Just a Half Day in Plymouth

drcpa

Let me say at the outset that I realize this is a minor, first world issue and I write this good naturedly knowing that preliminary cruise information can change at any time up to (and even after) a cruise begins.

I am booked on Viking's October 6 Amsterdam to Catalonia cruise.

The ship docks at Plymouth, England on day 4.

Over the last year I've been looking at the Viking cruise site that includes shore excursions. The Plymouth itinerary shows the included Plymouth tour as well as 12 other tours;

Salisbury and Stonehenge

Exbury Gardens and Lyndhurst

Beaulieu, National Motor Museum & New Forest

Bombay Sapphire & Laverstoke Mill

Historic Winchester and Its Glorious Cathedral

Mystic Stonehenge

Panoramic London

Kayaking in the Bealieu River

Journey along the Watercress Line

Fly in a Vintage Warbird

Somerley Estate

Hovercraft Ride and Osborne Estate

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/multi-region/amsterdam-to-catalonia/index.html#itineraryday/4

I've spent all year considering my options, comparing Salisbury to Winchester, considering a trip into London, wondering if I had the guts to strap into a Spitfire, and generally contemplating each excursion (I mean who doesn't like Bombay Sapphire?).

To my surprise, after all this (fun) planning I go into my actual Viking account to find there are only 2 shore excursions that day, Plymouth and Winchester. No London, no Spitfires, no Bombay Gin, no Salisbury, and no Stonehenge.

The reason?

We are only in Plymouth half a day and the rest of the activities take too long.

Is my life ruined, is my cruise ruined? Of course not, but I sure do wish Viking had done a better job in their cruise excursion descriptions and in setting expectations.

Let me say at the outset that I realize this is a minor, first world issue and I write this good naturedly knowing that preliminary cruise information can change at any time up to (and even after) a cruise begins.

I am booked on Viking's October 6 Amsterdam to Catalonia cruise.

The ship docks at Plymouth, England on day 4.

Over the last year I've been looking at the Viking cruise site that includes shore excursions. The Plymouth itinerary shows the included Plymouth tour as well as 12 other tours;

Salisbury and Stonehenge

Exbury Gardens and Lyndhurst

Beaulieu, National Motor Museum & New Forest

Bombay Sapphire & Laverstoke Mill

Historic Winchester and Its Glorious Cathedral

Mystic Stonehenge

Panoramic London

Kayaking in the Bealieu River

Journey along the Watercress Line

Fly in a Vintage Warbird

Somerley Estate

Hovercraft Ride and Osborne Estate

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/multi-region/amsterdam-to-catalonia/index.html#itineraryday/4

I've spent all year considering my options, comparing Salisbury to Winchester, considering a trip into London, wondering if I had the guts to strap into a Spitfire, and generally contemplating each excursion (I mean who doesn't like Bombay Sapphire?).

To my surprise, after all this (fun) planning I go into my actual Viking account to find there are only 2 shore excursions that day, Plymouth and Winchester. No London, no Spitfires, no Bombay Gin, no Salisbury, and no Stonehenge.

The reason?

We are only in Plymouth half a day and the rest of the activities take too long.

Is my life ruined, is my cruise ruined? Of course not, but I sure do wish Viking had done a better job in their cruise excursion descriptions and in setting expectations.

I have to say I agree with you. Disappointing. We had some very short "drive by" port calls on the World Cruise too. From your list I would just have to strap on the Spitfire!:eek: But you have a few hours in Plymouth. For consolation, there are some really nice pubs in Plymouth....:cool:

Portsmouth has the Historic Naval Dockyard, which is a great place to visit. Across the road from the dockyard they have a good selection of pubs.

If more interested in the beach you can head just outside the port to Southsea, which has a beach, common and a few attractions.

You can also take the passenger ferry across the inlet to Gosport, which has the RN Submarine Museum.

If you only have a 1/2 day, I wouldn't recommend heading into Southampton or Hamble, as the M27/275 traffic can be bad.

Portsmouth not Plymouth

let me say at the outset that i realize this is a minor, first world issue and i write this good naturedly knowing that preliminary cruise information can change at any time up to (and even after) a cruise begins.

i am booked on viking's october 6 amsterdam to catalonia cruise.

the ship docks at Portsmouth, England on day 4.

over the last year i've been looking at the viking cruise site that includes shore excursions. The Portsmouth itinerary shows the included portsmouth tour as well as 12 other tours;

salisbury and stonehenge

exbury gardens and lyndhurst

beaulieu, national motor museum & new forest

bombay sapphire & laverstoke mill

historic winchester and its glorious cathedral

mystic stonehenge

panoramic london

kayaking in the bealieu river

journey along the watercress line

fly in a vintage warbird

somerley estate

hovercraft ride and osborne estate

i've spent all year considering my options, comparing salisbury to winchester, considering a trip into london, wondering if i had the guts to strap into a spitfire, and generally contemplating each excursion (i mean who doesn't like bombay sapphire?).

to my surprise, after all this (fun) planning i go into my actual viking account to find there are only 2 shore excursions that day, portsmouth and winchester. No london, no spitfires, no bombay gin, no salisbury, and no stonehenge.

the reason?

we are only in portsmouth half a day and the rest of the activities take too long.

is my life ruined, is my cruise ruined? Of course not, but i sure do wish viking had done a better job in their cruise excursion descriptions and in setting expectations.

