Considering Cruise

MONTICELLO

Please.....what is a sticky?

A "sitcky" is a message thread that one of the forum moderators has marked so that it does not age and move down the list of message threads but rather stays frozen at the top of the message list. The moderators do this for threads that they want to be always visible at the top of the first page of forum messages. Stickies are marked with a thumbtack/push pin icon next to them. The specific sticky we have been discussing on this thread is the one titled "WELCOME TO THE CUNARD BOARD ... Here are some useful links". This is the fifth thread on the current list of topics in this Cunard forum

Still haven't found Meet and greet info

As Host Hattie has indicated, anything related to a "meet and greet" will need to be arranged by those contributing to the roll call thread for your voyage. Host Hattie also previously posted the link to your roll call. Here it is again for your reference.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2456332

Regards,

John

Edited by bluemarble

I am also considering our first Cunard cruise; an eastbound TA in May 2018 in the QM2. Some questions:

1. Is there a walking/jogging track? How many laps to a mile?

2. Is the fitness center adequate for the number of passengers?

3. We would be in a QG5. Is Deck 9 better than Deck 10?

4. How many formal nights for 7 days' cruising?

5. Are there group games like Trivia or Liars Club?

Thanks for all recommendations/tips that can help us!

Regarding #2 - The Fitness Center is not as large as QV, but it is adequate. I just got off QM2 today. Use the FC everyday. It was never near capacity between 11 AM and 2 PM.

Regarding #1 - Deck 7 is 1.1 miles for 3 laps. One problem: Cunard is very libertarian when it comes to the direction of travel. Most people walk/run anti-clockwise, but a large percentage insist on walking clockwise. Not sure why...

Regarding #3 - Look at the deck plans. Do you want to be close the concierge lounge? Or the Grills afterdeck? Or the Commodore Club?

Thanks for your reply, Captiveguru. Will be fun to briskly walk into somebody coming in front of you! Since we've never been on Cunard, I wouldn't be able to tell which would be more favorable re: #3. Thanks again, V.

Hi Monticello -

Is this your cruise - http://www.cunard.com/cruise-search/book-a-cruise/cruises/qm/2341-m726-sou1-sou2/

In terms of Norway excursions, deciding what to do in Flam is the priority - if you want to ride the Flam railway (which you can do as a ride to Myrdal and back) or as part of Norway in a Nutshell (this is a combination tour which includes riding the railway, and visiting other small towns near Flam) please plan this as soon as you book your cruise. The tickets do tend to sell out during the height of the tourist season, so you should book this as soon as possible. You can check the date you are sailing on the railway website and possibly call Cunard to check for availability prior to booking your cruise. Please allow extra time since this is a possible anchor (tender) port. The railway station is a 5 minute walk from the cruise terminal, so you don't need to allocate much time for that. If you are just riding the railway to Myrdal and back, there is no need to book this through the cruise line unless it is sold out directly from the line. The tickets are available directly from the railway here: https://www.nsb.no/en/our-destinations/our-regional-railway-lines/flamrailway .

Norway in a Nutshell is possible to do independently, but that is a bit more logistically involved than just riding the railroad and people on the Baltic board may be able to help you organize that or you might be able to research that on TripAdvisor or in a guidebook.

In Flam, we also had a lovely afternoon visiting a goat farm that was organized by Fjord Safari: http://www.fjordsafari.com . They took us to visit a goat farm, and then eat local cheeses and food in the town that inspired Frozen.

In Olden, you should definitely visit the new Loen Skylift, which just opened on May 20th. https://www.loenskylift.com .

We were there on a cloudy day and still had really great views. It must be amazing on a sunny, clear day and we were told that there are even parachuters who take off from the top of the mountain on good weather days.

An employee told me that the cruise lines will not be able to offer excursions there for another year, since they plan their excursions a full year ahead of time. We contacted Olden Adventures for transport, and they did a great job. They have shuttle buses that run very close from the port (about a block away in the petrol station) every hour and return every half hour. It is 6 kilometers from the Olden port, and the ride itself is 5 minutes. There is a nice restaurant on top with beautiful views, along with several large viewing platforms. There are advanced hiking trails available through Loen Active.

Olden adventures also runs shuttle buses to Briksdal Glacier right next to the buses to the Loen Skylift, so you can easily arrange both activities with them. Please note that the glacier has been affected by global warming, so it is not the most impressive glacier in the world, but the bus ride there and hike to the glacier are really lovely, so this is a very worthwhile excursion. The entire excursion usually takes 3 1/2 hours. Travelers with disabilities or those with children can rent a troll car (reservations ahead of time are needed in May and October, and recommended at other times) at http://www.en.briksdalsbre.no/troll-cars/ . The troll car is a large golf cart that takes you most of the way along the hike to the glacier - there is still quite a bit of walking required if you want to get to the glacier, but my 2 year old was able to manage it.

