What to wear on Northern Lights Cruise

alan9945

For outside wear in lower tempretures can I recommend lined Craghopper trousers which you should be able to get in most decent outdoor shops in the UK.

They just look like a normal,pair of black or blue chinos from the outside but inside they are fully fleece lined and toasty warm. They are also waterproof and very light so it doesn't feel as bulky as thermals and normal trousers do when worn together.

It is well into the minus here tonight (forecast for minus 6) so I may even get mine out for wearing tomorrow.❄️

As others have said inside the ship is generally not particulalry cold.

Hi Eglesbrech..... I am not sure if you are male or female lol, but I just wanted to say that my husband wore his Craghoppers winter lined trousers and was really nice and warm BUT my women's ones were a disappointment.. :(

Hi Eglesbrech..... I am not sure if you are male or female lol, but I just wanted to say that my husband wore his Craghoppers winter lined trousers and was really nice and warm BUT my women's ones were a disappointment.. :(

Hi, female and mine were toasty. My husband has them as well and they are both the same design with a thick fleece lining? Not cheap but effective, well for me at least.

Hi, female and mine were toasty. My husband has them as well and they are both the same design with a thick fleece lining? Not cheap but effective, well for me at least.

Ours looked the same design from the outside, but were subtly different. The linings were subtly different too and mine had a different range name as well AND were not cheap and mine were even more expensive than his (!! :( ) but were really a disappointment. Even with layers underneath, I really felt the cold on my upper legs when wearing them. He didn't. I was really miffed.

Hi there,

We did the Northern Lights cruise last year on Oriana. On the ship I wore a blouse/shirt with either a lightweight jumper or a thin fleece top (bought very cheap in one of the 'Outdoor Wear' shops) and normal trousers. for the formal nights I wore usual posh wear and carried a wrap, just in case it was needed, but often not. Outside I wore thermal tights and my Craghopper fleece trousers and a thermal long-sleeved vest with jumper over. On the night visit out to view the lights - and we only caught a brief glimpse of them - I wore all this plus thick socks, with fur-lined boots, woolly hat and scarf, thermal gloves and carried 'tea-bag' hand warmers, along with my heavy padded coat. We were impressed with the beautiful soft, dry snow, no slush like in UK. Hope you have a great time.

We did this last year and loved it. During the day we often moved around the ship buy using the outer decks (when they were open) so a tee shirt, jeans and light fleece jacket was the usual attire.

As has previously been said evenings as normal cruise wear with a wrap, but there could be cold draughts.

In port it all about layers - I invested in the Go Outdoors ski pack (last year was £60) and got trouser and jacket, socks and base layer so was very good value. Then just layered up, with numerous layers underneath. I resembled a michelin man but was never cold even when we were out at -20C at 1:30am. Footwear I wore my walking boots and thermal socks.

Snow in Tromso and walked across the bridge in a blizzard. Alta had numerous roads closed due to high snowfall but it was crisp and dry and built a snowman on deck!

Would do it again if DH would let me :)