Booking With US Sites & US TA's

Surely it is good customer relations for the cruise line to get information on visa/entry requirements for each port of call on every cruise for each nationality cruising? One enquiry, rather than separate enquiries by each cruiser. That is the way it used to be. With the onus being on the cruiser to get the relevant visas/approvals.

I think a cruise line's primary purpose is to provide a safe and enjoyable cruise.

Trying to keep abreast of visas requirement etc would be a major headache for them and if they gave out the wrong info, then they leave themselves open to be sued - can you imagine being sued by potentially hundreds of passengers per cruise?? Nup, not going to happen !!

There are so many variables not to mention the fact that countries can change their visa / entry requirements at a moment's notice.

What I do is look up the internet, and then email the embassy or phone them.

Thank u to everyone who has replied to my query.

Aussie Gal, it seems I need a tourist card for Panama and Mexico. Do u recall if your ship got it for u?

I've emailed the consulates to get the info in writing.

Cheers

ging466

No you don't - we just did, Aruba, Columbia, Panama Canal, Panama City, Costa Rica, Huatulco, Acapulco and Cabo San Lucas and did not need anything but our passports and our American Esta visa.

No you don't - we just did' date=' Aruba, Columbia, Panama Canal, Panama City, Costa Rica, Huatulco, Acapulco and Cabo San Lucas and did not need anything but our passports and our American Esta visa.[/quote']

Thankx very much for confirming this. Did u enjoy your cruise?

Cheers

ging466

Perhaps we need a thread where we can share

visa information for Australian and New Zealand cruisers

who are going on an overseas cruise?

It does tend to get a little confusing at times.

We would have to be careful though,

and only quote personal experiences

as it is sometimes quite different for our 2 countries.

Perhaps we need a thread where we can share

visa information for Australian and New Zealand cruisers

who are going on an overseas cruise?

It does tend to get a little confusing at times.

We would have to be careful though,

and only quote personal experiences

as it is sometimes quite different for our 2 countries.

Good idea, David.

Do we then get to share a small part of the TA's commission? :)

Good idea, David.Do we then get to share a small part of the TA's commission? :)

Thought about it a bit more this afternoon , and on second thoughts, it may be best to leave things as they are , encouraging members to ask about specific visa requirements ,

as and when they need advice.

I wouldnt like to put up a thread that someone relied on,

only to find that overnight, as in some cases,

visa requirements had changed.

Thought about it a bit more this afternoon , and on second thoughts, it may be best to leave things as they are , encouraging members to ask about specific visa requirements ,

as and when they need advice.

I wouldnt like to put up a thread that someone relied on,

only to find that overnight, as in some cases,

visa requirements had changed.

Agreed, after Eileen's response that none were needed for all her Panama ports of call recently. I really don't think many visas are actually required, when you are just cruising on a ship versus doing land tours.

In the rare cases when they were required, the TAs used to arrange (at a cost, as usually a courier was involved).

Agreed, after Eileen's response that none were needed for all her Panama ports of call recently. I really don't think many visas are actually required, when you are just cruising on a ship versus doing land tours.In the rare cases when they were required, the TAs used to arrange (at a cost, as usually a courier was involved).

Very true, and in most cases as you are only there for the day the cruise line will organise it for you as they usually hold your passport.....then charge you later:D

In all our travels the only visa I have had to get was for India,

and I know if I go to China , I will need one.

But they are strange, and each country is different.

When we went to Chile to join a cruise, we just walked through using our NZ passport, but Americans and Australians had to line up and pay an entry fee,before they went through passport control.

• 6 years later...

So now we have a body that has been resuscitated and no one really cares about it...

Although seeing as it's back up and running I've always found this site useful for establishing Visa requirements - I'm not suggesting/recommending that you purchase through them - just that it seems like an easy way to check requirements

and in response to the thread title - I use a US based agent and couldn't be any more satisfied with them

Edited by Bodogbodog

Very true, and in most cases as you are only there for the day the cruise line will organise it for you as they usually hold your passport.....then charge you later:D

In all our travels the only visa I have had to get was for India,

and I know if I go to China , I will need one.

But they are strange, and each country is different.

When we went to Chile to join a cruise, we just walked through using our NZ passport, but Americans and Australians had to line up and pay an entry fee,before they went through passport control.

Things change all the time. Australians (and other countries) no longer need a visa if transiting through either Beijing or Shanghai AIRPORTS within 72 hours. There is talk of extending this to cruise ports.

When we went to Chile we had to pay for a visa on arrival which was about US$100. This was in 2013.

When we were on the Celebrity Solstice from Barcelona to Singapore in 2012 we got our Indian visas. Many on the ship did not even though it was compulsory?? Indian authorities allowed passengers to pay about $50 and they got a visa on the spot. We had paid about $110!!

Don't try and board a ship for Brazil without a visa, you will be denied boarding. BUT ..... I think they may be changing this for the Olympic Games.

Do not rely on random information from cruisecritic members. It is always offered with the very best of intentions but not always correct or up-to-date.

Beryl

Edited by kobecat