Flights to Caribbean - allowance

jones721

Anyone flown in the last couple of weeks with Thomson to Caribbean? How strict are they being with hand luggage? I am really struggling to get down to 5kg (including putting my handbag in my case). Has anyone's hand luggage been checked or weighed? I am used to flying on American flights where the hand luggage allowance is much more generous!

Thanks,

Tracey

Anyone flown in the last couple of weeks with Thomson to Caribbean? How strict are they being with hand luggage? I am really struggling to get down to 5kg (including putting my handbag in my case). Has anyone's hand luggage been checked or weighed? I am used to flying on American flights where the hand luggage allowance is much more generous!

Thanks,

Tracey

I hhaven t flown recently with Thomson but I think you will find that it depends on who checks your hand luggage as to whether its weighed or not.I always err on the side of caution and make sure I have only got the 5kg limit because I don t want to be embarrased/have to take things out or pay more if my luggage is checked.Some people may say their luggage wasn t checked so you should be ok but I think a lot of the luggage is checked and weighed.As someone on another forum posted 'Put heavy objects in your coat pockets/wear layers etc/heaviest shoes.'

I think you will find a ladies handbag is "separate" to hand luggage..at least thats what we have found

It is separate with some airlines and often they will not make you put it in your hand luggage but strictly speaking it has to be able to go into your hand luggage if asked to do so.

When we have flown with Thomson, cruise passengers have been allowed 7kgs as hand luggage....so worth checking all the small print! It might just have been for Thomson cruises though...we also found that changing our holdalls saved us some weight also going to the maximum size ....the airlines differ in this respect.

When we have flown with Thomson, cruise passengers have been allowed 7kgs as hand luggage....so worth checking all the small print! It might just have been for Thomson cruises though...we also found that changing our holdalls saved us some weight also going to the maximum size ....the airlines differ in this respect.

I think the 7 kg only applies to pax on a Thomson (Marella) cruise.

Also if you book Premium for the flight you get fast track security and No.1 lounge access at UK airports, which I don't think applies to a non Thomson cruise flight.

Can we pool our hand luggage allowance so that 2 x 5kg can be made up with (eg) 1 x 7kg cabin bag and 1 x 3kg handbag?

I'm not sure but I think the guidelines have got measurements as well as a weight limit and whereas I think you can pool the hold luggage I think each case has to be under 5kg(probably to fit in overhead locker but not certain about that)

There are different conditions/weight limits etc for planes chartered by P and O whether Thomson or Thomas Cook as opposed to their schedule flights

I used to think that as well but it is not true your baggage allowance is down to your airline especially when dealing with premium seats.

P&O’s FAQ’s goes through it.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/flights/baggage_allowance

The constant seems to be the 23kg limit on one case.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our Thomas Cook flight to the Caribbean, all the info. from P&O said 5 kg hand luggage allowance per person, but when we got to check in at Gatwick the limit on signs at the dedicated P&O check-in desks was 6 kg. Bit miffed because it would have been useful to have known about the extra kilo pp, as DS took a load of books to revise for his mock GCSEs and had to divvy them up between all of us.

• 2 weeks later...

Birmingham outward bound 2 weeks ago was very rigid to 1 item hand luggage and 5kg max,likewise on hold weight limits. The line ground to a halt while folks got rearranging their stuff and putting extra bags inside others so they only had one bag and paid for additional weight or rearranged hold stuff. First time I had ever seen that. Add to that problems with their computers and scales and premium priority took me almost 1.5 hours to get through, just annoying as my darn bags had been triple checked at home and stuff left behind and still all that waiting - sometimes you can't win. Coming back folks had multiple heavy bags inside the plane and no-one at Barbados was worried.

Birmingham outward bound 2 weeks ago was very rigid to 1 item hand luggage and 5kg max,likewise on hold weight limits. The line ground to a halt while folks got rearranging their stuff and putting extra bags inside others so they only had one bag and paid for additional weight or rearranged hold stuff. First time I had ever seen that. Add to that problems with their computers and scales and premium priority took me almost 1.5 hours to get through, just annoying as my darn bags had been triple checked at home and stuff left behind and still all that waiting - sometimes you can't win. Coming back folks had multiple heavy bags inside the plane and no-one at Barbados was worried.

Its frustrating especially when computers etc have problems. However the only people to blame for bags being overweight / size are the customers who think the guidance doesn't apply to them and so delay everyone behind them. Everything is pretty clear really. They perhaps should have taken them out of the line while they sorted themselves out.