The virtues of formal nights & why we like them

keithm

In the spirit of what the OP requested for this thread to be about.... We enjoy formal nights. My dh wears a tux and I wear either a long gown or mostly a cocktail dress. On our cruises we have seen most people dressing up nicely (even if they are not actually formal). I usually bring two dresses with me and have no trouble packing them. We each bring a large suitcase and each a roll aboard (21 or 22"). We have plenty of space for these items for our long cruises.

Our experience has been that most people dress up (even if not technically formal).

This is from the What to Pack section:

For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse.

There you go. ;) Even what guys wear on casual nights in the DR will work on formal evenings. Most people only read the first part and stop right there failing to read what Princess now allows as minimum dress in the DR's on formal night. Hence all the arguments.

I'ts true that some people will stretch the allowance even further but that's few & far between.

I suppose this is why Princess has maintained their dress code as is & not relaxed it any further like Celebrity, NCL, HCL and RCI.

I would not be unhappy to see them do away with formal night and go to country club casual type of dress every night.

But what I would really like to see is to have a dress code in the MDR that is clearly communicated and consistently enforced throughout. If they say no shorts, baseball caps, tank tops, etc. then the maître d's should enforce it.

I would not be unhappy to see them do away with formal night and go to country club casual type of dress every night.

But what I would really like to see is to have a dress code in the MDR that is clearly communicated and consistently enforced throughout. If they say no shorts, baseball caps, tank tops, etc. then the maître d's should enforce it.

That was not enforced in Feb on the Caribbean Princess at all. There must have been 25 to 30 people wearing shorts each casual evening. Not many baseball caps. Just a nice & relaxed atmosphere for vacation.

I love formal nights....for everyone else but myself. It provides me entertainment to see people dressed up not realizing that it not a requirement but if they enjoy dressing up, then why not?

Cruise long enough & the novelty wears off quickly. The whole formal routine on Princess will be gone shortly so the formalists should enjoy it while it lasts. It's the last mass market cruise line that hasn't officially eliminated them.

Maybe or maybe not. On our most resent cruise on the Regal over New Years, people were dressed better than I have seen on a cruise in years. Maybe it was because it was New Years cruise not sure. The couples cruising with us made the same comment. We were talking with our waiter about it. He said they are starting to see a return to dressing up more, not just on formal nights but on other nights also. Princess may decide to keep their formal night for the reason you are saying they will get rid of them. Just as you say they are the only mass market line still doing them. We have been cruising since 1985, #38 coming up in July on the Crown. Flying to London for a 21 day cruise. We will have 5 formal nights out of our 21 days can't wait. My DH will wear dark suit, I will wear different cocktail outfits. Not being critical of others choices but as I witness how many people are still willing to dress up not sure princess will do away with it all together. Considering how many people line up to get their pictures made on formal night, it must be a money maker for Princess. If that is the case they will keep it around awhile longer in MHO. We used to do a lot of HAL cruises also. We have not booked HAL since they did away with formal night. I know others who feel the same way. For us formal night is one of our favorite things about cruising.

Maybe or maybe not. On our most resent cruise on the Regal over New Years, people were dressed better than I have seen on a cruise in years. Maybe it was because it was New Years cruise not sure. The couples cruising with us made the same comment. We were talking with our waiter about it. He said they are starting to see a return to dressing up more, not just on formal nights but on other nights also. Princess may decide to keep their formal night for the reason you are saying they will get rid of them. Just as you say they are the only mass market line still doing them. We have been cruising since 1985, #38 coming up in July on the Crown. Flying to London for a 21 day cruise. We will have 5 formal nights out of our 21 days can't wait. My DH will wear dark suit, I will wear different cocktail outfits. Not being critical of others choices but as I witness how many people are still willing to dress up not sure princess will do away with it all together. Considering how many people line up to get their pictures made on formal night, it must be a money maker for Princess. If that is the case they will keep it around awhile longer in MHO. We used to do a lot of HAL cruises also. We have not booked HAL since they did away with formal night. I know others who feel the same way. For us formal night is one of our favorite things about cruising.

You hit on it when you said it's a money maker. Other than that I'm sure they would just follow the rest of the cruise lines but if they're known as being flexible they can get the best of both sides.

