Summary of winning bids on Priceline

dmk

Just won Westin LAX for $61 for a post-post cruise stay before we fly back to Germany. (10/7 - 10/8/2007) Cheapest Westin website prepaid rate for that night is $169.

Just a note - Westin has now been upgraded to 4* with Priceline, it's still being offered by Hotwire as a 3 1/2*. (With Hotwire it's probably the only 3 1/2* LAX showing the icon for laundry facilities).

The first post-cruise stay is in San Francisco at the Opal (Priceline win at $56 per night for 4 nights 9/29 - 10/3), and then the Residence Inn in Pleasanton, CA from 10/3 - 10/7 for $40 per night through Priceline - both

2 1/2* and with good to very good reviews at tripadvisor.

• 2 weeks later...

First time user of Priceline, so not sure if this is a good deal or not:

OMNI SAN DIEGO, 4 *'s, downtown location, 2 nights, pre-cruise, 3/24/07 for $150.00 per night. I had started at $90/night and went up from there.

Prices in the downtown area, or Coronado Island, (my 2 choices) for a 4* hotel seemed very high - low 300's and up - so this appears a good deal, but is it? I would appreciate your opinions. Has anyone stayed there?

Hyatt Regency Long Beach for Dec 22, 2007

$58.00 1 night

$73.81 with taxes

I was bidding for 3* in Long Beach to try to get the Coast Hotel. They upgraded me to a 4* and gave me the Hyatt Regency. I haven't researched this hotel, so not sure if it is a good deal... but about to go check.

Sorry to have posted this here if not appropriate, but the search function is not working at all for me at the moment, keeps giving a "fatal error" yuck!

Anyway, I am traveling with my wife and daughter, and am wondering if anyone has experience with the third person and priceline? They pretty clearly spell out that rates are for two adults, but I've been to hotels that either don't care or tack on an additional $10 for a roll away bed if you add another person...

Thanks

Royce

Sorry to have posted this here if not appropriate, but the search function is not working at all for me at the moment, keeps giving a "fatal error" yuck!

Anyway, I am traveling with my wife and daughter, and am wondering if anyone has experience with the third person and priceline? They pretty clearly spell out that rates are for two adults, but I've been to hotels that either don't care or tack on an additional $10 for a roll away bed if you add another person...

Thanks

Royce

Hi Royce,

I think the 3rd person is generally not a problem - depending on how young the child is. The difficulties arise in some cities - especially NYC - where the hotel rooms are often very small, in most cases too small even for a rollaway. If you're looking for a specific city, check out the lists at betterbidding (priceline and hotwire) or biddingfortravel (priceline) to track down what "probable" hotel you will land at a certain star level. If in doubt, call a couple of those hotels and ask them (without necessarily mentioning priceline) about the possibility of a rollaway. No guaranties, of course, since priceline customers don't always get the "best room in the house".

Royce, before we bid for accomm in Vancouver last Sept (for myself, dh and 2 dds aged 6&8 and for before and after the cruise) I had had a look to see what hotels seemed to being won and looked to see the bedding configuration offered - we managed to secure the Westin, as soon as our bid was accepted I emailed them politely saying I understood no guarantees etc etc but would it be possible to note our booking our requst for 2xdouble beds - they were absolutely delightful and upgraded us "to give you more room" without our asking! I know that was a one of but.... here's hoping we are as lucky for this year in Seattle - but I think the key is that we are going expecting the worse and hoping for the best - my 2c

Jane

You can't pick your hotel, but you can make an educated guess as to the hotel you will "win" by checking the lists at http://www.betterbidding.com or http://www.biddingfortravel.com for hotels previously "won". For hotels at hotwire, you can also increase your possibility of knowing which hotel, by comparing the amenity icons for "just" hotels with those of "package" hotels.

We have had fantastic luck with priceline and have stayed at many 4* hotels for less than the price of a 2*!:D

I got the Hyatt Regency Long Beach for one night (3/11/2007) for $65 on Priceline. It is a 4 star. My first bid, for $55 for a 4* in Long Beach was rejected, but I rebid and added the San Pedro location (there aren't any hotels that are classified 4* in San Pedro) and upped the price to $65 and it was accepted. With taxes and fees, the total is $82.01.

I probably should have tried an intermediary amount ($60 or $62) but I am pleased with the price I got. The best rate I could find for that same hotel for that date was $199.

I got the Crown Plaza Hotel in San Pedro - Feb 23/07, 1 night $65.00

3* hotel

Crown Plaza Hotel in L.A. - July 31/06, 1 night, $55.00, 3* hotel

Radisson Hotel, Honolulu - Sept 1/06, 2 nights, $75.00/night 3+* hotel

All the above do not include the regular taxes.

Priceliine is a great place to get a good deal. I have also rented cars at all the above locations for $12.00/day, with Hertz, Enterprize & Avis.

I went to Priceline and put in the city I wanted and the hotel I was interested in was listed, but the price was the same as Travelocity. So, how do you bid for a lower price?

You were looking at the part of priceline that is not "opaque". Usually next to the area where you enter city and date is a box marked "name your own price". That is how you get to the bidding part of priceline. The hotels you may "win" by bidding are not listed by name until you've made your bid and entered your credit card information. If you win your bid, then you've bought your nights -- no refunds, no exchanges!!:p

Do have a look at http://www.biddingfortravel.com and http://www.betterbidding.com to get more of an idea how these sites are run and a history of winning bids for the cities where you are wanting to book a hotel.

How far in advance do you try Priceline ? I have been trying Downtown Seattle for August 07 with no luck, using winning bid info from another site and here. The winning bids seem to be mostly in the next three months. Maybe I am trying too early. This is my first try on Priceline so any help would be appreciated.

I've had luck in various cities (not yet Seattle) as far out as 11 months or as last-minute as next day. Seattle may be difficult this far in advance because of all the planned cruise ship departures in the summer.

Don't give up -- keep trying every few days (you are allowed to bid every 24 hours without making any changes in stars or areas) and check in at betterbidding or biddingfortravel - as you've probably already done - to find out when others are having their successes.

How far in advance do you try Priceline ? I have been trying Downtown Seattle for August 07 with no luck, using winning bid info from another site and here. The winning bids seem to be mostly in the next three months. Maybe I am trying too early. This is my first try on Priceline so any help would be appreciated.

Mike - not sure if you saw my post above about my winning bid for Seattle in September - but have copied it below - several others got the same hotel for similar dates - hope it helps

Had been trying for a 4* up to $100 for a few weeks on Priceline without success so decided to go with 3* - several others have also been successful for same $$s and similar dates (but shorter stays):

Renaissance Seattle Hotel

3* star

1 room for 4 nights

9/19/07-9/23/07

$65 (total $307.99 with tax)

Best price on hotel web site $219 plus tax