Can I block by kids from Spending?

Derckert82

Since the last thread on this topic got a bit off topic and was locked I just wanted to take a moment to answer the question of : Can I block my kids cards for spending ?

Yes you can, it's very easy when you sign in and they take your credit card just tell them you need to block spending for some of the people in your room. They will go and grab another form and you just list who needs to be blocked and they take care of it.

We block everyone except for my husband and my self, this includes our teens. If for any reason they want to buy something they can come find us plus we get the latitudes percentage off at the gift shop and they don't.

There is no age limit for blocking, we have also blocked a adult family member that has traveled with us but due to a disability can't manage funds, we make sure that he had a soda card and there was nothing else he really needed to buy. And on our last cruise one college son had his card on the room and blocked all the other cards for that room from spending.

Plus side there really is nothing that a kid needs money for on ship, if they bug about playing video games both the teen program and the youth program have gaming systems in their respective areas. With the teens having more open time to play while the youth have set times.

Enjoy your vacation :)

Just wanted to add that one time my husband did place so much cash on each kids card, but most of it was still there at the end so we stopped and just block the cards totally. We also prepay all our DSC not sure if that makes a difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info.

We have a cruise coming up in April and are trying to figure out how to allocate funds to our 2 boys. We want them to be able to manage their own allocations. If I read your original post correctly, we should be able to put the kids on separate cash accounts, correct? We have already prepaid our gratuities and are thinking of prepaying for OBC as well (then we won't need to bring so much cash). If we prepay for OBC, is it treated like a cash account giving us the option to separate the kids off on separate accounts?

Thanks for the info.

We have a cruise coming up in April and are trying to figure out how to allocate funds to our 2 boys. We want them to be able to manage their own allocations. If I read your original post correctly, we should be able to put the kids on separate cash accounts, correct? We have already prepaid our gratuities and are thinking of prepaying for OBC as well (then we won't need to bring so much cash). If we prepay for OBC, is it treated like a cash account giving us the option to separate the kids off on separate accounts?

Yes, as long as the DSC is prepaid, you can do it exactly as you've described.

When you check-in they will give you a form to sign asking who can charge to the credit card you are using, don't name any children. Later if you want to put a sum of cash on their cards do it at the Guest Services Desk.

I understand if a child was under 10yrs old to block there card. I would not do it after that unless they are not trustworthy.

My son is going to be 15 this week I have never had a problem with him he asks what his limit is and he sticks to it.

Plus I don't want him to feel like he needs to beg for everything on the ship he is also on vacation.

I do not see many of the friends he meets on the ships having to run to their parents for everything either.

I simply give him the soda card now and tell him how much he has to spend and there are no problems.

I imagine for teens it depends on the responsibity and attentiveness level of the kid in question. Some might not realize how much money they're spending at the arcade, say, because they design things so that it's visibly posted by not always "in your face." In the excitement even a good kid could get carried away without realizing it, but like I said, totally depends on the kid.

When you check-in they will give you a form to sign asking who can charge to the credit card you are using, don't name any children. Later if you want to put a sum of cash on their cards do it at the Guest Services Desk.
But if I dont give them charging privleges how can they use their cards? And can each boy have their own account?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Forums mobile app

But if I dont give them charging privleges how can they use their cards? And can each boy have their own account?

Yes, they can each have their own account. And the post you quoted answers your question as to how they can use their cards.