There are a couple of pictures from the Loen Skylift on the bottom of my other forum post here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2504699

In Stavanger, your big question is whether or not to hike Pulpit rock (we didn't due to our visiting Norway with a 2 and 6 year old). People online have stated that the hike itself isn't rated difficult, although it is a bit long and during the height of the tour season you can get stuck behind very slow climbers. Hiking Pulpit Rock can be planned independently, but you would want to consult the Baltic board or research online to work out the logistics (I didn't spend a lot of time researching this, but believe you need transportation to/from Pulpit Rock plus time to hike up and down. Depending on how long your ship is in port this day and what time the local boats run to Pulpit Rock means whether or not you should sign up for a ship tour to not worry about the logistics). If you stay in the town of Stavanger, it is very small and manageable with and Old Town and a few small museums. You can also take a boat ride to see Pulpit Rock, but the highlight of that is the climb. We had a nice time on our boat cruise, but some reviewers were disappointed because it duplicated their view from the ship (we were chasing small kids around and didn't see as much of sail in/sail out as most cruisers so I cannot comment on whether they are correct).

In Bergen, you will want to take the funicular to Mt. Floyen, but please try to plan this so the weather is good while you are there - the weather was dreadful the day we were there and we couldn't see much. Please purchase your tickets ahead of time online to avoid some lines (on clear warm days there will be long lines to get to the funicular, but you can at least avoid the lines to purchase tickets if you buy them ahead of time. You will be fairly close to the fish market, and we had a nice fresh seafood lunch in one of the stalls (they have blankets and heaters so even if it is cold and rainy you can try the market). Depending on where you dock, your are 20 or 30 minute walk to Mt. Floyen. There are also a number of shuttles that travel around Bergen - the HOHO red buses, or there is a museum shuttle that will get you fairly close https://en.visitbergen.com/things-to-do/museum-shuttle-bus-p1685153 . It did not appear that public transportation could take you from the port to the funicular.

Oh, and if you stop at Southampton and don't want to go to London - this company did a great job providing a tour of Stonehenge and the Salisbury Cathedral: https://www.salisburystonehengetours.co.uk . The tour guide was extremely knowledgeable, and even had books on Stonehenge to try to explain their history. History buffs would love this tour.

If you do go to London, you might want to price out their transportation: https://www.twelvetransfers.co.uk - they did a very good job of picking us up from Heathrow and getting us to our hotel in London.

Edited by kitkat343

Thank you so much kitkat for your response.

Our cruise is actually M725 leaving NY on July 6. Norway is the 2nd of 3weeks. So very exciting. We have not booked anything yet, because finances dictate that we use our OBC, but your information and suggestions will be of great value.

We do have some specific questions about QM2 if you can help.

Once again, THANKS.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since this my first inside cabin, I am very concerned about amount of space (closet and drawers). How can I find that out?

Can I use magnetic hooks on all walls and doors?

Can I bring wine on board from each port?

On Masquerade and Roaring Twenties nights, does one wear costumes to dinner?

Is there any way to see the nightly entertainment in advance?

Thank you Hattie

Since I will be celebrating a Very Big birthday (the reason for this cruise), I'm not planning on hiking.

Do you think the Loen sky lift is worth $58.00 per person?

Not planning to visit London again. Anything special to see or do in SouthHampton? We've done Stonehenge.

I'm aware of the official policy regarding bringing wine on board, but I've also seen posts stating that some have brought more and nothing was confiscated. Your opinion?

I have lost count of the number of wine bottles I have brought on board in the past 3 years. Last month I boarded in Southampton with 6 bottles in a fabric wine carrier. In December I bought at least one bottle in each port in Spain and Portugal.

Many people wear their outfits to dinner, although it is hard to eat with the mask on.

Not sure what you mean by "see" the entertainment in advance. Rehearsals are not open. But there is always a good description of the entertainment in the daily program and during the morning TV show.

Can I use magnetic hooks on all walls and doors?

Last Christmas we brought some magnetic decorations for the first time to decorate our door. We were surprised to discover that magnets won't stick to the cabin door (on QM2 at least). We put them on the adjacent wall instead.

Carry on wine or liquor, as you please.

A few do wear their costumes to dinner but most people don't to my observation.

You won't see the shows in advance but the Entertainment Director has a morning program on the in-room TV and he/she frequently will interview that night's guest headline entertainer.

Do you think the Loen sky lift is worth $58.00 per person?
On a clear day it is a spectacular view but you'll need to keep an eye on the weather. On our cruise, the roads were closed in Geiranger, so we weren't able to see all of their viewpoints and the weather was a what the ship's employees described as one of the worst days they'd ever seen in Bergen, so we couldn't see anything off the Funicular in Bergen. So I think it depends on where else you are going and how the weather is everywhere because if the weather is great on your whole trip, maybe you can get spectacular views more cheaply elsewhere. But this was pretty special and lovely.

Not planning to visit London again. Anything special to see or do in SouthHampton? We've done Stonehenge.
We did Stonehenge and the Salisbury Cathedral since it was our first time to Southampton. We liked the Salisbury Cathedral, which also has one of four copies in existence of the Magna Carta The Salisbury Cathedral was very nice but someone else might be able to give you better advice for what to do with your day in Southampton. I didn't do a lot of research about this since I thought Stonehenge would be great for my kids and once I found the Salisbury Cathedral and Stonehenge tour I stopped researching excursions. You might want to post this question on the board for England, since they may have better answers. I think you might be about an hour drive from Southampton to Windsor Castle, and hopefully someone on the Europe board can advise you if you can do both. If cost is an issue, they might be able to tell you if you can visit the Salisbury Cathedral via train and skip a tour altogether.

• 2 weeks later...