Birthday on cruise!!

Sea and Me

I was wondering how many of you have celebrated a birthday on a cruise? This is our first carnival cruise although we have cruised on other lines. We celebrated special occasions before and notified the dining staff of the occasion. This will be a family cruise and one of our granddaughters will be celebrating her birthday. I was thinking of ordering the birthday cake but then again was wondering what the dining staff would do once notified. Those of you in the same situation what did you do??

Thanks in advance for your posts:).

You can note it in your Cruise Manager online. You can also purchase Happy Birthday cabin decor in the FunShops online, and your steward will have the room decorated when you board. They might put a piece of cake in your room. If YOU notify the waitstaff, they will sing Happy Birthday, but you have to notify them....they don't automatically do it anymore.

My sister got us a cake for our anniversary. It was absolutely gorgeous! But I felt so wasteful because there's so much food on the ship that we only tasted a tiny bit of it and then had to throw the remainder away. :(

The last time we cruised on my DH's birthday, he received a $50 coupon to use at the Spa. He usually goes to the Spa at least once during our cruises, so he loved it. Have a great cruise!

If you list it on the special occasions section on your booking, you may receive a small individual cake at the MDR and singing by the wait staff. In addition, you may receive a coupon in your room for a free meal in a specialty restaurant (jijis, cucina) or a free photo. This is what we have received in the past.

We have ordered a small cake from the fun shops, but as others posters have stated it was wasted because it’s just too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have ordered cakes in the past and I agree they are just too much for two people. If there are more people to share it, it would be fine. We usually order flowers for 7+ day cruises.

We have ordered cakes in the past and I agree they are just too much for two people. If there are more people to share it, it would be fine. We usually order flowers for 7+ day cruises.

There will be 12 of us 8 adults and 4 teens. It would be nice to have a birthday cake. There probably won’t be much leftover:p I think I will order one, I will ask my daughter about it.

Even if you do not order a cake, just let the waitstaff know ahead of time. They will bring a little cake with a candle to the birthday person at no charge, and everyone can order dessert as they prefer. They'll probably sing too. If you indicate on your cruise info that you will be celebrating a birthday, there will probably be some other goodies - On a family cruise where several were celebrating birthdays, each of them got a bottle of wine, a spa certificate, and a free photo certificate.

Even if you do not order a cake, just let the waitstaff know ahead of time. They will bring a little cake with a candle to the birthday person at no charge, and everyone can order dessert as they prefer. They'll probably sing too. If you indicate on your cruise info that you will be celebrating a birthday, there will probably be some other goodies - On a family cruise where several were celebrating birthdays, each of them got a bottle of wine, a spa certificate, and a free photo certificate.

Thanks for the info. If I do as you suggested, those that don’t like cake can order their dessert off the menu. Sounds good, thanks again.

We've celebrated several birthdays and anniversaries on our cruises. At a minimum, the dining staff will bring out a piece of cake at dinner and sing happy birthday. As others mentioned, you can also order full birthday cakes from the Fun Shops. One cruise we took was for my brother and sister-in-laws 15th anniversary. We had the whole family and other friends join us on that cruise. I think we had 20-22 people total in our group. I worked with the special requests group and reserved a private party for our group to celebrate them. It was a complete surprise to my brother and SIL and it all worked out great. We had a room for 2 hours after our dinner. The private party package included unlimited cocktails (pre-Cheers days) and some small snacks (peanuts/pretzels). I also ordered a cake for the event. We had a great time! And the cost was very reasonable on a per person basis.

I celebrated my birthday on the Dream in December. I noted that on my cruise manager but never mentioned it to anyone on the ship. My room steward left me a $12 pixels gift card and a $50 spa gift card. The waitstaff in the main dining room also sang to me and brought me a delicious little cake.

There will be 12 of us 8 adults and 4 teens. It would be nice to have a birthday cake. There probably won’t be much leftover:p I think I will order one, I will ask my daughter about it.

Like people are saying have it added to your cruise manager, and it will not get missed (or at least it should not). This has worked every time for us. This was both my B-day and one of our anniversaries, two different cruises, and two different cruise lines.

You'll hear "Hoppy Bird Day" sung several times by the dining room staff. It's a lot of fun....Enjoy!

"Hoppy Bird Day Two Shoes. Hoppy Bird Day Two Shoes, Hoppy Birds Day, Hoppy Birds Day, Hoppy Birds Day Twoooooooo Shoes"!

My daughter celebrated her birthday on our cruise and I ordered her a cake and like a previous poster said, it got wasted. After it sits out for a little bit it gets kind of melty. I had also put in my cruise manager notes that she would be celebrating while we on board but didn't know what they would do for her and honestly had forgot about even putting it on there. While at dinner that night they brought her a birthday cupcake and sang Happy Birthday. If I had known they was going to that I would not have bought the cake.

My sister took me a on a cruise one year for my birthday and we were seated at a table for 8 in MDR.

Mid cruise, before dessert, our waiter came over with a big cake and said" Happy September Birthdays." It turned out that 7 of the 8 of us were all born in September, a few days apart..

Our only guess is that the cruise line linked us by dates of birth since no one at the table had ordered a cake.

This was 15 years ago when things were different.(RCL, not Carnival) I can't see the cruise lines doing this today...

It was a nice gesture and the cakes were really good back then...LOL