Pacific Jewel

Hi, everyone!

Has anyone else noticed how tired the Pacific Jewel has started feeling in recent years? I have sailed on the Pacific Jewel five times in total since 2010 and have noticed that carpet has become very discolored and has a terrible odour; there are dings and marks along walls and posts; timber is lacking varnish; cutlery, mugs/cups and dinnerware is scratched and badly stained; and elevators are extremely unreliable in often being faulty.

The Pacific Dawn has recently experienced an extensive renovation and the Pacific Explorer is soon to join the fleet, so that leaves me wondering if perhaps the Pacific Jewel is going to be leaving P&O Australia sometime in the near future.

Despite these faults, I have thoroughly enjoyed my trips on the Pacific Jewel and always try to make the most of all my cruises.

I look forward to reading any replies of your opinion of the standard and feeling of the Pacific Jewel! :)

Yes I've been on her 5 times since Feb 2015. After my first cruise they installed the Pantry before the next time I sailed so she must have had some sort of refit mid 2015.

I agree she is looking very tired with mismatched curtains and various colours of carpet in different cabins. As for the Atrium - the chairs there have different seat coverings to the backs and it looks like a demolition yard. Such a pity, they seem to be doing running repairs on her as they go.

The theatre was being renovated on my New Years trip with extra rows of seats clogging up the area. It looked like they had expanded the stage but had nowhere to put the seats they removed.

I wonder when she is due for a make over? She is scheduled to home port Melbourne again during the 2018-2019 season so looks like she will be around a little while. On July 8th it will be 27 years since her maiden voyage so she is no spring chicken.

I do like her with a feeling of spaciousness and logically laid out. :)

Yes I've been on her 5 times since Feb 2015. After my first cruise they installed the Pantry before the next time I sailed so she must have had some sort of refit mid 2015.

I agree she is looking very tired with mismatched curtains and various colours of carpet in different cabins. As for the Atrium - the chairs there have different seat coverings to the backs and it looks like a demolition yard. Such a pity, they seem to be doing running repairs on her as they go.

The theatre was being renovated on my New Years trip with extra rows of seats clogging up the area. It looked like they had expanded the stage but had nowhere to put the seats they removed.

I wonder when she is due for a make over? She is scheduled to home port Melbourne again during the 2018-2019 season so looks like she will be around a little while. On July 8th it will be 27 years since her maiden voyage so she is no spring chicken.

I do like her with a feeling of spaciousness and logically laid out. :)

I definitely agree with you, since she was constructed for Princess Cruises, her layout and base design is very comfortable and spaceious. If only they gave her a big makeover like they did with the Pacific Dawn recently.

• 4 weeks later...

There will be one 3 point Australian socket (220-240V) in the cabin usually over the desk.

There is a 110v socket alongside plus I think there was another 110V in the bathroom. Not sure if these are American or European sockets. You would need transformers or adapters to use the 110V sockets.

I believe you can use a power board but it must not have a surge control on it. The hair dryer is hard wired so there is not problem with that.

Cheers :)

We are travelling in a mini suite and our E tickets don't state a disembarkation time. If the ship gets in at 7 am, what time would we be expected to get off the ship? We would rather be on until a little later (9 am??).

I usually takes awhile for the ship to get the paperwork cleared after docking. You will be given a disembarking time the night before you get in and you can go to reception to change it if it is not suitable. Perhaps a mini-suite may be different.

I am sure you can stay as long as you want if necessary but the main reason for times (I think) is that they put your luggage off in batches and so if you get off too early then your luggage won't be there and if you get off later then your luggage will be waiting all on its own for you to turn up.

P&O introduced a check out time on "Cruise Control" where you can state early or late check out. Not sure when you are travelling so maybe this option has not popped up yet. :)

I usually arrange pickup with my family for around 10.30 if we are docking at 7.00. I like to take things easy and have breakfast before I leave. Let all those people who are taking flights and travelling a long way get off early. I am never in a hurry.

Like I said you can always go to reception the night before and change the time they give you if it doesn't suit you. You can phone home or wherever when you are coming into port to make a final time.

Enjoy your cruise. :)