Live diary from the Regal Princess - Jan 14-28, 2018

lor74

On Wed we were in Jamaica. Early Thursday morning I woke up with a raw throat, and was lethargic all day. On Friday my throat was a little better, but as the day went on, my sinuses started acting up. On this day Ro was out for the count. Today started off ok with my throat feeling better, but then my sinuses went to the races. After lunch I basically quarantined myself in the cabin with a full blown head cold. Oy, what a week! We went to the buffet for a quick dinner, and now I am back in the cabin for the night. Hopefully tomorrow I can hit the reset button and start over fresh. Here is my mid-cruise report. While the following is not positive, please note that I am not writing this in a negative frame of mind...I am just telling it like it is:

If I list all of my past cruises in order from top to bottom, even the "worst" of them was a good vacation because we had great weather. I can state without hesitation, that this week has been my worst cruise! From cold and windy days, to getting sick...we could not compete with the external influences. As for the cruise itself, this is our 4th overall week on the Regal (+ 10days on Royal) and it has not been up to par. I guess a lot of it falls on the CD..."bird" something...can't tell you his name, as I haven't actually seen him. On our previous sailings, headliners were not in Live, so we did not have the issue of no available seats. Getting to the theatre 30 min early is one thing, but getting there an hour early and needing to sit through another program is quite different. Is it really necessary to keep showing the same material on MUTS, and to even repeat it in the same week? We are not complicated when it comes to food. The Regal has a very good salad selection, and when we both start with a big plate of veg, it does not take anything special to complete the meal. With that being said, the buffet also felt uninspired and repetitive. This was not the case on our previous sailings. The final big negative is the Crown Grill. I already told the story of what happened, and today I went back to try and get refunded for her meal or maybe even get invited back for another try next week. This wasn't even a conversation. "Head waiter Ion" told me that he already spoke to his superiors, and they said the charge should remain. I went to passenger services because I wanted an official complaint on the record for this, and the person there blew me off. He said he would put my complaint in the system, but he really didn't care as the CG is out of his domain. What can I say...to treat an Elite passenger ( any passenger, but especially someone who gives you repeat business) like this over $29 and a stupid lobster tail....bad business if you ask me!

Ok, enough negativity! On the positive side, embarkation was great. Most of the staff are awesome. Our room Steward "Paul" is amazing. Our cabin is great. The captain is taking the outbreak very seriously. It could always be worse...

I know without a doubt, that the week to come will be better!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First let me say thank you for your well written infomational posta, we will be on the Regal 2/11 through 2/25 basically same cruise as you.

As for the GC we go every cruise and sometimes run into the same as you did, other times it’s been great. No complaints from were ever acted on until we asked to speak to the hotel Director, that is wh listens, just an FYI. Sabatini’ we agre has changed for the not so good but we go anyway and now I have found I had the best steak on any cruise there, who would of thought that?? Anyway have a great cruise and remember the weather is not that great but still better then what mot of the people reading this have right now! ENJOY 😊

We got off the ship early and went for a walk and to a pharmacy. 7.5km later, we are back in the terminal waiting. It is 11:15am, and I just heard someone say another fifteen minutes. Here we go again...

We got off the ship early and went for a walk and to a pharmacy. 7.5km later, we are back in the terminal waiting. It is 11:15am, and I just heard someone say another fifteen minutes. Here we go again...

Isn’t there a deep cleaning for the Noro?

We are now at the airport flying home to the Canadian winter. Although we had a few set backs this week, it was just nice to run away together and spend some quiet time catching up. We can now laugh at the two days of self imposed quarantine in the room and we were pleasantly surprised at our lack of bar bill. This may not have been the picture perfect cruise we were hoping for but it was still nice to get away. Here's hoping for better weather and better health for the rest of you still onboard. Enjoy!

Are those really raw oysters? I REALLY hope so since we will be onboard in about 4 weeks and I go crazy for them.

We were on Regal 1/7 to 1/14. Yes, they are real. On our cruise they also had prawns (really big), mussels. We went to have lunch at noon and there was plenty. A lot of PAX were enjoying them. They were in the last buffet line, all the way aft.

lor74: have been following your report & looking forward to the one this week. We are on the Regal April 1- first time on Princess but not new to cruising 17 on RCI & Celebrity. Do you happen to know the cost of the Chef’s Table or could you possibly find out. Thanks. Alfred

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have hit the reset button! We boarded a few minutes after my last post. I had a burger and fries and then finally after a week, actually got into the pool with Ro. There is some sun, and the cold wind from last week is no longer with us. I started a new Lee Child book, and had another dip in the pool with Ro, and one of my signature tacos [emoji12]. Looking forward to a warmer week, healthy ( I got drugs now) and without any drama!

