Ocean Liners: Glamour, Speed, and Style...

Bostonjetset

Good evening fellow Cunard lovers.

I wanted to share this information as I felt it may be of interest to many of you [especially those of you in New England and "old" England as well].

I attended a wonderful exhibit today at the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, Massachusetts called "Ocean Liners: Glamour, Speed, and Style" that chronicles the heyday of ocean travel between the mid-1800s to the mid 1900s. Whilst not specific to Cunard, the line [obviously] played a major part in the exhibit and was the most prominently displayed along with White Star Line, the French Line and the United States Line. Surprisingly there was not much on Holland America Line [with the exception of ONE poster] so I wonder if they did not want to grant copyright consent or something of the sort.

It was extremely well done and included [in addition to the many lovely vintage posters] several artifacts from actual famous ships [the original "Honor and Glory Crowning Time" from RMS Olympic; Verandah Grill circus painting and carpet from the original Queen Mary; deck chairs from Titanic, Normandie and SS United States; the Cartier diamond/pearl tiara that Lady Allen carried with her off the Lusitania; some of the Duke of Windsor's Goyard trunks; the scale model of the original Queen Elisabeth that was in the Cunard New York office, etc. etc.]. Also, the Hales Trophy is there for the exhibit. It really was a treasure trove of ocean liner goodies. This was a joint exhibit with London's Victoria & Albert Museum so will move there after the run in Salem finishes in Oct. so our brothers and sisters in England will have the chance to see it as well. For those that can't make it, the full catalog is available for purchase and includes wonderful pics of everything displayed [i couldn't resist buying one haha].

The link below has a very brief description of the exhibit. Anyway, I thought I would share as I know there are many true ship buffs on this board.

http://www.pem.org/exhibitions/198-ocean_liners_glamour_speed_and_style

• 2 months later...

Having attended the exhibit this week, I can second the recommendations to see it. We spent about three hours taking it in; much longer than I had expected. I have some photos that, once I've cleaned them up, I'll post here.

Phil