Cunard playing silly buggers with CONFIRMED dining

phillipahain

I once had a Cunard booking confirmation saying 2nd sitting confirmed , but the card in the stateroom was for 1st sitting.

When I showed this to the M'D he seemed very alarmed and when we got back to the cabin there was a new card under the door with a new table number for 2nd sitting. Mistakes do sometimes happen.

Well clearly Cunard decided that confirmed means exactly that and sorted things yesterday with a table for 6pm even a table for 2 which i am sure is extremely unusual as normally they are very difficult to get

Have to wonder why they could not have got things right from the outset ...seems such a needless shamozzle all round

Remember you are only hearing one side of the story, particularly in terms of "others" treated similarly and alleged attitude of Maitre De etc.;)

My guess is they have found a way to make this customer feel they are "right"....gets the problem out of their hair!!

Interesting how posts respondIng to mine passed over the entitlement to which I was referring & chose to focus on the one $20 example. Perhaps I was not precise enough as this was an add on to the post.

My appreciation & gratitude had nothing to do with tipping money or a "bribe;" just a general attitude of appreciation throughout the cruise, even when disappointments might occur.

Am on Queen Vic now. There is a strange situation in the MDR right now, a few tables away from us, there is a family- two young children, who could not get their requested 8.30 dining session, they are not happy with the 6pm session so have been showing up at 7pm every night since they boarded on Saturday in Rome. They are being served as normal.

I once had a Cunard booking confirmation saying 2nd sitting confirmed , but the card in the stateroom was for 1st sitting. When I showed this to the M'D he seemed very alarmed and when we got back to the cabin there was a new card under the door with a new table number for 2nd sitting. Mistakes do sometimes happen.
I had the same issue many years ago. The Maitre d' sorted it as soon as I politely pointed the problem out (I took the little card with dining time and table number found in my cabin, along with my printed booking confirmation, to his desk soon after boarding).

I was given a seat at a "Hosted" table on late seating. Being seated there brought several consequential benefits during the cruise.

He turned an unhappy passenger into a very happy one, quickly and without fuss.

How bizarre, are they eating very quickly so their table is ready for 2nd sitting ? It must make things difficult for the waiters and kitchen staff.
I thought the same thing! Esp with two young children to look after. Hardly a relaxing dinner I would have thought, clock-watching constantly. The plates for the courses must be cleared away and immediately replaced as if on a conveyor belt!

In my experience and observation most passengers with youngsters would seem to prefer early seating; I've very rarely seen young children on late seating.

In reply to peppern and Hattie, I agree, strange for a family with young children to prefer to dine late. I'm sure the children had no say in the subject! And they are the ones most affected as it clear from their behaviour. Anyway, by the time they leave the dining room, it is barely 15 minutes before the 8.30 session. I'm pretty sure it is just selfish behaviour on the parents side, clearly no wish to comply with the fixed 6pm session they were allocated, no regard for what's best for their children and no regard for the waiters.

In reply to peppern and Hattie, I agree, strange for a family with young children to prefer to dine late. I'm sure the children had no say in the subject! And they are the ones most affected as it clear from their behaviour. Anyway, by the time they leave the dining room, it is barely 15 minutes before the 8.30 session. I'm pretty sure it is just selfish behaviour on the parents side, clearly no wish to comply with the fixed 6pm session they were allocated, no regard for what's best for their children and no regard for the waiters.

I agree that they are showing no regard for the waiters, this must be generating a load of extra work. If you aren't happy with fixed time dining you can pay extra from Britannia Club or if the budget doesn't cover that eat in the buffet or order room service. (Or is suppose pick a different line that has different policies)

However I don't really understand how you can decide they have no regard for their children. Possibly they are doing this to try an maintain the kids routine? They may well eat dinner at 7pm at home. While I certainly disagree with how they are going about doing it I consider it extremely judgemental to effectively brand them bad parents for eating later.

I see nothing wrong with booking late dinning with children, if that's what suits your family.

Am on Queen Vic now. There is a strange situation in the MDR right now, a few tables away from us, there is a family- two young children, who could not get their requested 8.30 dining session, they are not happy with the 6pm session so have been showing up at 7pm every night since they boarded on Saturday in Rome. They are being served as normal.

I recall on the QE2 the doors of the Mauretania (formerly Britannia) Restaurant were closed 30 minutes after the start of each sitting. Although they were not locked, there was a crew member stationed at each door and anyone trying to get in had to provide a good reason. I remember one man making a loud scene at one meal and actually pushed the maître d' in order to get in. Perhaps Cunard wants to avoid unpleasantness and allows people to come in after the usual sitting time.