According to Princess site, the chefs table is $115

d17df411f3907be743679b03ddc9cb51.jpg

Sitting poolside, it appears like the crowd will be much younger this week...which tends to be the case most of the time when we b2b. Billy Joel was on for a 3rd time. I think we are the first ship to leave today, with a 3pm all aboard. Looking forward to the football game.

Today started without any chocolate glazed donuts...the horror [emoji33]. Oh well, I guess it is a sign to go exercise instead. Ro got me a coffee, and I went up and ran a mile/7 laps. I am now sitting on a tender...Elite perk, just walk right on. It is currently cloudy. I am going to go for an ocean swim, eat at the BBQ, and then get mentality prepared for what I am led to believe is the Italian buffet tonight....how many calories can I burn before that meal....not enough!!!

No TH donut - oh no I wouldn't be able to survive - LOL

Sent from my SM-T377W using Forums mobile app

Yup

We are sailing out now. The NFL game is on. The sail away party is over....remember the days when the sail away was actually a thing [emoji848]

The cruise starts for my wife when she's doing the Electric Slide and the Cupid/Cuban Shuffle!

Yup

We are sailing out now. The NFL game is on. The sail away party is over....remember the days when the sail away was actually a thing [emoji848]

Have a terrific second week! Love the Regal! I was on the Christmas cruise-3rd year & 4th cruise on the ship. Unfortunately, I came home with pneumonia-lots of guests coughing. I had gotten a pneumonia vaccination too!

We felt Princess had definitely cut some corners this year and the food had slipped. Even the Winemakers dinner was not the usual quality. Our CG dinner was good but it's hard to mess up a filet. Definitely the pizza was not the same -different cheese or something.

Spent time at the retreat pool and Sanctuary both wonderful! Muts is just a bit too loud for me unless it's a football game.

I can't complain, I'm a big Regal fan & the price was unbelievable this year for a holiday cruise.

Enjoy the Caribbean! Hope you get to many of the beautiful beaches this week & stay healthy & take lots of vitamin C.

Linda [emoji41]

We were on Regal 1/7 to 1/14. Yes, they are real. On our cruise they also had prawns (really big), mussels. We went to have lunch at noon and there was plenty. A lot of PAX were enjoying them. They were in the last buffet line, all the way aft.

Just one more thing for us to look forward to. I've never seen them on a ship. So excited.

Edited by Island wannabe
spelling

Yup

I think it’s time to see a head waiter and specifically request your chocolate donut! You deserve it on the second week!

Enjoy the second leg of your cruise! It already sounds like the weather is better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone!

Today was definitely better then last week in FLL, but we did have some passing rain clouds, and the wind picked up quite a bit once we started moving.

My cold is now in the coughing stage. I kept a towel close by at the pool to not disturb anyone. Hopefully be good tomorrow for another ocean swim. On our morning walk today I picked up a wellness smoothie...gimme those vitamins! I also but day & night drugs...looking forward to some NyQuil [emoji99]

Waiting for the final minute of the game...go NE!!!....then a quick shower and dinner...maybe Alfredo's tonight. WTG NE!!!!

Lor, thanks for your trip report on the first leg of your cruise, and I was sorry to hear about the weather. I hope you and your wife feel better soon and for better weather as you head east :)

My mother is onboard Regal as we speak, and your Patter postings have been very helpful for helping her plan this cruise.

Thank you!

Dinner at the buffet. Soup, large salad, and a bit of this n that. First ever and last ever minute steak....feh!

46d9897c491968d2bccb6e391eebdb8f.jpg

abdbd6a4bc66c2056c63c24efc9a075f.jpg

3114e5b4d95cd4470594076daece0916.jpg

As night is rolling in, the cold symptoms are getting stronger...especially in the AC. I will be taking a full dose of Nyquil, and hopefully sleep well tonight [emoji42]

We generally switch the week2 Elite mini bar for 2 coffee cards...to be used on our next Princess sailing. They would always come un-marked. With the talk of new expiry dates, I was curious to see what we would get....no expiry date, but both marked with today's sailing....so no brewed coffee on our next cruise.

6f6cc3feb2e3f993f09e37a31ad72b9e.jpg

1079aa9e95e4002a85bacc2ce5407136.jpg

b393da8feb78fb8462cf91763a5fe4a5.jpg

fc0b886e19ec7f8e939a148284cb8f31.jpg