Considering Cruise

MONTICELLO

July6-July28 2017

Since there are 2 transatlantics, I was wondering about daytime activities.

For the fjords...will I see them from the ship, or must we book excursions? Where do I find the list of excursions?

I've read about trolleys and trams. More information?

How do I find out about Meet and Greets and other Cruise Critic activities?

Thanking you in advance for your help and patience.

Monticello (aka: Myrna, Miggi)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The best way to find out about Cruise Critic activities is on the roll call board. The one for this cruise is -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2456332.

It looks a if part of your question has been answered there.

There are some examples of Daily Programmes in the sticky at the top of this board.

July6-July28 2017

For the fjords...will I see them from the ship, or must we book excursions? Where do I find the list of excursions?

Monticello (aka: Myrna, Miggi)

The excursions will appear in Your Voyage Personaliser but if you haven't booked yet, you will get an idea from here:

http://www.cunard.co.uk/destinations/regions/baltic-norway-fjords-cruises/

The ship will cruise down the fjords in Gerainger and Flam

The best way to find out about Cruise Critic activities is on the roll call board. The one for this cruise is -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2456332.

It looks a if part of your question has been answered there.

There are some examples of Daily Programmes in the sticky at the top of this board.

Sorry....what is a sticky

Sorry....what is a sticky

The threads near the top with the push pins beside them.

On sea days, Cunard always has lecturers (usually two a day) that have a wide background (authors, historians, astronauts, military, government, medicine, etc., etc,). Afternoon tea is held every day and you need to attend at least once if not more often.

I am also considering our first Cunard cruise; an eastbound TA in May 2018 in the QM2. Some questions:

1. Is there a walking/jogging track? How many laps to a mile?

2. Is the fitness center adequate for the number of passengers?

3. We would be in a QG5. Is Deck 9 better than Deck 10?

4. How many formal nights for 7 days' cruising?

5. Are there group games like Trivia or Liars Club?

Thanks for all recommendations/tips that can help us!

July6-July28 2017

Monticello (aka: Myrna, Miggi)Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello Monticello,

What a great cruise you have selected.

We did the same type of cruise in the past except we flew to Southampton and joined the ship there to take the Norway Fjords cruise and then did the return TA across back to NYC.

Eventually you will see the tours appear in the Personalizer for each port with a full description, difficulty levels of walking and price. Also if a tour is lengthy, it will inform you if a meal is included like we experienced. On one tour we had a great salmon with dill sauce lunch beside the waterfall next to the restaurant.

We did not see too much about trolleys and trams except in one port that escapes me at this time to sightsee a Vista View.

Please take a lot of memory space on your cameras and video recorder because I just couldn't take enough to record and show on the return. Truly breathing views and scenery.

One day we sailed down the Gerainger Fjord and past the Famous Waterfalls including the Seven Sisters, the Suitor and the Bridal Veil visible by ship.

Please follow the previous info posted on the Meet & Greet. We met many wonderful people thru these meetings and a good source for exchanging ideas and info. We still keep in touch with them.

One thing that you will notice is the unusual on the top of Norway, the Midnight Sun never sets but rises halfway in the sky. Took a little getting use to throwing off the body internal clock.

You will have fond memories of this cruise.

I am also considering our first Cunard cruise; an eastbound TA in May 2018 in the QM2. Some questions:

1. Is there a walking/jogging track? How many laps to a mile?

2. Is the fitness center adequate for the number of passengers?

3. We would be in a QG5. Is Deck 9 better than Deck 10?

4. How many formal nights for 7 days' cruising?

5. Are there group games like Trivia or Liars Club?

Thanks for all recommendations/tips that can help us!

Hi Camillus,

Welcome to Cunard. You will enjoy the experience of the QM2 if you book. It's a different type of sailing from a cruise ship.

Walking the Promenade Deck - Deck 7 three (3) times equals close to a mile. You will see a sign on the wall of the Deck giving that information. The Deck 7 is a joint walking, strolling and jogging area. Jogging is not allowed till after 8AM because it is above cabin located on Deck 6. It runs the entire length of the ship on the Starboard and Portside.

