What to do in Southampton?

fantasy51

My sister and brother-in-law will be over from Australia in May/June going on two cruises. Their package gives them a couple of nights in Southampton before the first cruise and then another two nights in Southampton between the cruises. This gives them two full days for sight-seeing and parts of other days. They don't plant to hire a car for this short time so will be relying on excursions or public transport.

Could anyone give some good suggestions please?

The TUDOR HOUSE and the Titanic museum are both interesting... we did both last NOV on our 1 day stop on our T/A on QM2.

Both are walking distance from "FourQuay" which is a prominent bus stop/ transfer place.

Go to some beautiful and important sites nearby via train or bus or guides tour. Stonehenge is close. And beautiful Salisbury is very close. I'm sure folks who live near Southampton will have some great ideas.

In Southampton there are still some historic buildings left to visit (esp in the southwest corner inside the town walls).

Take the train to Winchester, trains run approx every 15 minutes and the journey takes around 15 minutes. From Winchester station the historic centre of the city is a short walk away. Walks alongside the city walls and the river (lovely area behind the cathedral), Winchester Cathedral itself, the ancient buildings around the cathedral green, the interesting shops, restaurants etc.

Take the Hythe Ferry to Hythe to explore the small town. Take a bus into the New Forest.

Train to Salisbury, stunning cathedral and cathedral green, again with many ancient buildings.

Train to Portsmouth Harbour and the Royal Navy dockyard (Mary Rose, HMS Victory, HMS Warrior).

Ferry to the Isle of Wight, Cowes is worth a visit, and only a short bus ride to Osborne House just outside the town.

If you're in Southampton there is so much to do and see within easy reach.

Hope some of this helps.

My sister and brother-in-law will be over from Australia in May/June going on two cruises. Their package gives them a couple of nights in Southampton before the first cruise and then another two nights in Southampton between the cruises. This gives them two full days for sight-seeing and parts of other days. They don't plant to hire a car for this short time so will be relying on excursions or public transport.

Could anyone give some good suggestions please?

Take the train from Southampton to Portsmouth (day return ticket) and visit the Mary Rose Exhibition.

Then a long slow dinner at Quay15 (wine pairing menu)

Last time I took the QM2 from Southampton to New York I stayed for two nights at Crown Hotel at Lyndhurst. This is in the New Forest. Lovely old countryside hotel with all kind of very scenic walking routes nearby. It was so nice I just put my rain suit on and had a great walk in the rain. The hotel even offered a half board package, while lunch can be taken in scenic pub nearby or along the country side.

For Transfers I used Lyndhurst Taxies (Prad) which was excellent and not too expensive.

This thread has some wonderful suggestions. We are arriving at Heathrow at noon on June 16 for a June 17 sailaway on the QM2. It will have been an overnight nonstop from San Francisco. The seats are nice enough that we should be able to get some sleep.

We hired a car to drive us to Southampton from the airport and asked for an extra stop in Wincheste for 4 hours. Do those of you who’ve been there think 4 hours is too long, too short or about right?

We are on the TA on QM2 that immediately follows our first leg to the Fjords so are planning on going to Portsmouth for the day when we come back to Southampton.

This thread has some wonderful suggestions. We are arriving at Heathrow at noon on June 16 for a June 17 sailaway on the QM2. It will have been an overnight nonstop from San Francisco. The seats are nice enough that we should be able to get some sleep. We hired a car to drive us to Southampton from the airport and asked for an extra stop in Wincheste for 4 hours. Do those of you who’ve been there think 4 hours is too long, too short or about right? We are on the TA on QM2 that immediately follows our first leg to the Fjords so are planning on going to Portsmouth for the day when we come back to Southampton.
Hi HaveDogWillTravel,

Four hours is good I would think. Be sure to see inside the cathedral. On the south side there are some wonderful buildings and part of the city wall, Jane Austen's house, and a walk alongside the River Itchen taking you to King Alfred's statue. The "Round Table" is not to be missed in the Great Hall (at the western end of the city) of Winchester Castle (only the great hall remains, sadly). On the way you'll walk through one of the old city gates.

Here is a selection of photos of Winchester to give you some ideas... www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/72157625054775644

Have a great time! :)

Hi HaveDogWillTravel,

Four hours is good I would think. Be sure to see inside the cathedral. On the south side there are some wonderful buildings and part of the city wall, Jane Austen's house, and a walk alongside the River Itchen taking you to King Alfred's statue. The "Round Table" is not to be missed in the Great Hall (at the western end of the city) of Winchester Castle (only the great hall remains, sadly). On the way you'll walk through one of the old city gates.

Here is a selection of photos of Winchester to give you some ideas... www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/72157625054775644

Have a great time! :)

Pepper

Thank you very much for the tips and the photos. We are quite excited about the trip and it is just 5 months away now.

Take care

Jacqueline

Wow, who would have thought that Southampton and the area arou d it is actually interesting. We may actually stay a night or two next time.

Until now we only knew the plain and dull parts between the bus terminal and the Ports.

Thanks for asking the question and all the suggestions.

Been to the Isle of Wight. Nice for a day. Heaven if you are a fan on lace doilies, knitted tea pot covers and sliced onion.....

Is your sister and B-I-L doing a 3 Cunard Queens package??? If so, so are we ( for the second time) in May. We did basically the same thing 5 years ago on the occasion of the Queens Jubilee. Last time we took a daytrip on the train to Salisbury - it is a beautiful city ( leaves Southampton for dead!) with the most beautiful Cathedral and grounds. Only a sort run on the train and ideal for a day trip. This time we are considering a run on the train to Poole. Haven't been there yet.