Happy Hour

Host CJSKIDS

So the BOGO is the only time that we have drinks, because they are to expensive otherwise. Now we will just not drink at all so lost revenue from us.

If you can get everyone on the ship(cruise line) to follow your example, you will see BOGO $1 return. But don’t bet on people following you. Sorry.

I thought the BOGO was great as I’m not a big drinker. But I disagree with this. BOGO was competing with their very profitable beverage plan. Now, even casual drinkers are more likely to get the all included drink package, whatever they are calling it now. I won’t ever get it because I will never drink that much a day, and for me it’s better to take the OBC, but I’m betting they see an increase in sales of the package now.

Always about the bottom dollar unfortunately.

We always buy the wine package, not the all you can drink package and we never will as we are not big drinkers. We also get a mini bar setup in our cabin because of our "elite" status. Maybe that's what's cutting into the profits, too many elites cruising and lots of mini bars to dole out. DH drinks the hard liquor stuff and I trade in the beers and club soda for diet Sprite Zero. We did go to Happy Hour every now and then, but frankly 3:00 pm is a bit too early for us to drink lots of wine. Such a good deal to pass up though.

We are currently on the Diamond Princess. We don’t miss the BOGO at all. The Wheelhouse Bar is now a quiet afternoon place to enjoy a glass of wine before dinner. No more waiting in line to get a couple of glasses of wine or drinks. No more jockeying for a place to sit. No more feeling like I have to join in the obligatory “where are you from” or “how many cruises.” Do, it might add $100 to $150 to the cost of the cruise. But, after $7000 plus, it isn’t really relevant. Think I might send Princess a letter too.

You can always find a table for two or get there early enough to rearrange the seats to where you don't run the risk of having to talk to anyone. DH and I enjoy meeting new people and having a chat with them for an hour. I don't feel obligated at all for anything. May as well not show up if you run the risk of talking to someone or being chatty.

Thanks for sharing the email address, Thrak. I just fired off an email to customer relations letting them know we're unhappy with this latest decision.

Jan

I just sen them an email as well. I gave them our two booking numbers letting them know that we are not happy with their decision to eliminate Happy Hour. I'll report back if I get an email from customer service.

Very sad to see BOGO for $1 go. The bars were packed when they operated it.:o

We will still buy a couple of pre dinner cocktails and a bottle of wine in the MDR for dinner, though. What's the point of not buying booze because of BOGO gone? You are on a cruise to enjoy yourself !!!

The only problem we had finding a seat was when they would hold HH in the same venue as the trivia that followed. Then the problem was finding a seat for trivia, not the HH per se, since many people hung out finishing their drinks even if HH was over and they weren't playing trivia.:(

The only problem we had finding a seat was when they would hold HH in the same venue as the trivia that followed. Then the problem was finding a seat for trivia, not the HH per se, since many people hung out finishing their drinks even if HH was over and they weren't playing trivia.:(

We did the 3PM BOGO, 4PM Trivia and 5PM PES cocktails almost every day with all four of us at the same table. I'm guessing there were many others like us which definitely made finding a seat for anyone that came at 4PM difficult. They did make an announcement at 5PM that anyone not PES had to go but never went around tossing anyone out.

Sad to see the BOGO GO. Normally would not start with cocktails at 3PM but it was fun. Trivia was fun too. (Although those on a B2B had a clear advantage) Then some light snacks at the PES and maybe one more cocktail to hold us over for the late TD dinner seating. It was a great way to end the day and start your evening. I'm guessing Princess is watching the numbers pretty close. How do the overall beverage sales compare from a BOGO cruise vs one without. If profits fall without BOGO they will likely bring it back.

Very sad to see BOGO for $1 go. The bars were packed when they operated it.:o

We will still buy a couple of pre dinner cocktails and a bottle of wine in the MDR for dinner, though. What's the point of not buying booze because of BOGO gone? You are on a cruise to enjoy yourself !!!

Exactly.....:D:D:D

Bob

Exactly.....:D:D:D

Bob

They may be doing me a favor, I was drinking at happy hr. & then going to Elite lounge for my Chairmans. Now both are gone & so am I. My kidneys are happier. What else is next, oh yeah, preferred boarding gone except just prior to checking in.

They may be doing me a favor, I was drinking at happy hr. & then going to Elite lounge for my Chairmans. Now both are gone & so am I. My kidneys are happier. What else is next, oh yeah, preferred boarding gone except just prior to checking in.

While preferred boarding may be gone, it appears that they now let everyone into the terminals in Fl as soon as they arrive. If they continue this procedure it may not be all bad since the long line waiting just to get in the door is gone.

Preferred boarding gone? Just what exactly is it as I've never heard of the term. Is this for Suites, Plat's & Elites?

Bob

Preferred boarding gone? Just what exactly is it as I've never heard of the term. Is this for Suites, Plat's & Elites?