Fitness Centre is a truly fitness center with all types of fitness machines ex. treadmills, bikes, Nautilus and excerise equipment ex..barbells..You may find a picture on the Cunard Site or the thread with the 3,430 photos of the QM2 http://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/queen-mary-2-qm2-294/

I can not answer the inquire about Deck 9 and 10 at this time.

If I recall past experience there's about 3 Formal nights and the rest Informal. There is part of the Cunard Website that will actually give you a listing of the number of Formal, Informal and which Balls will be held during your cruise. I have seen it there.

Trivia is a favorite game that is held on most Sea days in the Golden Lion Pub. I believe it is held after breakfast.

Hope this information will be of help...

Thanks mil, BklynBoy8, you have been very helpful! I will follow the Cunard board to continue learning about this line. We have only cruised Silversea and Seabourn to date, and are very excited about trying Cunard. I know it will be a lovely experience. Thanks, again.

Thanks mil, BklynBoy8, you have been very helpful! I will follow the Cunard board to continue learning about this line. We have only cruised Silversea and Seabourn to date, and are very excited about trying Cunard. I know it will be a lovely experience. Thanks, again.

Your welcome....

We have only experienced Cunard and HAL.....But Cunard the Favorite..

We are not into Mega Ship of today. Also Freestyle dining....Open Dress Code..

We like the style Dining Hours which is the way we eat at home. Also it is fun to Dress up for the Formal Evenings and also proper dress for even the Informal Evenings. It sets a certain tone thru out the ship seeing everyone strolling thru the ship.

Unfortunately those experiencing the Queen's the first time and not abiding by the code sticks out like a Sore Thumb.

We also like the décor of the ship and not stainless steel style of other lines. We are eager to see her dressed to her finest after her recent refit which looks great. Once in awhile I like looking at those 3430 photos posted to relearn her after a 8 year absence

Regarding dress codes, it is unfortunate that most lines are relaxing their enforcement and you may find yourself in your best finery seating alongside a sockless casual moccasin user during formal nights. This actually happened to an acquaintance. There is a lot of discussion in both the SS and SB boards (SB, mostly) with most posters favoring resort casual attire for all evenings. DH and I enjoy formal nights and elegant informal evenings, and that's one reason to select Cunard for 2018.

Now, I understand that in QG there is a particular restaurant for these passengers. However, I assume that - should we want to try other venues - we could. Would we need reservations? Sorry to keep asking questions...

Regarding dress codes, it is unfortunate that most lines are relaxing their enforcement and you may find yourself in your best finery seating alongside a sockless casual moccasin user during formal nights. This actually happened to an acquaintance. There is a lot of discussion in both the SS and SB boards (SB, mostly) with most posters favoring resort casual attire for all evenings. DH and I enjoy formal nights and elegant informal evenings, and that's one reason to select Cunard for 2018.

Now, I understand that in QG there is a particular restaurant for these passengers. However, I assume that - should we want to try other venues - we could. Would we need reservations? Sorry to keep asking questions...

Your two main alternative dining options are the Verandah restaurant (lunch and dinner) and the themed restaurant dining option in Kings Court (dinner) which rotates among Aztec (Mexican), Bamboo (Asian), Coriander (Indian), La Piazza (Italian), and Smokehouse (American). Additional charges apply for these alternative dining options and you will want to make reservations for them. I believe you may make advance reservations for dinner in the Verandah restaurant via the Voyage Personaliser but as far as I know, reservations for the Kings Court themed restaurant can only be made on board.

There are other dining options that do not take reservations and are no additional charge such as the Golden Lion (pub lunch), the Carinthia Lounge (light breakfast and lunch and tasting plates in the evening), and of course the main buffet in Kings Court (all day).

