Venice suggestions on where to stay for a few days

azhadley

We will be heading to Venice 3 days before our cruise sails. Any suggestion on reasonable, nice accommodations with access to transportation and not too far from the sights? We will be there for a June 2 Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas trip

I stayed at the Hotel Olimpia, operated by Best Western. Charming, clean and well maintained, located facing one of the smaller canals close to the Piazzale Rome (the transportation hub for Venice), great service, helpful staff, reasonably priced ... for Venice!! .... nice breakfast buffet. And an important feature ... it has an elevator!

If the opportunity to visit Venice again pre or post cruise occurs, I'd stay there again.

We will be heading to Venice 3 days before our cruise sails. Any suggestion on reasonable, nice accommodations with access to transportation and not too far from the sights? We will be there for a June 2 Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas trip

I stayed at the Hilton Molino Stucky and loved it. There are free water taxis that take you to 2 drop off locations, and another (small charge) that goes directly to the cruise ship port.

I stayed at the Hilton Molino Stucky and loved it. There are free water taxis that take you to 2 drop off locations, and another (small charge) that goes directly to the cruise ship port.

Agree...we have stayed there and enjoyed it. Nice place, and the only hotel in Venice with a pool.

I suggest taking a look at how many ships are going to be in port during the time you will be in Venice - that will play into how much you're going to have to pay for a hotel right in Venice. We were there in late October; the day we were sailing, there were 7 ships in port - that meant hotel rooms were at premium rates, and were hard to find, as people were paying whatever they needed, just to have a place to sleep.

We chose to stay just slightly out of Venice, in the suburb of Mestre; it is a 10 minute train ride from the heart of Venice, is close to the airport, and we would stay there in a heartbeat if we go back to Venice. We stayed at the Hotel Al Vivit; it is located on a beautiful piazza where there are restaurants and bars, but is quiet at night so you can rest after full days of touring. The breakfast is wonderful (included in the price of the room), and the people at the front desk are so accommodating and helpful when asking for tour information.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

http://www.hotelantichefigure.it/

On the Grand Canal, walk out the door and turn right or left to walk across a bridge and there you will find multi day tickets for the water taxis and water buses that can take you all over Venice, you will see everything and know what you want to come back to.

Or walk out the door and take a gondola.

We stayed at the Hotel Antiche Figure. Right across from the train station which is a place where all the boat lines stop. The outdoor patio is right on a canal. Comfortable room; great staff; wonderful breakfast. It also has an elevator. You are also a bit away from the super touristy area if that is possible in Venice. I gave it 5 stars on TripAdvisor.

There is no reason to insist that you stay in the expensive central area of Venice as the boat public transport system in Venice and you can get almost anywhere easily and quickly by boat. Once you figure out the system which is easy to do, you can feel like a Venetian as you confidently use the boats to get anywhere you want to.

DON

We stayed at Casa Rezzonico in the Dorsoduro area. It took us 10 minutes to walk to the cruise terminal from our hotel with our luggage (with very few bridges to cross). The hotel was comfortable, with a lovely breakfast, and an easy walk to all the sights.

After our cruise, we also stayed one night, but had trouble finding something in Venice that was reasonable, not booked, or that was willing to book for one night. So, we went to Murano and stayed at Murano Palace. It was fantastic! The owner is wonderful and the hotel was lovely. And, we got to take a boat to the airport the next day as Murano is half way there. Some lovely restaurants on the island, which is quiet in the evenings. We were there this past October.

http://www.hotelantichefigure.it/

On the Grand Canal, walk out the door and turn right or left to walk across a bridge and there you will find multi day tickets for the water taxis and water buses that can take you all over Venice, you will see everything and know what you want to come back to.

Or walk out the door and take a gondola.

Wonderful boutique hotel

I enjoy searching for hotels that have some local character when I travel, as well as being well located. For me, it's very important to be IN the center of wherever I'm staying, not out in the periphery somewhere. On my first trip to Venice many years ago (with my parents) we stayed in Mestre and I vowed never again.

I just got back from a trip to Venice about a week ago. We considered Palazzo Stern but ended up staying at the Palazzo Sant'Angelo, which is on the Grand Canal about equidistant from Rialto and San Marco. There is a vaporetto stop within 50 yards of the front of the hotel, with no steps, and Alilaguna's orange line also has a stop there which makes it a cinch coming in from the airport with luggage.

The hotel itself is run by an Italian company and we thought the staff were charming. Our room, was oversized (as was the bathroom) by European standards and well appointed in Venetian style. There was a desk and chair, two additional chairs and a cocktail table, as well as a separate closet area. We didn't opt to pay for a view on the Grand Canal as we were out and about all day (and most evenings). Breakfasts were very good, and the front desk also gave us some recommendations for nearby restaurants.

All in all, we thought it was a great hotel and at a reasonable (for Venice) price, albeit in the off-season. I almost hate to recommend it as I'm sure it will become very popular and the prices will go up! :loudcry: