Taking alcohol on board

Host Sharon

Host Hattie has got confirmation Twitter from P&O and it is Azura who are testing a drinks package.

I appreciate your genuine post and thank you for posting but can understand some people's scepticism because there are some wind up merchants posting too.

There was no scepticism from me my only gripe was that the op was told it had started and clearly it has not. It’s next week as I said above.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There was no scepticism from me my only gripe was that the op was told it had started and clearly it has not. It’s next week as I said above.

You are one of the posters I hold in high esteem and appreciate your P&O advice.

The op was right but a week early as our Host Hattie has confirmed on the P&O twitter message from P&O.

I was interested enough to send a Twitter direct message. This was the answer -

b6595d9126123723112a538438dfc58d.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Well I for one (probably in a minority) hope it is a success and that it gets introduced on all the ships soon

As I have said I do not think it has started. I think that the P&O person forgot the word, going.

Matters little unless you are on Azura in the next few weeks.

daiB, as one of the respected contributors to all things P&O can I ask, what will be the advantages and disadvantages of offering drinks packages. We have only ever cruised with P&O so not used to drinks packages. I assume they will be optional so presumably you would only consider a drinks package if financially beneficial to you.

I ask the question as some appear to be against the idea of P&O offering drinks packages.

Edited by P-L-B

daiB, as one of the respected contributors to all things P&O can I ask, what will be the advantages and disadvantages of offering drinks packages. We have only ever cruised with P&O so not used to drinks packages. I assume they will be optional so presumably you would only consider a drinks package if financially beneficial to you.

I ask the question as some appear to be against the idea of P&O offering drinks packages.

I am not entirely against AI however my reservations are linked to the British mentality when it comes to drinking. I have seen it in operation at a Warner’s hotel which resulted in long queues and most people drinking far more than they would normally.

On a recent Celebrity two night cruise from Southampton, about 6 to 8 weeks ago, a drinks package was included in the price. The result, as my friend, who was on the cruise, was mayhem. People drinking until the early hours and then getting up the next day and starting all over again. Large numbers of people not getting off the ship and just staying on board, just to drink. Apparently Americans who were on the ship doing a back to back were completely taken aback. Not a good advert for the U.K.

Now I am not saying that this would happen on P&O but it could especially on short cruises and if they started to include the drinks package in the fare. I would like to see the packages only being available for longer cruises and totally outlawed on 2/3 night cruises.

I am not entirely against AI however my reservations are linked to the British mentality when it comes to drinking. I have seen it in operation at a Warner’s hotel which resulted in long queues and most people drinking far more than they would normally.

On a recent Celebrity two night cruise from Southampton, about 6 to 8 weeks ago, a drinks package was included in the price. The result, as my friend, who was on the cruise, was mayhem. People drinking until the early hours and then getting up the next day and starting all over again. Large numbers of people not getting off the ship and just staying on board, just to drink. Apparently Americans who were on the ship doing a back to back were completely taken aback. Not a good advert for the U.K.

Now I am not saying that this would happen on P&O but it could especially on short cruises and if they started to include the drinks package in the fare. I would like to see the packages only being available for longer cruises and totally outlawed on 2/3 night cruises.

Totally agree with you about the 2-3 night cruises.

We have been on Celebrity with drinks packages and have not seen the behaviour you describe, but we haven't been for 2 or 3 nights which are always alcohol driven.

Thank you for your comments, very interesting.

For comparison on RCCL the free drinks packages are offered on sailings of 6 nights or more.

When the promotion is on the price of the cruise is increased by over £200pppweek so it is hardly free.

Additionally any drink over $13 you pay the additional amount.

I agree with daiB that drinks included would mean lower quality drinks and people drinking all day and night because It is included.

The only inclusive I would like to see is gratuities.

The alcoholic drinks package on Princess is $59pp +15% gratuity per day so at nearly $2000 for a 14nt cruise you have to be really serious drinkers to get value for money and there is a maximum of 15 drinks per person per day.

On balance and taking things into consideration we would probably prefer to continue to pay for our drinks as we go.

Although, I do not see a problem with alcoholic drink packages being available as an option on longer cruises.

I certainly would not like P&O to include them in the price of the cruise unless it's optional. Then you could compare the cruise price with a drinks package and non drinks package and see which is financially better for you.

Just wish I could understand why you can no longer order a bottle of spirits from room service.

Money.

When they stopped people bringing on unlimited alcohol there were some people who said "why worry you can buy bottles for the cabin" and ignored suggestions that P&O's next step would be to stop that to force people to pay bar prices.

In the nicest sense, whatever you wish is irrelevant.

Carnival Corp who operate the P&O brand have been offering AI for years across a whole other range of their brands, so they know what works and what does not; and by 'works' I mean what makes them the most money, and that is exactly what they will do.

On balance and taking things into consideration we would probably prefer to continue to pay for our drinks as we go.

Although, I do not see a problem with alcoholic drink packages being available as an option on longer cruises.

I certainly would not like P&O to include them in the price of the cruise unless it's optional. Then you could compare the cruise price with a drinks package and non drinks package and see which is financially better for you.

Even if the drink price is optional the classic trick to make the optional AI seem good value is to dramatically increase the price of the drinks. If you were offered an AI package at £25 a day you would probably decide it is not worth it with current P&O bar prices, but push up the bar prices and a lot of people will change their mind.

And such a strategy is a win, win, win, win for P&O. More profit from selling AI packages. More profit from selling higher priced drinks to those who don't buy AI. More profit from selling more cruises because lots of people want the certainty of fixed prices. More profit because you can still advertise a low fare, and then hide the AI addon in the small print as an aftersale.

Money.

When they stopped people bringing on unlimited alcohol there were some people who said "why worry you can buy bottles for the cabin" and ignored suggestions that P&O's next step would be to stop that to force people to pay bar prices.

Carnival Corp who operate the P&O brand have been offering AI for years across a whole other range of their brands, so they know what works and what does not; and by 'works' I mean what makes them the most money, and that is exactly what they will do.

Even if the drink price is optional the classic trick to make the optional AI seem good value is to dramatically increase the price of the drinks. If you were offered an AI package at £25 a day you would probably decide it is not worth it with current P&O bar prices, but push up the bar prices and a lot of people will change their mind.

And such a strategy is a win, win, win, win for P&O. More profit from selling AI packages. More profit from selling higher priced drinks to those who don't buy AI. More profit from selling more cruises because lots of people want the certainty of fixed prices. More profit because you can still advertise a low fare, and then hide the AI addon in the small print as an aftersale.

Lots of questions for anyone sailing 14 July then!

-how much is the package?

-any limits on number of drinks/price of drinks?

- how much have bar prices increased as a result if you’re not buying the AI package?

-is there only one package?

-does the package include non alcoholic drinks ie speciality coffees/teas/smoothies/soft drinks and juices?

I can’t believe this hasn’t been advised well ahead of a cruise sailing so someone must have all the info?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree,on other lines like RC the drinks package is for the full cruise duration and if 1 adult in the cabin has it every other adult in the cabin has to buy it too.

The drinks are single drinks and if you want a bottle of wine the drinks package only allows you 40% off the bottle cost.

I'm sure P&O would follow that format or similar so IMO you are best to buy your drinks when needed.

Graham

I agree,on other lines like RC the drinks package is for the full cruise duration and if 1 adult in the cabin has it every other adult in the cabin has to buy it too.

The drinks are single drinks and if you want a bottle of wine the drinks package only allows you 40% off the bottle cost.

I'm sure P&O would follow that format or similar so IMO you are best to buy your drinks when needed.

Graham

Well maybe not - what if the bar prices have risen so that it’s more economical to buy the package? My last RCI cruise on Ovation had wine by the glass at more that $14!!!

Money.

Very similar to RCI.

Their free drinks package promotion when offered is THE price you have to pay to book the cruise so everyone has it and they have bumped the cruise price up around £200 pppweek to cover it.