Concerning your previous questions, to expand upon / confirm the information BklynBoy8 has provided:

1. Three laps around the promenade on deck 7 = 1.1 miles.

4. The usual dress code for a seven-day crossing is indeed 3 formal evenings and 4 informal evenings.

5. Trivia and quizzes are very popular on the QM2. There are often 4 or 5 of those scheduled throughout the day during a crossing from 10:30am to 10:00pm.

Regards,

John

Edited by bluemarble

Camillus,

First, Cruise Critics LOVES Questions! That is how we all learn from others experiences. Ask Away...

Oh I didn't know you were not aware of dining in the Elegant Queen Grill for all three meals and you also have the Queens Grill Lounge (across the hall) for casual lounging and private Tea Time for QG Guests. We enjoyed that on the QE2.

Yes you can also eat in the Kings Court, Café Carinthia, Golden Lion Pub, Sir Samuel with their appropriate individual offerings.

You are a couple after my own heart to enjoy playing dress-up. Those not appropriate dressed will be approached at the dining room door and directed to the area they are allowed which are not too many. That's one of our reasons for Cunard vessels.

Beware that the trivia contests can be brutal. And very oriented (or as they would say, "orientated") to the English passengers. For instance, on a QE2 crossing, the answer to a question was "American football." The team, composed of pax from the US, simply answered "football" and was ruled wrong by the powers-that-be.

On our last trip, I won a beautiful Cunard flash drive with an astonishing 1 GB capacity. (It IS pretty, though. And it was a better choice than the Cunard pencils.)

Funny, I've seen Brits here complain that the quizzes are too US-focused. :)

I've read that if a Grills passenger is interested in a dinner in Britannia that it can be arranged via the Grills Maître d' but I have no knowledge whether this is true.

John, Eddie, Mark, Underwatr, you have been very helpful!! People like you are the best ambassadors for the line. I do have to say that Cunard's website is not as easy to navigate, and maybe there is valuable information there that I have not found as yet. I'll keep trying... and also continue to ask questions in this Board. Again, many thanks!

John, Eddie, Mark, Underwatr, you have been very helpful!! People like you are the best ambassadors for the line. I do have to say that Cunard's website is not as easy to navigate, and maybe there is valuable information there that I have not found as yet. I'll keep trying... and also continue to ask questions in this Board. Again, many thanks!

Please do continue to ask questions. I you haven't seen it yet, check out Host Hattie's sticky WELCOME TO THE CUNARD BOARD ... Here are some useful links. There you will find links to Cunard's FAQ site for the UK (ask.cunard.com) which is much more useful than the meager FAQ pages available from Cunard's US web site. There you will also find links to many other resources such as daily programmes to get a feel for what the on board schedule of activities will be like.

Edit: I see the sticky has been mentioned previously on this thread, so I am being repetitive here. But it's good to give that sticky another plug since it does point to a lot of valuable resource concerning Cunard.

Regards,

John

Edited by bluemarble

• 1 month later...
Hello Monticello,

What a great cruise you have selected.

We did the same type of cruise in the past except we flew to Southampton and joined the ship there to take the Norway Fjords cruise and then did the return TA across back to NYC.

Eventually you will see the tours appear in the Personalizer for each port with a full description, difficulty levels of walking and price. Also if a tour is lengthy, it will inform you if a meal is included like we experienced. On one tour we had a great salmon with dill sauce lunch beside the waterfall next to the restaurant.

We did not see too much about trolleys and trams except in one port that escapes me at this time to sightsee a Vista View.

Please take a lot of memory space on your cameras and video recorder because I just couldn't take enough to record and show on the return. Truly stir breathing views and scenery.

One day we sailed down the Gerainger Fjord and past the Famous Waterfalls including the Seven Sisters, the Suitor and the Bridal Veil visible by ship.

Please follow the previous info posted on the Meet & Greet. We met many wonderful people thru these meetings and a good source for exchanging ideas and info. We still keep in touch with them.

One thing that you will notice is the unusual on the top of Norway, the Midnight Sun never sets but rises halfway in the sky. Took a little getting use to throwing off the body internal clock.

You will have fond memories of this cruise.