Perry Grant

CHESHIRE CHEESE

My wife and I left Eclipse last week after a very enjoyable two week cruise. One of the highlights for us, and a significant reason why we booked the cruise, was the presence of Perry Grant. He was back on the ship after a six week vacation, and was in splendid form. He was in Michael's Club, rather than in the Sky Lounge on Deck 14. The L- shaped nature of the room is not ideal, but it still worked, and we ended up with standing room only on every night.

I do sometimes wonder if the top management in Miami fully appreciate what a gem they have in Perry; to see a hundred or so people finally leaving the room each night at about 12.30 so happy and relaxed must be unique . No wonder Perry says,'you won't see this on any other cruise ship!'

Just a couple of other points about our cruise. This was the first time we have had an inclusive Drinks Package; we both enjoy a drink and it was great not to be signing chits on a regular basis. The only adverse point concerns the closing time of 9am for the Blu Restaurant re breakfast. Considering that we had six sea days and two days when we did not have an early arrival in port, we felt a 9 am closure was too early. We are on holiday, after all. Our only other experience of Aqua class was on Millennium in April, and I am sure the closure time was later than on that cruise.

My wife and I left Eclipse last week after a very enjoyable two week cruise. One of the highlights for us, and a significant reason why we booked the cruise, was the presence of Perry Grant. He was back on the ship after a six week vacation, and was in splendid form. He was in Michael's Club, rather than in the Sky Lounge on Deck 14. The L- shaped nature of the room is not ideal, but it still worked, and we ended up with standing room only on every night.

I do sometimes wonder if the top management in Miami fully appreciate what a gem they have in Perry; to see a hundred or so people finally leaving the room each night at about 12.30 so happy and relaxed must be unique . No wonder Perry says,'you won't see this on any other cruise ship!'

Just a couple of other points about our cruise. This was the first time we have had an inclusive Drinks Package; we both enjoy a drink and it was great not to be signing chits on a regular basis. The only adverse point concerns the closing time of 9am for the Blu Restaurant re breakfast. Considering that we had six sea days and two days when we did not have an early arrival in port, we felt a 9 am closure was too early. We are on holiday, after all. Our only other experience of Aqua class was on Millennium in April, and I am sure the closure time was later than on that cruise.

Many thanks for the Heads-Up for PG on the Eclipse. We now know what ship to book, or not, as the case may be.

Hi Cheshire Cheese,

Thank you for your kind comments about Perry. Despite a rude comment from an earlier poster, We feel Perry is one of Celebrity's very best performers, and an absolute gem. Quite frankly, Perry is one of the main reasons we booked our sailing on Eclipse next month, and we are looking forward to seeing him again.

I often wonder what happened to the old adage : "if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say it at all"... especially when talking about others. Celebrity's onboard officers, crew & entertainers are working their butts off, 7 days a week, at all hours of the day and night, doing whatever possible to make your cruise a great one. Why bash them ? It's certainly very impolite, to say the least.

Edited by Host Andy

Thank you for your post. We are really looking forward to Perry in less than 3 weeks.

I totally agree with you about the closing time of 9AM in Blu. We were on Millennium in April and arrived one morning just minutes after 9AM and were told it was closed. Bummer. We have 8 sea days on this next cruise and I'm sure there will be lots of people who arrive too late for Blu, esp if they are with Perry till 12:30AM!

Hi Cheshire Cheese,

Thank you for your kind comments about Perry. Despite a rude comment from an earlier poster, We feel Perry is one of Celebrity's very best performers, and an absolute gem. Quite frankly, Perry is one of the main reasons we booked our sailing on Eclipse next month, and we are looking forward to seeing him again.

I often wonder what happened to the old adage : "if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say it at all"... especially when talking about others. Celebrity's onboard officers, crew & entertainers are working their butts off, 7 days a week, at all hours of the day and night, doing whatever possible to make your cruise a great one. Why bash them ? It's certainly very impolite, to say the least.

