Bottled water on QM2?

scdreamer

WARNING: You probably will not get seasick on an airplane. On the QM2 you will be at sea in the open North Atlantic (known for waves) for 7 days. The North Atlantic is especially rough in winter. Unless you have cruised before you may not know if you will get seasick. Being seasick for seven days would not be my idea of a fun vacation.

FYI, I assume you have considered the cost of getting to the port of embarkation from your home and from the port of debarkation to where you are traveling to in Europe.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get seasick at some point - I got motion sickness every time I flew in an airplane up until the age of 18 (and I flew a lot!). I get carsick if I sit in the back seat, and I've gotten seasick sitting in a rowboat on a flat Lake Michigan. I think that is what has stopped me from taking a crossing before now, but I will plan on visiting my doctor before I go, to get something to help (like a patch, or some other medication). I will also be traveling with ginger candy.

Airfares to New York, and home from Hamburg have been paid for using frequent flier miles.

Yeah, I'll have the expense of buying some evening gowns, but I'm looking forward to shopping for them.

If you think you might get seasick there are room recommendations that are all over the site that you should really consider:

book a cabin as low as possible and in the center (from bow to stern) of the ship as possible within the category (eg, inside, ocean-view, balcony) you want.

It is simple physics that the lower you are and closer to the center of mass of the ship there is less rocking and rolling.

Personally I do better when I am in a place with a view and can get fresh air.

I think you are brave, if I had experiences as you describe I would not set foot on a cruise.

LB_NJ is giving you some questionable advice.

QM2 is a liner. I have crossed the Atlantic more than half a dozen times on QM2 and I can assure you, regardless of the time of year, you will hardly notice any movement. Very few people get sea sick on board. There will be ginger available in the restaurant if you ask and some people believe it stops mal de mer.

You can bring on board as much wines and spirits as you can carry. We always bring at least 6 bottles of champagne (sometimes more).

We don't need to bring spirits as we always travel QG and they are included.

Drinking your own wine in public areas attracts a $20 corkage charge, although on a few occasions they have waived this charge.

I guarantee you'll have a ball and be back in the not too distant future.

Stewart

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get seasick at some point - I got motion sickness every time I flew in an airplane up until the age of 18 (and I flew a lot!). I get carsick if I sit in the back seat, and I've gotten seasick sitting in a rowboat on a flat Lake Michigan. I think that is what has stopped me from taking a crossing before now, but I will plan on visiting my doctor before I go, to get something to help (like a patch, or some other medication). I will also be traveling with ginger candy.

Airfares to New York, and home from Hamburg have been paid for using frequent flier miles.

Yeah, I'll have the expense of buying some evening gowns, but I'm looking forward to shopping for them.

I don't want to discourage anybody from taking a cruise on Cunard, but if you get car sick I urge you to reconsider. Whenever the topic of seasickness comes up you will always get advice like: Stay focused on the horizon, chew some ginger sweets, and while this may work for some, for sickness which confines the sufferer to bed there is medication available at the Pursers' Desk, and for more serious cases an injection at the Medical Station.

I love the movement of the QM2, and each voyage I have taken has had some interesting times with the high waves crashing against the windows and sometimes the deck closed.

My daughter and her husband were on a Winter Voyage, 2011 and she was not well at all, her husband wasn't adversely affected and enjoyed a day or two roaming around the QM2 that was reminiscent of the Marie Celeste. The nurses confirmed that there were many staff affected. It was an extreme case. To see a video of this voyage, you can Google it, Raw Footage of QM2 in Stormy Weather. I don't want to be alarmist, as the QM2 can handle this, but you can decide for yourself with full information.

This is from the US passage contract with Cunard (on their website) regarding alcohol:

"Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage."

I assume many passengers ignore this on a regular basis, I also assume that Cunard does not enforce this all the time. However, this is Cunard's policy.

Also, FYI from the Cunard website the below explains how they minimize (not eliminate) movement:

Stabilisers: Queen Mary 2 has four ‘VM Series’ folding fin stabilisers built by Brown Brothers of Edinburgh, Scotland. They are a one-piece, passive-type design (which means they don’t have flaps) and when combined reduce the ship’s roll by 90%.

Each stabiliser:  weighs approximately 70 tons is 8.2 feet wide

extends beyond the ship’s side by 20.5 feet 

has a surface area of 168 square feet

provides 1070 kN lift

takes approximately 30 seconds to extend or house

This is from the US passage contract with Cunard (on their website) regarding alcohol:

"Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage."

I assume many passengers ignore this on a regular basis, I also assume that Cunard does not enforce this all the time. However, this is Cunard's policy. ...

That's correct on both counts concerning how the alcohol policy is stated in the US passage contract but not enforced by Cunard. However, that alcohol policy is not included in any of Cunard's UK documents that I can find. As near as I can tell, the closest thing to a passage contract available on Cunard's UK web site is an 18-page "Booking Conditions" document which makes no mention of an alcohol policy at all. Now there could be some UK document I don't know about that mentions a limit of one bottle of wine or champagne per passenger. If so, I will gladly stand corrected concerning what is communicated to UK customers about the alcohol policy.