I agree that they are showing no regard for the waiters, this must be generating a load of extra work. If you aren't happy with fixed time dining you can pay extra from Britannia Club or if the budget doesn't cover that eat in the buffet or order room service. (Or is suppose pick a different line that has different policies)

However I don't really understand how you can decide they have no regard for their children. Possibly they are doing this to try an maintain the kids routine? They may well eat dinner at 7pm at home. While I certainly disagree with how they are going about doing it I consider it extremely judgemental to effectively brand them bad parents for eating later.

I see nothing wrong with booking late dinning with children, if that's what suits your family.

I agree: there is nothing wrong with families with children booking late dining.

A few years ago, on a QM2 trip, my husband and I had a table for two in Britannia Dining Room, separated by one of those 12 inch dividers with a lamp on top. On the other side was two 30-ish adults and two children: a one year old, and a three year old (approximately).

The first night, the youngest let out a scream that you would expect from someone being flayed alive. The staff rushed to the table. We could see that the child was fine, just exercising his or her lungs. Things quieted down - for about half an hour, then the older child started crying loudly. The adult male, presumably father, took the child out for a walk while the waiters kept his food warm...

Anyway, you get the gist. I can't imagine how that family enjoyed their dinner that way night after night, but that was their choice, and their right, having paid the fare.

In retrospect, the lesson I learned was to have a pleasant chat with the maître d about relocating to a different location in the dining room when conditions are annoying/unpleasant/disruptive...less than romantic when celebrating an anniversary? I don't know how to frame it

Cheers,

Salacia

I agree: there is nothing wrong with families with children booking late dining.

A few years ago, on a QM2 trip, my husband and I had a table for two in Britannia Dining Room, separated by one of those 12 inch dividers with a lamp on top. On the other side was two 30-ish adults and two children: a one year old, and a three year old (approximately).

The first night, the youngest let out a scream that you would expect from someone being flayed alive. The staff rushed to the table. We could see that the child was fine, just exercising his or her lungs. Things quieted down - for about half an hour, then the older child started crying loudly. The adult male, presumably father, took the child out for a walk while the waiters kept his food warm...

Anyway, you get the gist. I can't imagine how that family enjoyed their dinner that way night after night, but that was their choice, and their right, having paid the fare.

In retrospect, the lesson I learned was to have a pleasant chat with the maître d about relocating to a different location in the dining room when conditions are annoying/unpleasant/disruptive...less than romantic when celebrating an anniversary? I don't know how to frame it

Cheers,

Salacia

Honestly many young children will cry at some point during dinner no matter what time it is served. The situation may well have been no different even if they had early dining. Especially in my experience if there is a gap between courses (they get bored). All parents can do is show consideration to their fellow dinners and remove the child until he/she calms down.

I am not disagreeing that early dinner would be best for the majority of children, but I do know of kids that eat later. My own son eats later than 6pm, I don't believe this makes me an uncaring parent.

Cunard do offer a night nursery from 6pm to 11pm for children under 2. If you have kids in the age range then you can avoid the problem all together.

There is always a chance you will be given a table near children. Even with considerate parents who remove their little darlings the moment they cause trouble there will be some disruption to surrounding guests. Some people consider it so unacceptable they stick to ships that are 18+.

To ben_83,yes I am being judgemental based on the fact both kids tired, one constantly yawning. Both getting off their chairs and wandering about, one parent regularly leaving the dining room, the one left behind ignoring anddoing nothing to stop other bad behaviour from the kids. Mother brushing the daughters hair for a good five minutes at the dining table, this was on formal night, not that that makes a difference, lots of other stuff which is just not appropriate in a public dining area, anyway it is clear that these people haven't a clue as to how to teach their children manners. They don't appear to have any themselves. I'm not saying late dining is wrong in all cases for families if they are used to it at home.

Wow, that's some response. I think most of us are familiar with what infants and children do, but that's just a wild guess :)

Personally, I don't see "the problem" you refer to, so I don't see the night nursery as a solution. Families should dine together. That is how children learn and how loved ones grow closer.

Manners are taught, empathy is hard learned.

On my previous post, I related a personal experience. You will note that we did not ask to be moved to a different table because we did not want to cast a shadow on that young family.

However, dining was no joy. (My husband and I did try communicating with the family adjacent to the table on the first, saying how beautiful their children were, etc. Apparently they did not speak English and appeared affronted. Quite natural, I suppose, as we are terribly scary looking New Yorkers !:eek:

The problem I am referring to is if Cunard set running times don't align with when your child wants to eat. You could opt for late sitting, feed your child whenever (room servicw/kings court) and so long as they were asleep before 8.30 you can enjoy dinner in peace. Families should do what's best for them. The only childcare Cunard offer for the under 2s is the night nursery so I can understand people making use of it. Spending time with kids is great but some time as a couple is nice too.

You say many are familiar with children and while I sure this is true your post specifically referenced an experience you have had with kids at late sitting. I thought it was worth pointing out this could occur just as easily at early sitting.

