Ovation review

pearlsz

Mine is up along with others of the inaugural Australian cruise. Happy to answer any questions. I also have copies of the Cruise Compass but I can't seem to format them so they'll be small enough to upload yet readable - suggestions welcome.

http://www.cruisecritic.com.au/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=556608&et_cid=2861228&et_rid=17491418&et_referrer=Boards

Thanks for the review, I look forward to comparing your thoughts and experience when I board in just under two weeks.

Hopefully some of the organising issues have been resolved or streamlined at least. I am also My time and am somewhat apprehensive about how well it will work, I like to eat around 7.30-8pm which is normally a bit quieter as most people prefer to eat earlier or go for late traditional. I was unable to book for the I-fly and North Star but have been assured we can book once on board, hopefully this is true and being a 10 night cruise, we should have a better chance of getting to try them than on your shorter cruise.:D

Thanks for the review, I look forward to comparing your thoughts and experience when I board in just under two weeks.

Hopefully some of the organising issues have been resolved or streamlined at least. I am also My time and am somewhat apprehensive about how well it will work, I like to eat around 7.30-8pm which is normally a bit quieter as most people prefer to eat earlier or go for late traditional. I was unable to book for the I-fly and North Star but have been assured we can book once on board, hopefully this is true and being a 10 night cruise, we should have a better chance of getting to try them than on your shorter cruise.:D

Occasional iFly spots open up, the thing to do is check the app regularly. North Star shouldn't be a problem, same thing, keep checking. There's also a stand-by line where you can just rock up and wait.

Be aware that in the MDR the menu uses the American term "entrée" to mean main (and "starter" for appetiser). Don't order two entrees LOL

The ship really is amazing, I'll look forward to hearing about your trip. Enjoy!

Occasional iFly spots open up, the thing to do is check the app regularly. North Star shouldn't be a problem, same thing, keep checking. There's also a stand-by line where you can just rock up and wait.

Be aware that in the MDR the menu uses the American term "entrée" to mean main (and "starter" for appetiser). Don't order two entrees LOL

The ship really is amazing, I'll look forward to hearing about your trip. Enjoy!

Cheers, I have often ordered numerous appetisers/starters and occasionally two entrees/mains. Mostly to make a surf and turf with the Lobster and beef wellington/fillet mignon.:D

Hi Pearlsz... sailing 14 nights in Jan- is formalwear required at all? Thanks

It's optional. We had one night which was a "Royal Evening - Dress Your Best". That was also the night of the Captains reception. I didn't see many tuxs but plenty of men wore suits and women cocktail dresses.

It's optional. We had one night which was a "Royal Evening - Dress Your Best". That was also the night of the Captains reception. I didn't see many tuxs but plenty of men wore suits and women cocktail dresses.

Our party are dressing up for the formal evenings, us guys are bringing our tuxedos and the girls will glam it up as well.:D

Although as you said, it is not strictly adhered to on Royal.

Is there really no shampoo or conditioner provided?

We had a superior balcony cabin and there was none! There are a couple of guest size cakes of hand soap and a gel dispenser in the shower. BYO as the shop is very poorly stocked as well.

Our party are dressing up for the formal evenings, us guys are bringing our tuxedos and the girls will glam it up as well.:D

Although as you said, it is not strictly adhered to on Royal.

Sounds great. I really like the formal nights. Great idea about the "surf & turf" :) There was a charge for lobster in the MDR though, not sure if it turned up on the menu otherwise.

Another thing I appreciated was that the photographers are not always in your face like they are on Princess.

We had a superior balcony cabin and there was none! There are a couple of guest size cakes of hand soap and a gel dispenser in the shower. BYO as the shop is very poorly stocked as well.

Thanks for that - I would never have thought of taking shampoo and conditioner to a hotel or a cruise ship. The reviews I have been reading are pretty poor - it's good to hear that you had a great time. I'm taking two grandchildren so do hope the queues are not going to be too horrendous for everything.

Regarding this question: " There are two other dining rooms with the same menu but not available on My Time. Why?? "

That's because they're dedicated to traditional dining bookings. Similarly the restaurants you used are not available to traditional dining bookings.

Thanks for that - I would never have thought of taking shampoo and conditioner to a hotel or a cruise ship. The reviews I have been reading are pretty poor - it's good to hear that you had a great time. I'm taking two grandchildren so do hope the queues are not going to be too horrendous for everything.

No shampoo is the norm on Royal ships unless you book a suite.

However I much prefer to take my own shampoo as I prefer to use shampoo/conditioner that suits my hair type.

Thanks for the review Pearlsz,

I read a few of the other reviews as well, a mixed bunch but the negative ones were either typical of new cruisers or of repo cruises/first cruises in a new country.

I recall Voyagers first cruise or two in Australia after coming from Asia had many of the same staffing issues. Many of the staff have never worked out of Australia before, they need to adapt from the Asian passengers style to the Australian one & there is quite a difference apparantly.

That's why I never book first cruise out of the gates after re positioning! ;)

Mic, I think you are on the cruise before us. Will you be doing any live posts? I'm interested in hearing about the Diamond Lounge & if they are doing anything different regards the Dining set up once she is sailing out of Sydney before we board.

I tried several times to confirm with the RCCL head office staff member that told me they would reintroduce Dynamic Dining after the repo cruise, but so far no reply - I cc'd the last email to one of the managers as well asking them to clarify one way or the other.

Thinking of booking one of the meal packages anyway as want to try the new speciality restaurants.

Mic, I think you are on the cruise before us. Will you be doing any live posts? I'm interested in hearing about the Diamond Lounge & if they are doing anything different regards the Dining set up once she is sailing out of Sydney before we board.

I tried several times to confirm with the RCCL head office staff member that told me they would reintroduce Dynamic Dining after the repo cruise, but so far no reply - I cc'd the last email to one of the managers as well asking them to clarify one way or the other.

Thinking of booking one of the meal packages anyway as want to try the new speciality restaurants.

I will be doing a review on my return and my wife may be doing some live posts as we go.

Regarding DD, disappointingly, t is not going to happen. :(

Dazza is on the ship now and posts on the roll calls, they have done B2B2B and has clarified quite a few issues for people.

Apparently it is better to book the dining packages onboard as you can get a 3 restaurant package for $85 USD.

Edited by MicCanberra

W're on the 30th Dec Cruise as well. Was able to get a North Star booking for 11:30 on the first sea day and they only let you book one session online. But DW was hoping they would run North Star whilst we were going through the sounds assuming the weather is kind and we actually make it) in NZ. That would be spectacular. Will see once onboard if we can snag a session or badger our Concierge to see if they can help.

Would also be great to do North Star at night or at sunset/sunrise but probably asking too much!

Another thing I appreciated was that the photographers are not always in your face like they are on Princess.

On Princess now, a simple shake of the head or a polite "No thanks" and the photographers move away without insisting. The only time they are more insistent is when they have an 'ambush' outside the dining room with characters dressed up.

I always pack small bottles of shampoo/conditioner/hand cream just in case.

All the kids on the cruise - and there were many - seemed to be having a great time. With bumper cars, climbing wall, skating, basketball, 24-hour xBox plus the pools, they should be fine.