Also, here is how the policy is currently worded in the Cunard UK FAQ. In the past, a limit of one bottle per passenger was mentioned there, but no longer.

"You may bring wine or champagne on board (over the age of 21) to celebrate special occasions. However if it is consumed in any of the dining rooms, alternative restaurants or bars then each bottle will be subject to a corkage fee of $20 (fee subject to change). ..."

Regards, John

That's correct on both counts concerning how the alcohol policy is stated in the US passage contract but not enforced by Cunard. However, that alcohol policy is not included in any of Cunard's UK documents that I can find. As near as I can tell, the closest thing to a passage contract available on Cunard's UK web site is an 18-page "Booking Conditions" document which makes no mention of an alcohol policy at all. Now there could be some UK document I don't know about that mentions a limit of one bottle of wine or champagne per passenger. If so, I will gladly stand corrected concerning what is communicated to UK customers about the alcohol policy.

Also, here is how the policy is currently worded in the Cunard UK FAQ. In the past, a limit of one bottle per passenger was mentioned there, but no longer.

"You may bring wine or champagne on board (over the age of 21) to celebrate special occasions. However if it is consumed in any of the dining rooms, alternative restaurants or bars then each bottle will be subject to a corkage fee of $20 (fee subject to change). ..."

Regards, John

Wasn't suggesting the contract applied to you. It does however probably apply to US resident citizens boarding in the US. Not sure who else it applies to.

Multiple different contracts may apply to different people on the same ship, it might also depend on where they board. I haven't been able to even see the Cunard UK website recently since it appears Cunard cut off access to it from the US. The UK website used to have a lot more information than the US website.

I am sure you will be ok think positive and you will be fine. Just enjoy, most ladies look good in their gowns.😆😀

Had not noticed it before but the US passage contract that Carnival posts on the US website is a little different than the one they make you agree to when logging in through the Voyage Personaliser.

Not sure what this would mean if it ever ended up in a US court or in arbitration.

I'm not a great traveller, my very first post on Cruise Critic was about seasickness remedies ! One thing I would recommend is to try them on dry land first, one of the OTC ones made me feel very peculiar. I use Avomine if there is the slightest hint of bumpy seas.

Have a great time

• 11 months later...

Does anyone know if it is still okay to bring bottled water onboard? My sister and I drink a lot of it, and she has some stomach sensitivities to tap and certain bottled water.

A lot of the other cruise lines have gone to not allowing you to bring any bottled water or soft drinks onboard, so I'm hoping Cunard hasn't done so.

Thanks!

On 3/12/2018 at 2:00 PM, BigMac1953 said:

LB_NJ is giving you some questionable advice.

QM2 is a liner. I have crossed the Atlantic more than half a dozen times on QM2 and I can assure you, regardless of the time of year, you will hardly notice any movement. Very few people get sea sick on board. There will be ginger available in the restaurant if you ask and some people believe it stops mal de mer.

You can bring on board as much wines and spirits as you can carry. We always bring at least 6 bottles of champagne (sometimes more).

We don't need to bring spirits as we always travel QG and they are included.

Drinking your own wine in public areas attracts a $20 corkage charge, although on a few occasions they have waived this charge.

I guarantee you'll have a ball and be back in the not too distant future.

Stewart

and i have been on-board going from NYC to the carib........one day it was a challenge to walk past the spa canyon in a straight line,one could surf the rear pool and that night you were moving in bed................TO-DAYS SAFETY TIP........IT IS A SHIP IN A MOVING OCEAN....IT MOVES ...YOU MAY FEEL IT ....DEPENDING ON SEA CONDITIONS 

2 hours ago, newjoisey said:

and i have been on-board going from NYC to the carib........one day it was a challenge to walk past the spa canyon in a straight line,one could surf the rear pool and that night you were moving in bed................TO-DAYS SAFETY TIP........IT IS A SHIP IN A MOVING OCEAN....IT MOVES ...YOU MAY FEEL IT ....DEPENDING ON SEA CONDITIONS 

I agree, we had cheese carts rolling about sailing from the Caribbean to New York, there was a lot more movement than crossing the Atlantic.

On 3/12/2019 at 8:59 PM, hbgroadends said:

Does anyone know if it is still okay to bring bottled water onboard? My sister and I drink a lot of it, and she has some stomach sensitivities to tap and certain bottled water.

A lot of the other cruise lines have gone to not allowing you to bring any bottled water or soft drinks onboard, so I'm hoping Cunard hasn't done so.

Thanks!

Yes, as others have said,  you'll have no problem with bottled water , nor will you have any problems with a reasonable amount of wine or spirt . I've said this sooooo many times before on this board,  "This is the beauty of Cunard !   who treat their customers/guests like responsible adults". 

Unlike 'my experience on HAL',  who took away the 'remainder' of an,  already opened 500ml  bottle of water  that I had previously  purchased in the 'Cruise Terminal',  while waiting for a delayed embarkation.    

Thanks, everyone! It's nice knowing you can bring your own water still on Cunard. I've gotten rather annoyed with some of these lines that insist you have to buy everything on the ship at ridiculous prices. I'll definitely be making a stop for water before getting onboard.