The problem I am referring to is if Cunard set running times don't align with when your child wants to eat. You could opt for late sitting, feed your child whenever (room servicw/kings court) and so long as they were asleep before 8.30 you can enjoy dinner in peace. Families should do what's best for them. The only childcare Cunard offer for the under 2s is the night nursery so I can understand people making use of it. Spending time with kids is great but some time as a couple is nice too.

You say many are familiar with children and while I sure this is true your post specifically referenced an experience you have had with kids at late sitting. I thought it was worth pointing out this could occur just as easily at early sitting.

Actually, no, I did not attribute my experience to early or late dining- please read it again. I did state that "there is nothing wrong with families with children booking late dining". Apparently, you assumed I was relating an experience about late seating. "I thought this was worth pointing out" -most of us know this can occur at either seating.:)

To ben_83,yes I am being judgemental based on the fact both kids tired, one constantly yawning. Both getting off their chairs and wandering about, one parent regularly leaving the dining room, the one left behind ignoring anddoing nothing to stop other bad behaviour from the kids. Mother brushing the daughters hair for a good five minutes at the dining table, this was on formal night, not that that makes a difference, lots of other stuff which is just not appropriate in a public dining area, anyway it is clear that these people haven't a clue as to how to teach their children manners. They don't appear to have any themselves. I'm not saying late dining is wrong in all cases for families if they are used to it at home.

I apologise when I read your post originally I took it as aimed at any parent who dares to dine late with their kids.

If the kids are getting up and wandering around then this is a parental control issue.

Possibly the hair brushing is something the mother knows calms her daughter? Hardly normal dinner table behaviour but not really harming anyone. I personally prefer a small glove puppet in the pocket can be used as a distraction between courses.

This couple may well be lacking in manners, it seems likely from what you describe. I just find it hard to judge as we don't know what their motive for the odd behaviour is. For all I know their kids may normally have a nap from 5-7pm and are yawning as they have just woken up.

* for some reason one of Salacia's posts I have responded to has disappeared, not sure why?

Edited by Ben_83

Actually, no, I did not attribute my experience to early or late dining- please read it again. I did state that "there is nothing wrong with families with children booking late dining". Apparently, you assumed I was relating an experience about late seating. "I thought this was worth pointing out" -most of us know this can occur at either seating.:)

Apologies, that will teach me to post at 5am.

Wow, I'd be plenty judgmental, too. And if I were near them, I'd definitely try to get moved to another part of the dining room. Brushing anyone's hair in the dining room is gross! Arriving 30 minutes after "last order" is inconsiderate of the staff--and unless the waiters had superpowers, this family's disruption of the flow of meals may have impacted the service received by other tables. Some people believe they are the ONLY people on the planet and that anything they or their kids do is perfectly OK.

I didn't see any little ones at dinner on our recent crossings, but I did see a few in other places. One toddler was toddling (walk, fall, crawl, walk, fall, crawl...) around in the Chart Room at 8 PM when we were trying to listen to the music. Another night, around the same time, we saw two little kids (under 5, if I had to guess) attempting to play soccer with a small ball in the middle of the red splotch carpet between the Chart Room and Godiva. People walking to dinner had to dodge the kids. The mom made no effort to get them out of the way.

On the plus side, from my seat in the dining room, I could see several families with kids as young as 8 or 9. It was lovely to see how nicely dressed and well behaved they were. So not all kids on Cunard are to be avoided--just the ones with bad parents.

I

Cheers,

Salacia

We once had a very difficult weeks dining with a gentleman, and his wife who had dementia. Looking back should I have had a quiet word aside with him explaining why we were moving to another table. How would have this distracted man reacted. Was he wrong not to taken a double table rather than choosing, as he had, a table for four. In the end we stuck it out, having identical conversations every evening but it ruined our dining experience during that cruise.

What would I do now. Have the conversation definitely.

David.

Unless they offer a childrens' menu in Britannia/Club/Grills, the buffet seems like a much better choice for children, particularly if they're still at a picky eating stage.

There is a Childrens' menu in the Main Dining rooms.

We once had a very difficult weeks dining with a gentleman, and his wife who had dementia. Looking back should I have had a quiet word aside with him explaining why we were moving to another table. How would have this distracted man reacted. Was he wrong not to taken a double table rather than choosing, as he had, a table for four. In the end we stuck it out, having identical conversations every evening but it ruined our dining experience during that cruise.

What would I do now. Have the conversation definitely.

David.

Perhaps they didn't think to specify a smaller table? Or he hoped interactions with others would be good for her. It was kind of you to stay, but it's sad that it ruined meal time. I can understand how it would be an uncomfortable experience.

My DH has health problems that cause him to have to eat very slowly. We used to enjoy a larger table but now we always ask for a table for 2 at dinner because we don't want to slow the progress of the meal for others. We do usually share at breakfast because it's a less formal meal and nobody feels awkward about leaving early if they're finished ahead of us. So we have the enjoyment of a larger table without inconveniencing anyone.