The virtues of formal nights & why we like them

keithm

I love formal nights....for everyone else but myself. It provides me entertainment to see people dressed up not realizing that it not a requirement but if they enjoy dressing up, then why not?

Cruise long enough & the novelty wears off quickly. The whole formal routine on Princess will be gone shortly so the formalists should enjoy it while it lasts. It's the last mass market cruise line that hasn't officially eliminated them.

Cunard is considered a mass market line. The formal dress code is what makes them stand out. You still see it on Crystal & some of the luxury lines, so I wouldn't say it's dying out. I think you'll see modifications. On Celebrity even with "Chic" night. The Eclipse is really a pretty dressy ship on their 14 day trips.

Growing up in sunny Queensland, I used to hate Christmas. It was the one time of the year that mum insisted on us wearing a shirt for dinner.

If Grandma was coming, I also had to wear shoes!

I haven't improved much over the last 60 years but I did buy a new jacket for our first cruise in May this year.

The wife enjoyed watching the other travelers who had gone to some (extreme) effort to dress up.

We were so uninspired by the food in the MDR we didn't risk a formal night but it was still nice to see the others who did.

If we go on another cruise and if we can be convinced that the food has improved, I will probably pack the jacket again.

It's a shame the food was so bad. I hope you let them know about it. The Regal had very good food overall. Celebrity has seen the quality go down so much, we're checking other lines.

jwattle,

You guys are going to love your cruise on the Rowboat. Formal night is a big thing on the Rowboat.

I love wearing my tux!! Billy Chrystal once said it's better to look good then feel good. :D :D

The Captain of the Rowboat,

Tony

Tony, you always look Maaaavalous, simply Mavaaavalous!

If they would only serve the exact food in the Horizon buffet as in the DR most of the problems caused by people not wanting to dress formally would go away.

No, I feel the buffet should serve different food to give variety. Those who don't want to dress up can eat there & skip the formal MDR if they choose. Cunard is the only line overall that enforces the dress code across the entire ship.

we've only been on one cruise so far. I don't like dressing up much, but really enjoyed the 1st formal night. I wore black dress pants, teal shirt and a "trolls" tie from the Disney movie:) I grew tired of formal nights 2-4 on our 14 day cruise. Skipped the 3rd formal night and wore similar attire on the other nights, no coat.I did enjoy the people watching:)

Our 1st night was really heavy seas, some old timers said they had never seen it so rough even on a TA cruise. It was kinda scary watching all the ladies trying to navigate in heals that night. The one thing I didn't like was all the photographers blocking the stairs and every pathway each formal night. It gave me the impression that the main reason for all the formal nights was to sell photographs, but none of ours turned out nice enough to keep. The wife wanted a certain angle and would tell them so but they never got the angle she wanted in 3 nights of photographs we only kept one. I would have been content to have just one formal night each cruise.

Like the previous poster, I think it won't be too many years and the formal nights will go away with the next generation.

Even thought I wore the "troll tie" that's not what I'm doing here, I'm

Just sharing my opinion:) and had a great although less than comfortable time each formal night we attended.

On our last Eclipse trip, each Chic night it became more formal. Not really sure why. Formal nights don't have to be tuxes. A suit/sport coat & nice pants/shoes are fine.

I used to like formal nights but not anymore. I only pack one suitcase now , especially if I have to fly. I think those that like dressing up should continue to do so while those that don't shouldn't, personal choice.

I pack one case as well. Still easy to put in a suit/sport coat or 2. Yes, it's your choice, but I still feel that some codes should stay. I'd hate to see shorts in the MDR. at night. That's really where I draw the line.

This will be my first Princess cruise (seven night northbound Alaska), but I'm planning to bring either a charcoal business suit or a tan sport coat along for formal nights. Will this be in keeping with the spirit of the event? I've looked into renting a tux, but right now I'm thinking about putting the money elsewhere.

I suggest you take the charcoal business suit and leave the tan sport coat at home. One suit will suffice for even a couple (or more) formal nights. Maybe wear a different coloured tie or even a coloured shirt if you prefer.:)

We always dress formally for formal nights. The wife loves dressing up.

I do find peoples interpretation of acceptable attire at odds with mine. I wear short sleeved polo shirts playing golf all the time but would never consider them as smart casual for MDR evening wear.

Edited by Esprit
typo

I am sorry but I disagree with you. I love formal nights. People can always go to other restaurants or the buffet on formal nights. I guess I am British and stick to the rules rather than trying to bug the system. Also youngsters do enjoy dressing up. I run 4 balls a year and everyone dresses up to the nines. Just my opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs.

It quite understandable you like dressing up since you are British. Not being derogatory but from everything I've seen on cruise ships all Brits are typically like that.

People who suggest that others go elsewhere on formal nights really have't read what Princess deems as acceptable dress. It isn't strictly a suit & tie or a gown for the ladies any longer. They've relaxed their dress code many years ago although many people still quote only what they see posted at the door to the restaurant.

Enjoy your formal nights in any fashion you choose.

This fall will be our first Princess Cruise and we are looking forward to dressing up for formal night. For us it is partly for our enjoyment (although my husband will also enjoy changing back into more comfortable clothes after dinner), but also because we want to respect our host.

We enjoy MDR for most of our meals on past cruises (Carnival, RCCL, and NCL) both for the overall atmosphere and service and also for help with portion control. It makes me sad when I see posts telling other cruisers to go to the buffet or specialty dining if they don't want to dress up. There are many who are uncomfortable with buffets due to dietary issues or other health concerns, and some may not want to spend the extra for a specialty venue - which generally request a level of dress equal to the minimum for MDR formal.

