Renewing our annual travel insurance....

Dajo5601

Snowy01, I remember one year when I had bought European travel insurance and then found a good last-minute Transatlantic, so had to get Worldwide cover. I was able to have it added on for a small price. If you are regularly not taking advantage of the worldwide part, you could have a conversation next time you renew, to see if it's possible to add it on as and when needed.

Worth considering ...thanks!

What if taken ill/ having a fall during an excursion on land?

I would say covered as your in that country, heard someone tried to use the EHIC card while on a ship when they became unwell, they got a big bill..[emoji50]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For those of you considering taking insurance which excludes pre-existing conditions, you should note that it is a condition of travel with Cunard, that your insurance covers all pre-existing conditions. Not sure how they would know or what they would do about it though...

Nationwide also do a worldwide annual travel insurance that comes free with their Flexplus current account for account holder and partner. There is another Nationwide current account that comes with free Europe wide travel insurance. We think that the worldwide cover is a great deal , even with additional payment for pre-existing conditions ..... but, as a lot of our holidays are within Europe, we are probably paying more for the pre-existing conditions as they are based on worldwide cover (?).

Nationwide only provide worldwide travel insurance only on Flexplus account which you have to pay £10 a month for the current account. You can no longer get travel insurance of any kind on Flexaccount unless you applied for it before December 2016.

I've had a Nationwide Flex Account for quite a few years but have never even considered the holiday insurance offered and have always bought specific trip holiday insurance (although this year I have bough annual, just because we have/had 2 holidays booked and there was nothing really in it).

The reason I've also discounted the NW policy is:

a) I don't pay for the account. Therefore I have concluded that the policy will be next to useless. You get what you pay for in my book, so I've paid nothing, so I get nothing.

b) As soon as you declare any existing medical conditions, I expect a whopping premium. To me it looks like a ruse; i.e. when you ring up and they say that will be an extra whatever pounds, many people will accept it, because they still like the idea of getting something for "free", even if it's actually cost them more then a specific policy.

I know I sound highly cynical. That's because I'm a highly cynical person.

I've had a Nationwide Flex Account for quite a few years but have never even considered the holiday insurance offered and have always bought specific trip holiday insurance (although this year I have bough annual, just because we have/had 2 holidays booked and there was nothing really in it).

The reason I've also discounted the NW policy is:

a) I don't pay for the account. Therefore I have concluded that the policy will be next to useless. You get what you pay for in my book, so I've paid nothing, so I get nothing.

b) As soon as you declare any existing medical conditions, I expect a whopping premium. To me it looks like a ruse; i.e. when you ring up and they say that will be an extra whatever pounds, many people will accept it, because they still like the idea of getting something for "free", even if it's actually cost them more then a specific policy.

I know I sound highly cynical. That's because I'm a highly cynical person.

Re point b) ..... that's what I also expect to happen ( but then, I am a highly cynical person, too). This is our first year with the Nationwide insurance -- we'll see how it goes. I have certainly found many cases online where people report that they were happy when it came to actually claiming.

On side note to all UK cruisers, don't rely on the EHIC medical card while on a cruise as it does no cover us even while cruising the Mediterranean as a cruise ship is its own floating country..

True, while the ship is sailing when any treatment will be on the ship and should be covered by insurance. You could certainly be put ashore at your request at the next port though and use a local hospital under the EHIC scheme.

DAVID.

We have had a Nationwide account for 35 yrs and I recently checked with their insurers any additional cost to the free travel insurance with regard existing medical conditions .

An extra £82 was quoted .

You have hit the nail on the head there. Their "free" travel insurance is actually £82 (for you at least). So not free then at all !

Edited by ToadOfToadHall

If anyone is looking for quotes try allclearcruise they are the essayist I've come across they save your quotes and all the details you put in for amending not like the others where you have to reinsert all conditions.

• 3 months later...

Hi All

I posted earlier about just purchasing travel insurance for a transatlantic back to back with All Clear Insurance. I disclosed all my mother's pre existing conditions, one of which was chronic bronchitis. However on day 8 (first day out from the return journey from NY to SO, she became very poorly and I had to take her to the Medical Centre. She was diagnosed with Pnuemonia and subsequently was kept in the medical centre for the rest of the return trip as she was very poorly, and then was transferred to Southampton Hospital directly on docking in Southampton. Final bill an eye watering $20,500! Hopefully this will be covered by the Insurance. The problem I have found so far with this insurance is that now my mother is in the UK (Southampton) they are classing this as 'home' and have refused to repatriate her to the policy booklet definition of 'home' i.e. her residential address (300 miles away from Southampton) as she did not start her illness in a foreign country (even though it was mid Atlantic and impossible to repatriate from there). I am here alone with her, I am having to stay in Guest Houses every night, and as we are miles from home I have no transport, as we came down on the Cruise Connect Coach. I have emailed and phoned All Clear and its two 'partners' Reactive Claims and Mapfre Assistance at least once a day, more so on many of the days all to no avail. They are insisting that the NHS are now responsible for arranging transport home for my mother who is still suffering the after effects and at aged 85 is still very weak and fragile. I find this absolutely disgusting and can only say no wonder the NHS is struggling! Therefore the moral of this story is do buy insurance but remember Buyer Beware!!