To be honest, not my scene. But I do enjoy to watch people getting all dressed up. I just try to make myself less visible, since I am typically in shorts/shirt/sandals, and would rather not ruin people's time and be "that guy" walking around Piazza while everyone is all dressed up.

Come to think of it, I never actually wore a tux in my life....

I'm right there with Meanee on this one, and I admire his not insisting on swimming upstream on formal nights. I enjoy seeing folks who DO enjoy getting gussied up out enjoying themselves in the MDR and wouldn't think of trying to go in "casual" those evenings. In fact, I've felt a bit out of place once or twice wearing nice slacks, an ironed shirt and a tie when being seated at a table with everyone in suits and evening gowns, but I'm over that. ;)

People shouldn't be a distraction on formal nights, so if we don't want to play we eat someplace other than the MDR. It's only fair.

I've only worn a tuxedo once in my life, too. It was a work event, and that one time was quite enough.

I still love the formal nights and was really sad to see them go on Celebrity.

The evening just feels more special when everyone is dressed up.

I love seeing my husband in his tux.

However, my VERY favorite part is seeing men in dress military uniforms and in kilts.

I know both are very heavy to pack and so don't expect to see them any more on Celebrity so I am extremely grateful to Princess for keeping them!

I love formal nights....for everyone else but myself. It provides me entertainment to see people dressed up not realizing that it not a requirement but if they enjoy dressing up, then why not?

Cruise long enough & the novelty wears off quickly. The whole formal routine on Princess will be gone shortly so the formalists should enjoy it while it lasts. It's the last mass market cruise line that hasn't officially eliminated them.

Did I miss a Princess press release?

It's comments such as this that cause all the arguments.

As long as Princess allows people to eat in their DR dressed neatly, no one should be taking it upon themselves to be the dress police. True formal dress is not an absolute requirement.

You should re-read Princess's guidelines about examples on to dress dressing on formal nights and you might change your mind.

I read them - did you?

There you go. ;) Even what guys wear on casual nights in the DR will work on formal evenings. Most people only read the first part and stop right there failing to read what Princess now allows as minimum dress in the DR's on formal night. Hence all the arguments.

I'ts true that some people will stretch the allowance even further but that's few & far between.

I suppose this is why Princess has maintained their dress code as is & not relaxed it any further like Celebrity, NCL, HCL and RCI.

Read post 47

I suggest you take the charcoal business suit and leave the tan sport coat at home. One suit will suffice for even a couple (or more) formal nights. Maybe wear a different coloured tie or even a coloured shirt if you prefer.:)

True. The shirts can really "stretch" the amount of time you can wear a tux/suit. Same with different tux/suit vests, which I used.

Stretched it out nicely. I'd love to see some of the outfits many of my fellow pax have worn. Please feel free to submit any you may have.

Edited by keithm
additions & spelling

To be honest, not my scene. But I do enjoy to watch people getting all dressed up. I just try to make myself less visible, since I am typically in shorts/shirt/sandals, and would rather not ruin people's time and be "that guy" walking around Piazza while everyone is all dressed up.

The formal dress code only applies to the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues.

This fall will be our first Princess Cruise and we are looking forward to dressing up for formal night. For us it is partly for our enjoyment (although my husband will also enjoy changing back into more comfortable clothes after dinner), but also because we want to respect our host.

We enjoy MDR for most of our meals on past cruises (Carnival, RCCL, and NCL) both for the overall atmosphere and service and also for help with portion control. It makes me sad when I see posts telling other cruisers to go to the buffet or specialty dining if they don't want to dress up. There are many who are uncomfortable with buffets due to dietary issues or other health concerns, and some may not want to spend the extra for a specialty venue - which generally request a level of dress equal to the minimum for MDR formal.

Not everyone can reasonably afford tuxes/gowns, but I think most cruisers can fit an extra nice outfit or accessories to make their formal night a special experience.

Changing back into more casual after dinner is fine. Please understand, I'm not saying everyone needs to be wearing a tux or heavy suit. Basically, a nice shirt/pants/shoes will be acceptable. Personally, I've seen some pax with a nice shirt & tie & yes, it does work. If some pax want to ignore the dress codes, that's their decision. They should also be aware that in some instance's, they could get refused entry. It does happen & I've seen it happen. I basically say, dress how you would go to a nice dinner & perhaps a show.

