Easy Solution for Expiration Dates on Coffee Cards

chamima

When the day comes that I'm about to leave the ship, standing in line with my card that has many punches remaining I'll just announce to the crowd....."FREE COFFEE" for the next 10 people. :D

No use in letting Princess benefit by letting them expire. :evilsmile:

You would have many happy coffee drinkers!!

And that is where a lot of the confusion is coming in. How can you print on the card that it expires on 12/31/18 and then try to claim that part of it expires at the end of the cruise but the other part expires on the printed date? Unless wording to that effect is added' date=' it makes no sense. As printed, one could claim that the entire card expires on the printed date. It won't affect me, but I can see why people are upset.[/quote']

We have a New Year's cruise booked for this year. Starts in Dec. 2018 and ends in January 2019.

It'll be interesting to see what they do for coffee cards on this cruise!:p;p:eek::hot-beverage:

We have a New Year's cruise booked for this year. Starts in Dec. 2018 and ends in January 2019.

It'll be interesting to see what they do for coffee cards on this cruise!:p;p:eek::hot-beverage:

The first reports of an expiration date on these forums had the date being 6/30/18.

So I suspect that by mid-year the expiration date on new cards will be changed to 6/30/19.

Without writing a lengthy formula showing the coffee card is not worth buying for most cruisers, I'll just say pay as you go. In many cases you will not spend as much as you would if you bought the card. Back in the day you could get BOGO cards for $25 it was a deal but today not so much. Cards help them speed up the line and save on bookkeeping costs, your saving is very little and now with an expiration date you can lose on the transaction.

Winning move just have them swipe you CC when you want a coffee.

I have not bought a coffee card on my last two cruises.

framer

No, they meant exactly what is says. The cards are useless after the expiration date.

It sad to see Princess deteriorating before my eyes. I'd rather see a slight increase in their cruise rates then have them chip away at our benefits.

Wanna bet?

I do not believe that anyone has posted saying that they were unable to use a punch on any card for a speciality coffee drink. Until that happens I personally would not assume that the cards are useless after the expiration date.

Perhaps we should wait until someone is actually unable to use their card.

Wanna bet?

I do not believe that anyone has posted saying that they were unable to use a punch on any card for a speciality coffee drink. Until that happens I personally would not assume that the cards are useless after the expiration date.

Perhaps we should wait until someone is actually unable to use their card.

I think you're confusing using a card's punches obtained on a previous cruise for coffee on a subsequent trip with cards now issued with an expiration date on the back. As long as it's before the expiration date they'll accept it.

All I can say is that is what was told to me by the food & beverage manager last week on the Royal. I sent her a letter detailing my displeasure about the change. Her reply was that I could return the cards & apply a $20 each towards Princess wine OR exchange them back for our setup.

She also said that there were no more cards in their stock without the expiration date on the back and she would have given me two if she had them.

And yes FWIW- she she also said that the cards would be useless after the expiration date. :(

I wonder if it is allowed to post on your roll call that you are willing to sell a card to one of the other members that is interested for like $10. It's a good deal for anyone that likes coffee and anyone that has extra unused cards, right??

As long as you do it without being in view of anyone from Princess. I would think they would frown upon an official gathering for any exchanges.

Not allowed.....no solicitation on CC

But it has been done on 2 of my roll calls, 2 years ago...have not seen it since, concerns were sent to moderators.

I think you're confusing using a card's punches obtained on a previous cruise for coffee on a subsequent trip with cards now issued with an expiration date on the back. As long as it's before the expiration date they'll accept it.

All I can say is that is what was told to me by the food & beverage manager last week on the Royal. I sent her a letter detailing my displeasure about the change. Her reply was that I could return the cards & apply a $20 each towards Princess wine OR exchange them back for our setup.

She also said that there were no more cards in their stock without the expiration date on the back and she would have given me two if she had them.

And yes FWIW- she she also said that the cards would be useless after the expiration date. :(

So these cards you, received by exchange...She is giving you the option to exchange them back, I think that is fair. As elite or in a suite we have the option to exchange our mini bar, for 2 coffee cards, it never said no exp. or that they would not put the ship and voyage number.

Years ago...we could exchange the mini for a bottle of liquor & mixers....heck I'd love to have that back....but things change...I am happy for a few perks just sayin.'

Edited by land lover

My guess is thst the new ecpiry of Dec 31 2018 points to Princess changing the coffee card program.

If Princess can load the PBP onto one's cruise card, surely they are able to load coffee. Then it truly would be for the current sailing.