Does anyone in North America take out Cunard Care? I looked into this year and was surprised to learn that it only covers the time onboard. I used one of the bigger companies and checked in person at the Sales Office and they confirmed it does not cover door-to-door which is what I had wanted. Has anybody else got some experience of this? It seems very strange.

Not many can say they have not had a doctor prescription in the last 12 months.

The Nationwide policy is invalid if you have.

David

All it says is that if you have had a prescription, "You will not be AUTOMATICALLY covered for any claims relating DIRECTLY to THAT medical condition".

Hi All

I posted earlier about just purchasing travel insurance for a transatlantic back to back with All Clear Insurance. I disclosed all my mother's pre existing conditions, one of which was chronic bronchitis. However on day 8 (first day out from the return journey from NY to SO, she became very poorly and I had to take her to the Medical Centre. She was diagnosed with Pnuemonia and subsequently was kept in the medical centre for the rest of the return trip as she was very poorly, and then was transferred to Southampton Hospital directly on docking in Southampton. Final bill an eye watering $20,500! Hopefully this will be covered by the Insurance. The problem I have found so far with this insurance is that now my mother is in the UK (Southampton) they are classing this as 'home' and have refused to repatriate her to the policy booklet definition of 'home' i.e. her residential address (300 miles away from Southampton) as she did not start her illness in a foreign country (even though it was mid Atlantic and impossible to repatriate from there). I am here alone with her, I am having to stay in Guest Houses every night, and as we are miles from home I have no transport, as we came down on the Cruise Connect Coach. I have emailed and phoned All Clear and its two 'partners' Reactive Claims and Mapfre Assistance at least once a day, more so on many of the days all to no avail. They are insisting that the NHS are now responsible for arranging transport home for my mother who is still suffering the after effects and at aged 85 is still very weak and fragile. I find this absolutely disgusting and can only say no wonder the NHS is struggling! Therefore the moral of this story is do buy insurance but remember Buyer Beware!!

That's awful! My heart goes out to you. Hope your Mum gets better soon.

That's awful! My heart goes out to you. Hope your Mum gets better soon.

Thanks Julie

I have now transported my mother home at a cost of £600 for a private taxi. Southampton Hospital would not take responsibility for her transport home, neither would the insurer. She is not yet fully recovered as I have been told by the doctor it will take at least 6 weeks for it to clear completely. I keep asking myself, what if I wasn't with her? Would they all abandon an 85 year old with pneumonia to find her own way home? :mad:

I am glad your mother is now home and hope she progresses well.

From experience, I know that insurances companies may try to wriggle out of paying out if possible. It is difficult to understand how they can say your mother did not become ill abroad when she was mid Atlantic. If you have the energy and time pursue All Clear and even involve the ombudsman if they do not cough up. I appreciate your energy and time may be taken up with other things and it takes both of these to follow through. Insurance companies know that and they often put people off. All the best to you after a worrying and trying time.

I am glad your mother is now home and hope she progresses well.

From experience, I know that insurances companies may try to wriggle out of paying out if possible. It is difficult to understand how they can say your mother did not become ill abroad when she was mid Atlantic. If you have the energy and time pursue All Clear and even involve the ombudsman if they do not cough up. I appreciate your energy and time may be taken up with other things and it takes both of these to follow through. Insurance companies know that and they often put people off. All the best to you after a worrying and trying time.

Many thanks for your good wishes. I have today sent off all the required forms and documents they have asked for. What angers me is that she took ill in the middle of the Atlantic and had no possibility of being repatriated to a hospital. Therefore by landing in the UK by ship, albeit still very ill so had to be admitted immediately into Southampton hospital, the insurers stated 'we only repatriate from Abroad, now she is in an NHS hosptial in the UK it is their responsibility to get her to her home address'. I think that this attitude by multi millon pound insurance companies is one of the reasons the NHS is suffering financial hardship; as you state, these companies take your money quickly enough but then try their utmost to wriggle out of their responsibilities.