Hi Andy:

You know that threads go off in all directions when Perry's name is mentioned. I believe that many fail to separate "Perry, the Person" from "Perry, the Entertainer". I'm not the biggest fan (my DW is). To me the act wears a bit thin the more you see it. However, I appreciate his energy and feel that he makes the most of his talent. Perry, the person is just wonderful. He is one of the most caring and sensitive people I've ever met. He is genuinely kind and caring. I couldn't agree more with your comments about the crew. They are truly dedicated to providing the best they can to make every cruise special. Naturally there are some who fail to deliver, but they don't last very long. The most frequent comment I hear from "top Cruisers" when they're asked: "why they choose Celebrity?" is: The Crew.

Hi Cheshire Cheese,

Whatever happened to freedom of speech... Surely if it's ok to say how wonderful people are on these boards then equally if you feel strongly enough about something or someone you have the right to post such things on a public forum? Positive or negative?

I thought that was the idea of these forums for people to give their opinions.... Their own opinions! Not just become sheep and follow others in saying how great things or people are...

In my honest opinion I feel perry grant is a decent chap doing what he does best, and has a cult following that is for sure... but I think his act is very dated and far from the modern luxury strap line that celebrity advertise!

Whatever happened to freedom of speech... Surely if it's ok to say how wonderful people are on these boards then equally if you feel strongly enough about something or someone you have the right to post such things on a public forum? Positive or negative?

I thought that was the idea of these forums for people to give their opinions.... Their own opinions! Not just become sheep and follow others in saying how great things or people are...

In my honest opinion I feel perry grant is a decent chap doing what he does best, and has a cult following that is for sure... but I think his act is very dated and far from the modern luxury strap line that celebrity advertise!

Totally agree. What one person likes, another doesn't.

Personally we don't like but recognise that others feel differently. I am certain that my entertainment preferences, which involve particulary loud rock music, would put many off. Since I don't expect to find that on a cruise I am never disappointed.

Every one is different and we all need to remember that one person's ideal performance is the absolute nightmare for the person they sat beside on a sunbed that afternoon.

The forum is about opinions and if posters are restricted, the us little point in it existing.

It's not at all about freedom of speech. That's baloney. Opinions are one thing - being rude is another. It's a simple matter of politeness, especially when naming anyone who's career might depend on what's said. Would you like it if I posted on a public forum that you were dismal at what you do ? I don't think so. Do manners and common sense no longer matter ? I sure hope not !

I still feel it's unnecessary to bash someone. It's one thing to say someone is not your cup of tea, but over time... some of the comments are quite rude, and IMO, that's inappropriate.

Edited by Host Andy

We too were on the Eclipse last week.

Loved Perry, great show and a lovely chap.

Met him a few times around the ship, he was always pleasant.

He enhanced our cruise and would be a factor in booking again!

I agree with host Andy, kind words don't cost anything, harsh ones can cost

the recipient.

It's not at all about freedom of speech. That's baloney. Opinions are one thing - being rude is another. It's a simple matter of politeness, especially when naming anyone who's career might depend on what's said. Would you like it if I posted on a public forum that you were dismal at what you do ? I don't think so. Do manners and common sense no longer matter ? I sure hope not !

I still feel it's unnecessary to bash someone. It's one thing to say someone is not your cup of tea, but over time... some of the comments are quite rude, and IMO, that's inappropriate.

So it ok to call a member of a public forum "rude" but it's not ok for someone to give their own opinion on someone or something on a public forum?!

It sounds like a case of double standards to me!

You can say what you want on this forum as long as its positive and rose coloured!

So it ok to call a member of a public forum "rude" but it's not ok for someone to give their own opinion on someone or something on a public forum?!

It sounds like a case of double standards to me!

You can say what you want on this forum as long as its positive and rose coloured!

I disagree that everything must be positive and rose colored. There are countless posts throughout the forums, which are anything but that. My point was, that it's one thing to make a negative comment about something in general, but when it involves an individual by name, it's a whole different matter, as it could hurt them. Say what you want. There's plenty of ways to do it respectfully. However, going out of your way to bash them, seems unreasonable - at least to me. That's just how I feel about it, and I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Can we shake hands now ? :)

