted by Irma need the port fees from the cruise ships for recovery. :ship::ship: Thus they will try their best to have the cruise ports in tourist form.

We were in Grand Turk a few years ago soon after a hurricane. The port was open, tours were running - even while school was still being held with the student desks outside under the trees.:)