Recent QM2 Voyage

DG12345

we also we on this crossing. had a great time, we were with friends and they drank cocktails most evenings. Some were extra strong and some were weak, one night in g32 they both had same cocktail, one was a darker colour than the other and tasted stronger, bit weird you would think they would be the same.

Ernie

Please post a full review of your crossing, as I value your insight. Im sailing on the Sep 7 crossing and cant wait to check out the refit.

Rick

Hi Rick,

That is so nice of you to say! I really appreciate it.

To be honest I've sailed on QM2 so many times now that it seems redundant to write a review. I did write one up last year with lots of pics since it was soon after her latest refit. I'm a big fan of the refit. I actually love the carpets and the way QM2 looks now. I think atrium is so much better without the two lifts, and the Kings Court and Carinthia Lounge are the two biggest improvements. They are both awesome spaces now. Even cabins are so much better with the large flat panel TV's mounted on the wall, and good riddance to those ugly rust color couches. The color scheme now is so much more inviting and the furniture more appealing.

Everything was great on this last crossing, with two small exceptions. As mentioned earlier on this thread I was not happy with the drinks, either the pricing or the pours. Certainly no bargain and I can get far better and cheaper drinks at most bars in the US. My other complaint is related to technology. I love technology but Cunard seems to think its passengers are too old to care. That could be a mistake in the long run. The Internet onboard is dismal. Very spotty and slow. Compared to other lines like ZOOM on Royal Caribbean & Celebrity, it pales in comparison. Also the TV is not interactive (it was when QM2 was first introduced), so no movies on demand, no music playlists, and no checking your onboard account. At the very least it would be nice if there were kiosks by the Purser's Office to check your shipboard account. It would same them having people lining up for a printout of their statement. Along the same lines, I'm disappointed there is not an app for your smartphone to check the daily program, book dining reservations, or access your shipboard account. This is becoming standard on other lines. Technology is one area where Cunard truly falls behind the curve, and as the line tries to attract a younger demographic to survive, it will be something they have to address.

Otherwise I was very happy with the experience and QM2/Cunard in general. Things are generally well done and quite civilized. Enough so that I'm booked to return in November. QM2 probably remains my favorite ship afloat, and is truly the only ship sailing today that I'm happy to sail on again and again.

Hi Rick,

That is so nice of you to say! I really appreciate it.

To be honest I've sailed on QM2 so many times now that it seems redundant to write a review. I did write one up last year with lots of pics since it was soon after her latest refit. I'm a big fan of the refit. I actually love the carpets and the way QM2 looks now. I think atrium is so much better without the two lifts, and the Kings Court and Carinthia Lounge are the two biggest improvements. They are both awesome spaces now. Even cabins are so much better with the large flat panel TV's mounted on the wall, and good riddance to those ugly rust color couches. The color scheme now is so much more inviting and the furniture more appealing.

Everything was great on this last crossing, with two small exceptions. As mentioned earlier on this thread I was not happy with the drinks, either the pricing or the pours. Certainly no bargain and I can get far better and cheaper drinks at most bars in the US. My other complaint is related to technology. I love technology but Cunard seems to think its passengers are too old to care. That could be a mistake in the long run. The Internet onboard is dismal. Very spotty and slow. Compared to other lines like ZOOM on Royal Caribbean & Celebrity, it pales in comparison. Also the TV is not interactive (it was when QM2 was first introduced), so no movies on demand, no music playlists, and no checking your onboard account. At the very least it would be nice if there were kiosks by the Purser's Office to check your shipboard account. It would same them having people lining up for a printout of their statement. Along the same lines, I'm disappointed there is not an app for your smartphone to check the daily program, book dining reservations, or access your shipboard account. This is becoming standard on other lines. Technology is one area where Cunard truly falls behind the curve, and as the line tries to attract a younger demographic to survive, it will be something they have to address.

Otherwise I was very happy with the experience and QM2/Cunard in general. Things are generally well done and quite civilized. Enough so that I'm booked to return in November. QM2 probably remains my favorite ship afloat, and is truly the only ship sailing today that I'm happy to sail on again and again.

I'd fully agree with your observations and also think the QM2 is the best ship at sea.

I do think technology could be improved massively. The picture quality on the in room televisions was abysmal and the lack of movies on demand was a huge hinderance, so much so it reminded me of past journeys on planes where the movie would be shown on a big screen at the front.

Most passengers have an iPad and I think it would be much more convenient to have a daily programme available on an app and much more cost effective for Cunard!!

Most passengers have an iPad and I think it would be much more convenient to have a daily programme available on an app and much more cost effective for Cunard!!

I agree completely. Choice is always a good thing. I would like the option of a smart phone app to view the daily program. I could opt out of the paper copy by letting my cabin steward know. Those that still wanted the paper copy could certainly still receive it. I would be happy to save the paper. Everyone is happy!

Hi

I will be back on board 9/7 for my 24th sailing on the marvelous QM2. I especially like the refit especially the introduction of the Carinthia Lounge. Reading this thread, I was a bit concerned about the lunch service in the lounge was apparently discontinued. That lunch venue was a favorite of mine and for many other passengers as well.

I have just heard from a shipboard friend of mine who is a senior member of the entertainment staff that it is his understanding that there is a staffing issue which should be resolved soon. Hope this helps. I'll let everyone know once I get back on....And will certainly complain if it is still closed.

Deck Chair

Oh yea- QM2 is my favorite ship curently sailing the seven seas- so to speak. The refit was a real hit so it seems - I never heard a bad word about it! The old wintergarden was plain tacky. I agree to with technical aspect- to be able to see ones account in TV would spare them lot´s and lot´s of people in front of the pursers desk! The App - well at least they should offer that service- I would not need though- am happy with the dailys! What I love on QM2 is also the RADA entertainers, very nice to watch and listen!

Hello

I just heard from contacts at Cunard that lunch service in the Carinthia Lounge has now resumed. Apparently the closure earlier was due to operational issues. Good news!

Deck Chair

Thanks for the update. That is great news. I look forward to checking it out next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh yea- QM2 is my favorite ship curently sailing the seven seas- so to speak. The refit was a real hit so it seems - I never heard a bad word about it! The old wintergarden was plain tacky. I agree to with technical aspect- to be able to see ones account in TV would spare them lot´s and lot´s of people in front of the pursers desk! The App - well at least they should offer that service- I would not need though- am happy with the dailys! What I love on QM2 is also the RADA entertainers, very nice to watch and listen!

I'm not sure they still have the connection with RADA. They weren't on either of our recent crossings.

I agree with other posters about technology. It's all well and good to have new carpets, but the refit was the perfect time to upgrade her tech.

HAL, despite its reputation for being stodgy, is implementing a sort of intranet. You can download an app that lets you access the daily program, check your account, book a tour. They also have kiosks in the atrium where you can check your account and get a printout. I think you can book a tour on the kiosks, too. I'm pretty sure all ships have the kiosks. The intranet is being rolled out gradually across the fleet.

Oh Rada gone- well I quess they came up with another nice idea! Good to hear they have a bit more options again in the Carinthia Lounge!

There were fencing lessons. Perhaps that's considered the replacement for RADA. I was sorry not to have them on our crossings. The workshops were fun and I have a certificate from participating in them on a past cruise. I try to use it to claim I'm a RADA graduate. :evilsmile:

Fencing lesson- oh haven help me- thats sounds much like sport to me. I am just not made for that kind of " movement" - I am sure they let you pass for " Rada" with your certificate! Those fencing lesson were a great fun to watch on my last crossing though. LOL