I am high loyalty on both P&O,Princess and RCCL so have experience of the drinks package and would never buy it unless I had no choice like when the free drinks package is included when I am booking.

- how much have bar prices increased as a result if you’re not buying the AI package?

-does the package include non alcoholic drinks ie speciality coffees/teas/smoothies/soft drinks and juices?

I can’t believe this hasn’t been advised well ahead of a cruise sailing so someone must have all the info?

They might do what other lines do and give you the hardsell once on board.

Very similar to RCI.

Their free drinks package promotion when offered is THE price you have to pay to book the cruise so everyone has it and they have bumped the cruise price up around £200 pppweek to cover it.

I am high loyalty on both P&O,Princess and RCCL so have experience of the drinks package and would never buy it unless I had no choice like when the free drinks package is included when I am booking.

I presume you take full advantage of the free drinks afforded you according to your higher tier membership then and therefore no need to ‘buy’ drinks?

I presume you take full advantage of the free drinks afforded you according to your higher tier membership then and therefore no need to ‘buy’ drinks?

Exactly.

As a Diamond plus member on RC there is a 3 hour unlimited free drinks cocktail hour in the Diamond Lounge or Concierge lounge so the drinks package is little use for us but on a cruise last year we had the FREE drinks package with the added cruise fare increase which I didn't want.

For comparison on RCCL the free drinks packages are offered on sailings of 6 nights or more.

When the promotion is on the price of the cruise is increased by over £200pppweek so it is hardly free.

Additionally any drink over $13 you pay the additional amount.

I agree with daiB that drinks included would mean lower quality drinks and people drinking all day and night because It is included.

The only inclusive I would like to see is gratuities.

I agree completely. If P&O make a drink package inclusive in the cost of the cruise and increase the cost by £200 pppw we will not be going with them as our current bar bills are usually around £150 per week for 2 of us so a subsidy of £250 per week for other people's drinking.

Exactly.

As a Diamond plus member on RC there is a 3 hour unlimited free drinks cocktail hour in the Diamond Lounge or Concierge lounge so the drinks package is little use for us but on a cruise last year we had the FREE drinks package with the added cruise fare increase which I didn't want.

The RC cocktail hour is every night too.

I am on the 14 July sailing and have not been informed of any changes to the drinks packages already offered. As stated previously, my TA has spoken to P & O who have categorically denied any changes, either on Azura or any other ship. I will report back next week upon my return.

I am on the 14 July sailing and have not been informed of any changes to the drinks packages already offered. As stated previously, my TA has spoken to P & O who have categorically denied any changes, either on Azura or any other ship. I will report back next week upon my return.

I have a family member going on Azura next month so will ask them to check also. It may be a case that they intended to commence the trial on 14th July, but it has been delayed. The same happened when the new room service menu was rolled out last year. We were supposed to be on the first cruise with the new menu (Aurora) but it was delayed.

Thank you, that would be useful.

They might do what other lines do and give you the hardsell once on board.

They wouldn’t have to sell that hard [emoji23] I’m sure we’d get our monies worth 🤪

I’m all for choice so if they want to offer an AI then fine but I do have some reservations. I hope for example that they don’t offer it on short voyages which are already booze cruises.

Fred Olsen limit the % of passengers who can buy AI on any voyage and move the cost up from £15pppn to £34 for voyages under 4 days. Something like that seems to work. I suspect that pando will charge much, much more.

I also think that the recent restrictions on the alcohol you can take onboard and the more recently reported removal of the facility to buy a bottle of spirits once on the ship were all moving towards pushing something new.

He presto we now have an AI trial.

The only question is, if successful, will it be a choice or will the prices for all cruises go up by the cost of AI.

If it is a bolt on cost, any bets on by just how much the other drinks prices will rise!

P&O have definitely changed the passenger demographic they are aiming for, only time will tell if it works out for them. For every new person they attract they will put off some of the more traditional cruise passengers with all the recent changes.