Since 15 foo-foo coffees may be too much for some to drink one cruise ... maybe a $12 coffee pkg for 5 specialty coffees, and get rid of the 15-pkg completely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

Sound plausible to me......I do think the cards will come to an end...

Sound plausible to me......I do think the cards will come to an end...

Most likely that will happen when the ***** is in full swing on all the ships.

Talking to one of the barista's, he told me that they were instructed that the punches would be on the computer screen....someday.

How they would incorporate the older coffee cards into the system is still a mystery.

Perhaps punching cards along with checking off in the computer I suspect?

This move to limit the life of the coffee cards will eliminate punching even faster when the ***** finally is in place.

Thread is too funny. People worried and complaining about a $2.33 cappuccino while likely willing to fork over $7 for one at Starbucks. Get a life. You spend $thousands for the cruise and whine about "losing" $2.33! The easy solution is to make sure you use all the punches before the end of the cruise. The very easiest solution is to pay for each cup with he CC each time you buy. Or, don't cruise.

Thread is too funny. People worried and complaining about a $2.33 cappuccino while likely willing to fork over $7 for one at Starbucks. Get a life. You spend $thousands for the cruise and whine about "losing" $2.33! The easy solution is to make sure you use all the punches before the end of the cruise. The very easiest solution is to pay for each cup with he CC each time you buy. Or, don't cruise.

I've never been inside a Starbucks in my life & don't intend to in the future either.

Nope. The easiest solution is for Princess to continue to honor the old coffee cards without expiration dates and to instruct the staff to inform passengers of the expiration date before selling passengers a new card. When we eventually run out of punches on the cards we have, DH can use his cruise card (or *****) to purchase his after-dinner cappuccinos. He wouldn't use up 15 punches unless we take a cruise with more nights than that.

Talking to one of the barista's, he told me that they were instructed that the punches would be on the computer screen....someday.

That would completely change the purpose and use of the coffee card. Currently, the punches can be used by anyone, not just the person who purchased the card. If restricted to the person that has it on the *****, it would mean that a couple could not share the punches unless the ***** of the purchaser was present when the other person wanted a specialty coffee.

Of course, this could mean Princess could sell twice as many cards so each person would have it on their *****. And that means even more unused punches that expire unused.

Then, you would probably want to bet. Easy to see why you would believe it is going to happen.

I still believe the punches will not expire and they were wrong.

The bottom line is that no one has been refused yet.

Perhaps when an expiration date comes due, a person will be refused. I have my doubts.

I buy a card for the fresh brewed coffee and a rare speciality coffee. If they made decent coffee I. The dining room and buffet, I wouldn’t need a card. I could drink the coffee and pay for a speciality.

I cruise often and have quite a collection of cards and have given them away.

I think they want to sell drink packages instead of coffee cards.

That would completely change the purpose and use of the coffee card. Currently, the punches can be used by anyone, not just the person who purchased the card. If restricted to the person that has it on the *****, it would mean that a couple could not share the punches unless the ***** of the purchaser was present when the other person wanted a specialty coffee.

Of course, this could mean Princess could sell twice as many cards so each person would have it on their *****. And that means even more unused punches that expire unused.

True, and do you really believe Princess cares? As you say, they'll sell more coffee cards they will also expire within the year making even more profit.

Look at the drink package- 15 drinks max now. If you don't hit the max number per day, they don't care, you had the opportunity. It's all about profit.

The object it to sell more coffee cards & have them go unused. It'll be years before the cruising public wises up to that little stamped date on the back that they fail to mention when selling them & by that time Princess will have made tens of thousands.

This is evident by all the other things they've been doing that are not so blatant like only serving only 3 pats of butter at the tables - even at the over 40 affair, & not giving people a straw unless asked for. (no more straws at the self service coffee counter in the Horizon). Of course you can have one, but only if you ask. They also don't keep them on the waiter's counter- only under the server where people can't just reach for them.

This reminds me of when I was working when we were required to submit a cost reduction each quarter, no mater how trivial.

As the years progressed it became harder & harder to come up with a meaningful suggestion. ;)

Then, you would probably want to bet. Easy to see why you would believe it is going to happen.

I still believe the punches will not expire and they were wrong.

The bottom line is that no one has been refused yet.

Perhaps when an expiration date comes due, a person will be refused. I have my doubts.

If we meet up on a cruise next year, I'll bet you a cup of coffee paid for by one of my card's that will be expiring at the middle of the year. :rolleyes:

Use them or lose them.