Silhouette looks like she is at anchor and not docked at St Petersburg?

Rascal1

Hi, looking at ship trackers, the silhouette is just outside of St Petersburg at anchor and not docked. I think based on the itinerary she should have docked at 7am. The trackers may have it wrong but they are generally accurate - does anyone know if that's the case and why? Thanks.

They'e missed their first day. Just have tomorrow. Must be the size. Little Hamburg made it in, and she was behind them. She's docked downtown. Zuiderdam, Mein Schiff 1 and Britannia have made it out...EM

Wow - I was supposed to be on that cruise, but we had to change to the August 4th sailing. How disappointing that must be, but hopefully they will at least have the day tomorrow.

Mike

We were on the Silhouette August 2016 and also had itinerary changes in St Petersburg. After our 2 days there, we couldn’t leave due to high winds so we spent an extra night tho we couldn’t get off of the ship and ultimately missed Helsinki. Enjoy your time in St Petersburg.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow, I just saw it on Marinetraffic that the Silhouette is leaving (I checked as my DH is on the Seabourn Ovation). I´ve been on the Silhouette in July 2016 and we missed out the first day due to heavy storms and flooding in town. No ship was able to leave the port and we were not able to get in (plus no docking space as the others didn´t make it out).

Hamburg, Deutschland and Azamara Journey are downtown. Artania and Seabourn Ovation are docked in the cruise port. All of them are smaller ships.

steamboats

The disappointment is quite evident on the ship. The atmosphere is very subdued and public spaces are crowded. Finding places for two to sit together is near impossible. It’s too chilly to be outside. We booked this cruise for St. Petersburg as did most on the ship and hope to have the opportunity to go there again (but not on a cruise) but some of the much older couples are devastated. The captain said this has only happened once before, three years ago, and for only the first day. It’s interesting to read that it also happened in August, 2016.

Very disappointing, this was the reason we booked this cruise, for St. Petersburg. Upsetting too that Celebrity's response is "mother nature" so sorry.

So what would you suggest as a solution? I was up at 4 when they tried to make another attempt at getting in..it was quite scary. Cruise itineraries are always subject to change and safety always comes first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very disappointing, this was the reason we booked this cruise, for St. Petersburg. Upsetting too that Celebrity's response is "mother nature" so sorry.
Perhaps, you're not that familiar with cruising. No itinerary is guaranteed on any ship, on any sailing. The safety of the ship and it's passengers are of the utmost importance. Yes, it can be disappointing when you miss a favorite port, but that's cruising for you! Perhaps Celebrity will make some type of good will gesture to these passengers, but they are certainly not obliged to do so.

This happened on a cruise two years ago. I think it was the Silhouette and they only had the one day instead of two days. 6/7 July 2016. We were following them on the Eclipse, but were a couple of days behind them. We were there 9/10/11 July 2016 and fortunately for us we didn’t suffer the disappointment that the weather has created for others.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, I received a text from my friends who are currently on the Silhouette. Due to strong winds, the ship was not able to dock in St. Petersburg on either of the 2 days. They are now on their way to Warnemunde. It is unfortunate that they missed St. Petersburg (which, imho, is the crown jewel in the Baltic itineraries) but there is no guarantee that any ship can dock at a specific port. It rarely happens in St. Petersburg but it can and does occasionally occur.

Thank you for the updates, so sorry for everyone who booked the cruise because of St Petersburg, people will understandably be disappointed but glad to see people are supporting the Captain's decision due to safety. We were lucky and had gorgeous weather a few weeks ago but after seeing the sail in/out, some parts of the channel are really tight and that high winds don't mix well with big cruise ships in the tight bits. The following day after we went to Stockholm, a cruise ship behind us couldn't dock due to winds. Unfortunately it is mother nature and can happen. Hope you enjoy the rest of the cruise. We loved Warnemunde, really nice port to walk around and paddle in the sea.

Perhaps, you're not that familiar with cruising. No itinerary is guaranteed on any ship, on any sailing. The safety of the ship and it's passengers are of the utmost importance. Yes, it can be disappointing when you miss a favorite port, but that's cruising for you! Perhaps Celebrity will make some type of good will gesture to these passengers, but they are certainly not obliged to do so.

I imagine that port fees will be refunded? Otherwise, as disappointing as it is, def is the nature of cruising and Mother Nature!