I did not read any of the deleted posts so this comment is not directed at them or their removal. I must say that I've had some posts removed and upon reflection most of them should have been removed. I've even written one or two knowing that they would be removed, but I wanted someone to see them. That being said, the boards are not publically owned and the owners reserve the right to control content. Their board, their rules. Don't like it, don't indicate that you agree when you register. The moderators are selected by the owners and they accept the invitation to act as Moderators without compensation. Think that there are times when people might say what they truly believe, but say it in a tone that might provoke unwanted hostility (flaming). It is my opinion that one should focus on the argument, the pro and cons. However, sometimes the focus becomes "the person" and that in my view can become a problem. I am aware that Celebrity monitors these discussions and I will only offer praise when deserved. If I experience a negative I'll discuss it with those involved on the ship. If that doesn't work I'll contact Celebrity. My opinion is only my opinion. Censorship can kill a board, but so can nastiness and unwarranted negativity.

Perhaps because they were deleted prior to your viewing them.

I didn't view them as well.

FYI, no previous posts were deleted from this thread.

Edited by Host Andy

Andy, perhaps I missed it but I have not seen any rude comments on this thread.

Went to see what the fuss was about.

Based solely on the 5-6 videos I watched, Perry Grant is the antithesis of Modern Luxury.

I'm sure he has his fans and they should watch him entertain on a HAL ship.

There is a simple bottom line fact here: Perry Grant makes money for Celebrity. Can't say too much here, but I know that there was a cost-benefit discussion when he was offered a new contract. Do a thread search and you might find some comments. As I said previously: I'm not a Perry groupie, but many are. He fills Michael's Club to capacity when he performs, while the same venue remains empty on ships sans Perry. Don't know the definition of "modern Luxury", but do understand the Corporate motivation to retain him. It's called MONEY.

There is a simple bottom line fact here: Perry Grant makes money for Celebrity. I'm not a Perry groupie, but many are. He fills Michael's Club to capacity when he performs, while the same venue remains empty on ships sans Perry. Don't know the definition of "modern Luxury", but do understand the Corporate motivation to retain him. It's called MONEY.
As a businessman with a bottom line mentality, it is impossible to argue with you. You are right but..

I have been on a grand total of 1 Celebrity cruise. :o

I mostly loved it but was greatly surprised by the sleazy art auctions and "gold by the inch" sales.

They must be money makers or they would be discontinued.

I am sure that Perry is popular and that that he makes money for RCCL as do fake jewelry and even faker art.

Perhaps they should discontinue the Modern Luxury tag line.

Perry is a gem- met him twice on board Connie! Never ever have I seen Michael´s Club this packed EVERY EVENING! When we met him around the ship he was always friendly and took the time for small chat!

Well as for the " Modern Luxury" - since when do we take advertisments quite literaly- I never did. There are a few Luxury Cruise lines out there! X is a tad better then the other Mass Markt cruise lines. One can defninate " Luxury" quite different- for me it is a luxury to go for breakfast and not to lift a finger to get someting prepared. I come back to my cabin - and it is done and clean- and so on. I went with Costa once, because they had " GREAT PRICE" - well once was enough- same size of ship than the Millenium Class and at least 600 passengers more... I could go on but that would totaly off topic! Whenever I have to decide for cruise with the same or similar ports- one with Perry preforming and one " regular " - I would descide on the one Perry is on.

Hi Andy,

Please tell me that Perry Grant will be on the Eclipse for the January 11, 2014 sailing?

We love Perry!

Catalina56

Hi Catalina,

I had heard some talk about Perry taking a very brief vacation sometime in January 2014, but I'm unsure if that is now definite, and what dates are involved. I will see if I can find out for you. Stay Tuned !

I am still confused. Andy has referred to rude posts about this Perry fellow, but as of this time none have been offered. So what is all the fuss about? As amatter of fact, I do not believe that anyone has excoriated this Perry fellow on this thread.

Hi Jack,

I'd rather not comment on specific posts. I did so earlier today, and it apparantly upset a couple of members, so I apologize for that. I said what I wished to say, as did others... so I hope we can just move on.

Edited by Host Andy

Based solely on the 5-6 videos I watched, Perry Grant is the antithesis of Modern Luxury.

I'm sure he has his fans and they should watch him entertain on a HAL ship.

Andy, perhaps I missed it but I have not seen any rude comments on this thread.

How about this...

Edited by teecee60