Is my life ruined, is my cruise ruined? Of course not, but I sure do wish Viking had done a better job in their cruise excursion descriptions and in setting expectations

We also sail on Oct. 6, from Bergen to Barcelona. I have spent months poring over the descriptions of the possible shore excursions, as you have done. I was disappointed to learn that our arrival in Barcelona on our last day does not take place until 1:00 PM, as I had a whole day planned in my head, but "Oh well". Like you, it won't ruin my cruise.

However, the thing you may have missed is the statement that Viking provides at the bottom of every page of potential shore excursions:

"Shore excursions vary by departure and are subject to change."

I believe Viking did a good job with the shore excursion descriptions, but it is up to us to manage our own expectations.

We also sail on Oct. 6, from Bergen to Barcelona. I have spent months poring over the descriptions of the possible shore excursions, as you have done. I was disappointed to learn that our arrival in Barcelona on our last day does not take place until 1:00 PM, as I had a whole day planned in my head, but "Oh well". Like you, it won't ruin my cruise.

However, the thing you may have missed is the statement that Viking provides at the bottom of every page of potential shore excursions:

"Shore excursions vary by departure and are subject to change."

I believe Viking did a good job with the shore excursion descriptions, but it is up to us to manage our own expectations.

Finish most of your packing before you arrive in Barcelona and then plan to not to return to the ship for dinner. It is Spain and not all of the museums or sites of interest close at 5pm and the city will be hoping until late into the evening.

Finish most of your packing before you arrive in Barcelona and then plan to not to return to the ship for dinner. It is Spain and not all of the museums or sites of interest close at 5pm and the city will be hoping until late into the evening.

Thanks! I hadn't actually thought of the idea of starting the packing during the morning (doh!). Luckily, we have been to Barcelona before and did a panoramic tour and a visit to Sagrada Familia. We haven't seen Park Guell or the Gothic Quarter and there are so many other sights to see that your idea sounds like a good plan. Our flight out is not until 1:00 pm, so at least we shouldn't need one of those middle of the night transfers.

Thanks! I hadn't actually thought of the idea of starting the packing during the morning (doh!). Luckily, we have been to Barcelona before and did a panoramic tour and a visit to Sagrada Familia. We haven't seen Park Guell or the Gothic Quarter and there are so many other sights to see that your idea sounds like a good plan. Our flight out is not until 1:00 pm, so at least we shouldn't need one of those middle of the night transfers.

Take a cab to Park Guell and back. Don't waste your time with getting around by public transit. On the return, ask to be dropped at the Cathedral and from there wander the Barrio Gotico. Picasso Museum is open late one night a week. And restaurant/bars abound in the area for dinner.

Take a hint - Winchester might just be a better option than Salisbury. Winchester has a lot of history to offer, whereas Salisbury is still suffering from the spy poison attack using Novichok deadly poison. You may decide that it's perfectly safe, but I am a bona fide coward.

Take a cab to Park Guell and back. Don't waste your time with getting around by public transit. On the return, ask to be dropped at the Cathedral and from there wander the Barrio Gotico. Picasso Museum is open late one night a week. And restaurant/bars abound in the area for dinner.

That sounds like a great idea, except I'm not particularly partial to Picasso. The Palau Guell is in that area and is open until 8, so maybe a double dose of Gaudi would do nicely.

Take a hint - Winchester might just be a better option than Salisbury. Winchester has a lot of history to offer, whereas Salisbury is still suffering from the spy poison attack using Novichok deadly poison. You may decide that it's perfectly safe, but I am a bona fide coward.

Perfect idea. Much thanks for the tip. Winchester it is!

That sounds like a great idea, except I'm not particularly partial to Picasso. The Palau Guell is in that area and is open until 8, so maybe a double dose of Gaudi would do nicely.

Right, if you don't love Picasso, no point in wasting time doing it.

If you haven't already seen it, Palau de Musica is another modernisme building near the Barrio G (off C/Laietano and not too far from the Barrio G) . They do tours of the building as well.

Right, if you don't love Picasso, no point in wasting time doing it.

If you haven't already seen it, Palau de Musica is another modernisme building near the Barrio G (off C/Laietano and not too far from the Barrio G) . They do tours of the building as well.

As always, thanks for your input.

Half a day in Plymouth, just have a wander round, it’s a nice place with interesting naval history.

ALSO the home of fantastic Plymouth Gin - the oldest working gin distillery in England. They do tours, and they have a shop.... I recommend the Navy Strength, although the regular one is pretty good too!

https://plymouthdistillery.com/

Half a day in Plymouth, just have a wander round, it’s a nice place with interesting naval history

Good advice, but you didn't read the thread otherwise you'd have spotted that OP is visiting Portsmouth, not Plymouth.

Good advice, but you didn't read the thread otherwise you'd have spotted that OP is visiting Portsmouth, not Plymouth.

Nope, drcpa definitely says they are docking in Plymouth!

Nope, drcpa definitely says they are docking in Plymouth!

In his first post, sorry didn’t see the post script!

Portsmouth also has interesting maritime history!