Bob

Preferred boarding is not gone. The only thing that is different is when you arrive, instead of the previous long lines at Terminal 2 Ft Laud, there is no one in line, since they now open the doors earlier than previously. We usually arrive around 10:45-11:00, so unlike the previous long length-of-Terminal lines that used to exist before opening up the doors at 11:00, there was NO line at all, and then we proceeded first through security, which took maybe a total of 90 seconds, and from there we were directed to the appropriate priority elite, suite, plat lines. We checked in, were informed that boarding is just beginning and proceeded upstairs and straight onto the ship.

From arrival to the port until we were onboard and at the buffet was 15-20 mins.

Embarkation this past time was the fastest of all. Much prefer it to the old way where there were two lines outside the terminal prior to going through security, one preferred and one non-preferred.

Here's the response I got from the email I sent to Customer Relations. I'm sure it's the same canned response that everyone else got. No news at all

The Customer Relations Department is in receipt of your email. Thank you for contacting our office. We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

As our onboard events and offerings are always changing, Happy Hour is in the process of being phased out across the fleet while we develop new programs and promotions for your enjoyment.

Mrs xxxxxx, again, thank you for contacting our office. We look forward to welcoming you aboard Grand and Coral Princess for what we hope will be a completely enjoyable cruise vacation. Until then we send our kind regards.

Sincerely,

Princess Cruises

Customer Relations

I’m always amazed with people who prefer to pay more for exactly the same product. I sent my email complaining about the loss of BOGO+1$. They are really nice times on a cruise.

Well the HH we went to, people were buying 6 beers and taking 12 back to their cabin. They weren't staying the full HH. They did this everyday we were there. They requested that none of the bottles be opened. Hate to eat and run.....:evilsmile:

Here's the response we just received from Customer Relations regarding the discontinuation of Happy Hour.

Sorry to see it go.

Jan

Dear xxxx and xxxxxxx,

The Customer Relations Departmentis in receipt of your email. Thank you for contacting our office. We appreciatethe opportunity to respond.

As our onboard events and offerings are alwayschanging, Happy Hour is in the process of being phased out acrossthe fleet while we develop new programs and promotions for yourenjoyment.

xxxx and xxxxx, again, thank you forcontacting our office. We look forward to welcoming you onboard in thenear future. Until then we send our kind regards.

Sincerely,

Princess Cruises

Customer Relations

ad

Well the HH we went to, people were buying 6 beers and taking 12 back to their cabin. They weren't staying the full HH. They did this everyday we were there. They requested that none of the bottles be opened. Hate to eat and run.....:evilsmile:

So? Why is that a problem? Just wondering.

So? Why is that a problem? Just wondering.

Because it is a Happy Hour and not a time frame for buying your beer needs. On the Emerald they were required to open the beer during HH. The ship ran out of Grosch beer very early.

Because it is a Happy Hour and not a time frame for buying your beer needs. On the Emerald they were required to open the beer during HH. The ship ran out of Grosch beer very early.

<shrug> More room for the folks who want to sit and relax and enjoy their drinks.

I have seen them open the beers too. So maybe they could/should have done that to avoid people from doing that?

Now none of us get to enjoy Happy Hour.

<shrug> More room for the folks who want to sit and relax and enjoy their drinks.

I have seen them open the beers too. So maybe they could/should have done that to avoid people from doing that?

Now none of us get to enjoy Happy Hour.

Someone always wrecks a good thing for others. :evilsmile:

Here's the response I got from the email I sent to Customer Relations. I'm sure it's the same canned response that everyone else got. No news at all

The Customer Relations Department is in receipt of your email. Thank you for contacting our office. We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

As our onboard events and offerings are always changing, Happy Hour is in the process of being phased out across the fleet while we develop new programs and promotions for your enjoyment.

Mrs xxxxxx, again, thank you for contacting our office. We look forward to welcoming you aboard Grand and Coral Princess for what we hope will be a completely enjoyable cruise vacation. Until then we send our kind regards.

Sincerely,

Princess Cruises

Customer Relations

Normally I would expect the replacement program/promotion to be ready when the old one is phased out.

Not only popular for guests but also for the bar staff because of the 15% tip added to many more drinks than would be sold at that time. And a lower profit margin on many drinks is still more profitable than a quiet bar.

One person was happy to have a quiet & nearly empty bar but that’s not as profitable for Princess & is very disappointing for many passengers. For those who desire solitude that’s possible during most of the day.

A previous post stated that Princess said BOGO$1 was being eliminated due to too many passengers stocking up on drinks which reduced drink purchases later. If that’s true, that’s a valid concern & they’ll evaluate whether HH is still more profitable or not.

I don’t smuggle alcohol but the elimination of the HH could result in more passengers doing it resulting in lower profits.

Statements from Princess say that the HH elimination was done by their F&B department but wonder if it was actually done at the direction of upper management. :confused:

I know we will be bringing on more booze since the elimination of happy hour. Also servers will be losing tips. Not only the 15% but we usually gave the servers a couple bucks cash too.