Not everyone can reasonably afford tuxes/gowns, but I think most cruisers can fit an extra nice outfit or accessories to make their formal night a special experience.

I just wish I had space in my suitcase for more than 2 evening gowns. My husband has his suit and a change of jacket but unfortunately that's about all we can carry weight wise on international flights.

You need Camilla! http://www.camilla.com/au/

The full length kaftans, silk crepe with crystal embellishments, weight less than 220g, and take up abount the same amount of space as a rolled tshirt.

They are expensive but there are always sales! :D

We love formal nights. We have so few opportunities these days to dress up elegantly so really enjoy those nights when cruising.

I am slowly building a travel friendly formal wardrobe (see my post above). Our next cruise has four formal nights and, thanks to my lovely DH who bought me an early birthday present, I now have enough lightweight formal dresses to cover the four formal nights. *happy dance*

Late last year we did a last minute cruise on Carnival. I suggested to DH that he might like to just take a regular suit instead of his tuxedo. he just rolled his eyes at me, and packed the tux! :D We both got heaps of compliments about our formalwear.

No, I feel the buffet should serve different food to give variety. Those who don't want to dress up can eat there & skip the formal MDR if they choose. Cunard is the only line overall that enforces the dress code across the entire ship.

I have a problem with this way of thinking. We chose a cruise for so much more than if they have formal night. We both pay for our cruise ticket which includes being served in the MDR. I am not really the dress up kind of person but you feel that I should go to a buffet(which I am not a fan of) and serve myself or pay more money. How would you feel if they instead offered the Formal Experience for extra fee. Heck maybe they do it in Speciality Restaurant and couple it salon service for total experience. In my mind it is the same thing. That being said I will wear a dress on formal night and Hubby will wear a suit as way of paying price for eating in MDR.

I dress for dinner every night, just not formal. Tuxes and Suits have no place on my vacation. We usually sail on lines now that don't have them. I realize you said formal doesn't have to be tuxes an suits, but that's formal in my mind and honestly want no part of it while on vacation. Princess with it's British background will probably hang on to them a bit longer but industry wide, they're going the way of the dodo.

It's comments such as this that cause all the arguments.

As long as Princess allows people to eat in their DR dressed neatly, no one should be taking it upon themselves to be the dress police. True formal dress is not an absolute requirement.

You should re-read Princess's guidelines about examples on to dress dressing on formal nights and you might change your mind.

Any suggestions for "formal night" alternatives for men? DH has stopped taking a suit and now simply uses black slacks with white shirt and tie. I'm thinking maybe a white or ivory silk mock turtle-neck or banded collar shirt.

Any suggestions for "formal night" alternatives for men? DH has stopped taking a suit and now simply uses black slacks with white shirt and tie. I'm thinking maybe a white or ivory silk mock turtle-neck or banded collar shirt.

Last cruise I did a pair of gray slacks, a nice sweater with a dress shirt underneath. Didn't feel out of place. Nice way to skip the tie.

One thing I like about Princess is people seem to agree to the dress code. There is a time and a place for a swim suit, kakhis and a polo, and more elegant wear.

DH and I both work jobs that require suits/dresses very day so dressing up is no big deal....but it is appropriate and part of classic cruising. I love the fact that it is another one of those times where my sons have yet again learned how to dress for the occasion. They both know how to tie a tie and wear a blazer and slacks. When my youngest gets his tuxedo through school in another year, I will be getting my DH one as well and we will use it in our travels.

As for me, I don't pack anything that wrinkles. But I have a lovely black dress that depending on shoes and jewelry can go to work with a jacket or on formal evening with sparkling grey strappy dress sandals and diamond jewelry. I also have worn a floor length purple gown with a large rhinestone broach creating and empire waist. The same sandals go with this dress.

When we retire and are able to take longer cruises I will happily find more such dresses and we will continue to dress for formal evenings as long as they keep offering them!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It quite understandable you like dressing up since you are British. Not being derogatory but from everything I've seen on cruise ships all Brits are typically like that.

People who suggest that others go elsewhere on formal nights really have't read what Princess deems as acceptable dress. It isn't strictly a suit & tie or a gown for the ladies any longer. They've relaxed their dress code many years ago although many people still quote only what they see posted at the door to the restaurant.

Enjoy your formal nights in any fashion you choose.

This is the dress code from the clothing recommendations:

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

To be honest, not my scene. But I do enjoy to watch people getting all dressed up. I just try to make myself less visible, since I am typically in shorts/shirt/sandals, and would rather not ruin people's time and be "that guy" walking around Piazza while everyone is all dressed up.

Few times I did join formal night dinner, but honestly, I couldn't bring myself to wearing a tux. Just a nice button shirt, pants and shoes. Also, since I am not willing to bring my suit/tie with me on a cruise (too much scuba crap in my suitcase), I also do not barge into dining rooms with "I will wear what I want and you will have to tolerate me" attitude. We are fine with doing buffet or room service on these nights.

Come to think of it, I never actually wore a tux in my life....

This is the dress code from the clothing recommendations:

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

This is from the What to Pack section:

For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse.

DH and I love to dress up. He has both a white dinner jacket and the black tux jacket and those things are bloody heavy. Oh man, the shoes I have had to jettison from our luggage due to the weight of the jackets. LOL :D:D:D

jwattle,

You guys are going to love your cruise on the Rowboat. Formal night is a big thing on the Rowboat.

I love wearing my tux!! Billy Chrystal once said it's better to look good then feel good. :D :D

The Captain of the Rowboat,

Tony

Tony,

For our Rowboat Cruise, I'll be packing our "formal oars"; they have Swarovski crystals embedded throughout, for that extra bling effect in the moonlight. :D