Make it more fun

BostonSusie

BostonSusie - takes courage to have an opinion that isn’t the same as the majority. (I should know [emoji6])

Just off QM2 - there are yards of space for romantic dance floors - but suggest adding more; not the done thing old girl 🧐 just saying.

Never went to the Queens Room - the rehearsal in there one morning frightened the heck out of me [emoji15]

Don’t get me started on women wearing pants on formal nights ......

🤫

Brave lady - having your say, I applaud you [emoji122]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

During a crossing last year we found a couple dancing in thehallway just outside the Queens Room doors. We asked why they didn’t just go inside and they replied that whiledancing another couple had made a rude remark about them being ‘in the way’ sothey felt they had to leave the floor. Nomatter what your level of expertise – or even no expertise at all – there is roomon the ballroom floor for everyone to enjoy dancing as long as we all show some consideration.

This sounds like an example of someone not knowing basic ballroom etiquette regarding WHERE to dance on a ballroom dance floor. If someone is dancing a stationary "spot" dance in an outside (moving) dance lane, they are blocking the path for other dancers. If spot dancers were to move to the center of the floor, no one will say anything to them and everyone on the floor can enjoy their dancing experience.

This sounds like an example of someone not knowing basic ballroom etiquette regarding WHERE to dance on a ballroom dance floor. If someone is dancing a stationary "spot" dance in an outside (moving) dance lane, they are blocking the path for other dancers. If spot dancers were to move to the center of the floor, no one will say anything to them and everyone on the floor can enjoy their dancing experience.

[emoji15] just like the formal wear! Where is the dance code?

[emoji15] just like the formal wear! Where is the dance code?

No - not like formal wear.

Dance floor etiquette is pretty much the same in most countries around the world regardless of whether you dance the International Style or the American Smooth Style ballroom dance. Here is one and Here is another one of many you can find by simply googling "ballroom etiquette". It's mostly just a matter of being courteous to your fellow dancers.

Dance floor etiquette is pretty much the same in most countries around the world regardless of whether you dance the International Style or the American Smooth Style ballroom dance. Here is one and Here is another one of many you can find by simply googling "ballroom etiquette". It's mostly just a matter of being courteous to your fellow dancers.

Thankyou BobBranst - happy dancing [emoji126]

We assumed that dancing in the Queens Roomwould be akin to social dancing but were surprised to see that there was a minority of dancers who didseem to dominate the floor. I’m nottalking about intricate step patterns, but couples doing arm styling that cleareda large area around them as other dancers tried to avoid the flailing limbs,progressive fast spins in a crowded area and (I thought this one was rather brave), a lift! Justbecause you CAN do something does not always mean that you SHOULD.

These are the types that I characterised in another post as "showoffs"!!!!! Dancing style suited only to larger ballrooms occupied by fellow competitive dancers - NOT the crowded small dance floors on a moving ship.

You seem to lament others' ignorance or disregard of "dance floor etiquette" but you cite two forms of ballroom dance as your evidence that it should be understood. That would be like me saying "I enjoy both kinds of music. Country and Western." (Old joke, but I think it illustrates my point.) Not all who seek to dance are familiar with ballroom. Insisting that it should be otherwise could be one reason people sometimes consider Cunard to be elitist.

I don't think anyone's trying to begrudge ballroom dancers the Queens Room for ballroom dancing but a statement that one must be versed in ballroom dance etiquette to venture onto the Queens Room dance floor underscores the comment in the OP, that there should be other venues available for what the OP calls "romantic dancing."

While the QM2 Queens Room dance floor may be small by Country Hoedown standards, the vast majority of dancers find it's 25' x 43' (1,075 sq ft) floor quite adequate for all types and styles of ballroom dance, regardless of sea conditions. It is extremely popular and usually quite crowded during the formal "Balls". However, if you come in later in the evening, you can usually find plent of space. On non-formal nights there is usually plenty of room for everyone to do their best Cha Cha and latin moves. Ask the band leader or the DJ to play a slow "romantic" song and the center of the floor is yours (and of course others who might wish to join you) to dance as you please.

Why lament about not having another dance floor that doesn't and probably never will exist, when there is a beautiful ballroom floor availble to use. You just have to come when the floor is not at it's busiest and go to the center of the floor.

Dancing & formal wear: Two topics that bring out the elitist charges.

We sail on Cunard because of the Queens Room and the Formal Nights. I think of Fred & Ginger, old black & white movies, 1930s Hollywood, Art Deco, cocktails, romantic walks on deck at night, drinking hot beef bouillon while wrapped in blanket on a deck chair (OK maybe not that one,) and dressing to the nines. I think they should enforce the dress code on formal nights and deny entry to the main dining room, theatre and Queens Room to passengers who don't want to play by the rules. I think everyone who wants to should get out on the floor dance as long as they play by the rules. Am I an elitist? Yes!

