Video of rough seas - Silhouette Transatlantic

bhughey

Wow!! Thanks for sharing that video. Don't know how I would have felt sailing through that. On our Princess cruise to NE/Canada last year we hit some really rough seas. Literally had to hang on to the edge of the bed while trying to sleep as we were sliding off the bottom! It is great to come home from a trip like that and talk about it! Makes for a great adventure.

Yeah - remember that night! We were in one of the Sunset Verandas on Deck 6 (all the way aft)! Drawers opening and closing, closet doors sliding open, stuff rolling off the dresser... IT WAS GREAT!!! :D Although the lack of sleep did leave us groggy the next morning, I actually enjoyed the rough seas. Made the crossing so much more authentic!

Thanks for posting this - what great memories. Hope to see you guys again someday... Any chance you're considering Hawaii on the Century next year? ;)

Cheers,

Luc & Suzanne

Hi Luc & Suzanne! It was great meeting you two! Funny you mention Hawaii - we were actually just talking about it - so it's on the radar! I hear the Pacific can be a bit crazy, too!

Everything on the shelf in the bathroom went flying, the drawers and closet were opening and closing all night, our fruit bowl, flowers and glasses on the dresser counter hit the floor! It was very difficult to sleep, but fun at the same time!

Yeah - remember that night! We were in one of the Sunset Verandas on Deck 6 (all the way aft)! Drawers opening and closing, closet doors sliding open, stuff rolling off the dresser

Passport - check. Suit for formal night - check. Comfortable walking shoes - check. Duct tape to keep the drawers and closet closed and stuff on the table - check.

Edited by boogs

Bhughey we were sitting in the bar when you were taking the video.It was a little scary and fun to be tossed around like that.You are right it was worse the night we left Lisbon.We were the couple with the bloody marys.I know you had one too I was going to introduce myself but chickened out I recognized you guys from the shutterfly site maybe next time.

Bhughey we were sitting in the bar when you were taking the video.It was a little scary and fun to be tossed around like that.You are right it was worse the night we left Lisbon.We were the couple with the bloody marys.I know you had one too I was going to introduce myself but chickened out I recognized you guys from the shutterfly site maybe next time.

Wasn't that the perfect spot for "wave watching"?! I hate we didn't meet! I love a fellow cruiser who shares my appreciation of a good bloody mary! :)

We are leaving Rome the Equinox, November 28th. coming back to Ft. Lauderdale.I hope all of the rough weather is gone by the time we get to Europe. Not sure I want to have this experience.

We have done several fall / winter crossings and never had bad weather. Counting on our luck holding out this year!!

The first part of the video was taken in the Sky Lounge - deck 14 (waves crashing over bow). The first "crash of waves" was particularly impressive as the sea spray actually hit the window. The 2nd part of the video where the waves covered the window was taken from the Passport Bar on deck 3 and the final segment was from the Grand Cuvee - deck. 4. All images were recorded on 10/31. We joked at times that it was like being on a rollercoaster! Many crew members shared that they had been seasick.

Regarding the size of the waves, Phil is correct - about 25 feet. While the Silhouette certainly handled the storms we encountered - the anti shake function on the camera allowed for a much steadier image.

The evening we left Lisbon was actually the rockiest - our cabin was on the aft, so lots of motion. Everything on the shelf in the bathroom went flying, the drawers and closet were opening and closing all night, our fruit bowl, flowers and glasses on the dresser counter hit the floor! It was very difficult to sleep, but fun at the same time!

It was interesting to see the wave cover the window in the Passport Bar.

In 2004 as we were passing in between mainland Italy and Sicily we hit a small pocket of very rough sea! We were having dinner in the Ocean Cafe and Grill when all of a sudden the doors leading out to the Summit Bar blew open by a huge gust of wind. We were sitting right across from the grill area where staff were cooking on portable burners with open flame. The burners started to slide across the counter tops. I have never seen staff move so fast trying to catch the sliding burners. It could have gotten out of hand so fast and spelled disaster. Talk about heart pounding excitement!! :eek::eek::eek:

We are leaving Rome the Equinox, November 28th. coming back to Ft. Lauderdale.I hope all of the rough weather is gone by the time we get to Europe. Not sure I want to have this experience.

We have done several fall / winter crossings and never had bad weather. Counting on our luck holding out this year!!

Hi,

This TA season has been exceptionally rough so far, weather-wise....Normally, most,if not all TAs from early october onwards are smooth with a few bounes here and there.

But then, we all know how nasty Mother Nature has been this year, both sides of each big oceans and everywhere in between...The Med/ Southern+Western Europe area has seen way way more torrential rains, floodings, high winds than normal since early October....and our own hurricane season in North America has been rough....

You ought to be quite OK for that crossing. Clients are on that one...their 3rd ;'' late november'' TA...the first two were of the ''bath tub'' variety, ...that smooth !

Cheers

My wife and I are on that cruise as well. However, we also just returned home from a transatlantic crossing on RCL's Voyage of the Seas that departed Barcelona on October 30th. As our last port of call, we were supposed to go to Ponta Delgado in the Azores, but because of the storm in the atlantic (most likely the same one in the video), our captain decided to sail south from Cadiz to the Canary Islands instead and then take a more southerly route. After viewing that video, I'm damn glad he did, lol!

(...)Funny you mention Hawaii - we were actually just talking about it - so it's on the radar! I hear the Pacific can be a bit crazy, too!

We'll be on the Century out of San Diego on Nov. 4th, 2012. Would be nice to see you two there!

Cheers,

Luc & Suzanne

• 6 years later...

I am definitely not showing this to DH as we are booked for a TA this November. He remembers crossing the North Atlantic in December, 1951 with his parents when they emigrated to the USA.

Of course, their "ship" was a cargo ship which had been converted for troops during WWII and like a cork on the ocean as far as movement went.

We have crossed the Pacific twice and the worst was 8-12' waves in a January trip to Hawaii.

Sue