I have a problem with this way of thinking. We chose a cruise for so much more than if they have formal night. We both pay for our cruise ticket which includes being served in the MDR. I am not really the dress up kind of person but you feel that I should go to a buffet(which I am not a fan of) and serve myself or pay more money. How would you feel if they instead offered the Formal Experience for extra fee. Heck maybe they do it in Speciality Restaurant and couple it salon service for total experience. In my mind it is the same thing. That being said I will wear a dress on formal night and Hubby will wear a suit as way of paying price for eating in MDR.

Yes, perhaps I could have worded that differently. Actually, I have to say the Horizon buffet did have more variety than the MDR. Please remember when I say Formal dress, I'm talking a nice shirt preferably with a sport/suit coat & a tie(if you wish)nice slacks. Not going to argue the "jeans" thing. I've seen those in jeans sport coat & tie that were real killer & those who well, it just didn't work.

It's comments such as this that cause all the arguments.

As long as Princess allows people to eat in their DR dressed neatly, no one should be taking it upon themselves to be the dress police. True formal dress is not an absolute requirement.

You should re-read Princess's guidelines about examples on to dress dressing on formal nights and you might change your mind.

It's their stupid contradicting themselves that's so annoying. I go by the post in the daily patter, rather than that "faq" sheet. Typical nice pants/nice shirt(long or short sleeve)/sport coat(tie optional) is fine. Sorry, but I do kind of feel that is the best solution. Those who want to go more casual can, but could get refused entry. It's rare, but we both know it can happen.

Any suggestions for "formal night" alternatives for men? DH has stopped taking a suit and now simply uses black slacks with white shirt and tie. I'm thinking maybe a white or ivory silk mock turtle-neck or banded collar shirt.

What you suggest is fine. A turtle neck & sport coat can really work well as well. Just be sure to find one that is thin or (by my own experience)he'll roast!

Few times I did join formal night dinner, but honestly, I couldn't bring myself to wearing a tux. Just a nice button shirt, pants and shoes. Also, since I am not willing to bring my suit/tie with me on a cruise (too much scuba crap in my suitcase), I also do not barge into dining rooms with "I will wear what I want and you will have to tolerate me" attitude. We are fine with doing buffet or room service on these nights.

Come to think of it, I never actually wore a tux in my life....

A tux is NOT necessary. Button shirt/slacks & shoes will, in most cases get you in. A sport coat will add to the flavor. Shorts are NOT acceptable at night in the MDR, unfortunately. Most lines still adhere to that.

I read them - did you?

I do have to agree with Floridalover on this: There is a "FAQS" sheet that contradicts the patter's dress code. Crazy, but I think 2 people composed this.. I go by the patter's definition. I just wish Princess would clear up this mess. Floridalover is correct on the 2 differing definitions.

I love this thread- thanks for starting it........

My wife and I have enjoy formal nights since our first cruise in our early 20's (Her) and 30's (I).

By now, we know what we look like, so it's more about the elegant atmosphere it creates than for us personally.

In a way, it makes us feel humanity can be dignified, sophisticated and worthy of admiration in a time where it seems to be regressing.

Looking at old photographs from the 20's - 30's and earlier, it's fascinating to see how even common people dressed in the cities just to take a stroll. They weren't all rich, but still managed to show class and pride in themselves thru a polished image.

Many may call the erosion of these standards "Progress" or freedom, but we disagree.

My wife and I love to dress on formal nights. We are retired, and the only time we get to dress up is on a cruise. I wear a suit or sport jacket, and she'll wear a long gown. That's also we don't mind taking pics, and usually buy at least one.

I still love the formal nights and was really sad to see them go on Celebrity.

The evening just feels more special when everyone is dressed up.

I love seeing my husband in his tux.

However, my VERY favorite part is seeing men in dress military uniforms and in kilts.

I know both are very heavy to pack and so don't expect to see them any more on Celebrity so I am extremely grateful to Princess for keeping them!

I have to say on our Jan.22 14 day Eclipse cruise, pax started the "Chic" nights off slowly, but by the third one, there were more tuxes than I've ever seen on Celebrity. Perhaps the only time we really felt under dressed, even in our suits.