In my defense I propose that one does not need to go to a lot of effort to get into Cunard fantasy mode. Don't want to buy/rent a tux. A black suit and white shirt will work. You can order a black suit and white shirt on-line for under $100. No one except the person standing right next to you will know the difference. And after the crossing, hang onto it in case someone you know gets married or dies, hopefully not at the same time. If you are unfamiliar with dance etiquette, ask a dance host. They easy to spot and eager to help.

I love dancing. I wish everyone danced. I want you to be safe on the dance floor as that will increase your chances of loving dance. And I want to be safe on the dance floor as an injury would really ruin my day. No one that I know ever said that driving rules were elitist. They're for safety. Dance rules are the same.

Dancing & formal wear: Two topics that bring out the elitist charges.

We sail on Cunard because of the Queens Room and the Formal Nights. I think of Fred & Ginger, old black & white movies, 1930s Hollywood, Art Deco, cocktails, romantic walks on deck at night, drinking hot beef bouillon while wrapped in blanket on a deck chair (OK maybe not that one,) and dressing to the nines. I think they should enforce the dress code on formal nights and deny entry to the main dining room, theatre and Queens Room to passengers who don't want to play by the rules. I think everyone who wants to should get out on the floor dance as long as they play by the rules. Am I an elitist? Yes!

In my defense I propose that one does not need to go to a lot of effort to get into Cunard fantasy mode. Don't want to buy/rent a tux. A black suit and white shirt will work. You can order a black suit and white shirt on-line for under $100. No one except the person standing right next to you will know the difference. And after the crossing, hang onto it in case someone you know gets married or dies, hopefully not at the same time. If you are unfamiliar with dance etiquette, ask a dance host. They easy to spot and eager to help.

I love dancing. I wish everyone danced. I want you to be safe on the dance floor as that will increase your chances of loving dance. And I want to be safe on the dance floor as an injury would really ruin my day. No one that I know ever said that driving rules were elitist. They're for safety. Dance rules are the same.

Amen!

Seems that you might agree with the OP that more locations for non-ballroom, "romantic" (in the OP's words), casual dancing might be advantageous to ballroom and non-ballroom dancers alike.

I've done two cruises on HAL recently. Despite the lack of a ballroom there were dance floors in many venues and what I'd call casual dancers were taking to the dance floors and dancing happily and totally without instruction (it showed, but they were happy :) ).

I wouldn't recommend holding your breath until those non-ballroom, romantic, casual dancing, wood dance floors are installed in the QM2 or any of the other Cunard ships lounges.

Unlike Cunard, HAL seems like a perfect fit for you.

Dear Boston Susie,

Your idea of small dance areas in some of the evening venues with music is brilliant. My wife and I took our first ever cruise last May and choose an E-W TA on the QM2. Most evening (maybe all) we ended up in the Chart Room for a final/final. We are so far from being accomplished dancers that it is laughable but we do enjoy a little belly-rubbing music to get us out on the dance floor. So we usually just danced right in from of the musicians where there is a little bit of an open space. Two or three other couples would generally join us and this was typically after 11:00PM (23:00). A little more defined dance area would have been appreciated. With that said I was disappointed with what seemed like anger in the way which you presented your suggestion. First slamming the food, then the passengers who enjoy ballroom dancing and finally the traditions of Cunard and the QM2 enjoyed by so many for so many years. You would probably dismiss my wife and I as just a couple of unsophisticated burger eating morons but we thought the food amazing, enjoyed watching and even joining in the ballroom dancing and fully embraced the "tribulations". So I wonder, was your intention to suggest an improvement in a positive way or was it really just a self gratifying rant?

Edited by Host Hattie

Yes- of course, we danced in the "disco" after dinner-It's for a younger crowd and It only opens after 10 pm! And no- I do not expect dancers to change their styles in the Queens Ballroom. I'm only suggesting that a bit of dancing in a quiet corner of the lounges or the Carinthia Room would not go amiss for us less practiced dancers ! What is so hard to understand! Don't you dance a little without wanting to glide around a big crowded ballroom! So, maybe you wouldn't understand anyway!

Odd you found the disco for young people as on the December 2016 Back to Back TA a number of us 70 - 86 year olds closed the disco on numerous evenings. As to a slow dance on the Queens Room floor, just do it.Stake out a small space and remain in it. No one cares and if you want dark and quiet go up to the back tiers of the room and have a dance with your partner It is dark and quite nice.

OK- since you ask! My daughter is studying for an advanced degree at Uni. Duesseldorf and my husbnd has a mother in Germany- For health reasons I cannot fly long distances-Soooo,if I want to visit Europe I sail or swim! From anyplace between Toronto and Miami the only option is Cunard out of Brooklyn NY. Because necessity forces me to sail QM 2, that does not mean my opinions and evaluations and observations are not valid and worth considering! Anyway- Holland America beat out Cunard in cruise ship ratings this year and I can well understand why! As H. A. sails to Europe from Florida I am unable to sail with them. Too bad for me!

As you do not fly yet still find Cunard to be miserable I would suggest one of the numerous and inexpensive re positioning cruises on one of several lines. Yes they are most all out of Florida however, Amtrak has two very pleasant trains daily from Boston and New York to Florida.