Cape Breton Island Tours from Sydney NS

RockinJ

Has anyone done a private day tour from Sydney NS around Cape Breton Island? The Princess Royal excursion is booked that we are on. My friends are very scared to take a private tour.

8am private tour by Blackwood Tours (met at the big Fiddle) We stopped by the information center for theHighland Village, crossed the Bras d’or Lake by cable ferry, lunch at Bell BuoyRestaurant, and visited the Alexander Graham Bell museum, very interesting.

Scenicride, ferry (huge road machine crossed with us)

Lunchof fish chowder & lobster sandwich, very good

Stopped at Highland craft store

There were 8 of us on this tour in a large van. Someone else made the arrangements, so I don't have the contact information. It was a wonderful tour and we really enjoyed it. I don't remember the price either, but better than Princess could offer. Check them out.

I never found any part of Canada to be scary, not like, say, Guatemala or El Salvador, I think your friends might be correct to be wary of private tours in some of those sort of places.

We went all around Cape Breton privately(we were going all over, not on a cruise!) and I can tell you that it is a very long drive with much construction going on, especially on the western side, in 2017. I wanted to go all around the whole area but realized afterwards that halfway would have been enough, just to the Northwest side of Cape Breton. This info is for anyone booking a private tour or going by personal car, as we did.

We went all around Cape Breton privately(we were going all over, not on a cruise!) and I can tell you that it is a very long drive with much construction going on, especially on the western side, in 2017. I wanted to go all around the whole area but realized afterwards that halfway would have been enough, just to the Northwest side of Cape Breton. This info is for anyone booking a private tour or going by personal car, as we did.

Agree that Cape Breton is a really long drive. The Princess excursion sounds as though you'll see a lot but in reality there's not enough time to get any real distance. It was quite disappointing really. You'd have a better chance of seeing more in a private car.

I agree that getting your own car is the best option and driving. Going around the entire cabot trail probably is not possible unless you go really fast and don't stop. It is one lane each way and the roads are rather rough due to patches from winter conditions and making lovely pot holes.

But driving to the Bras D'Or lakes or seeing some of the Cabot Trail or even some of the many stunning views from all over the island is definitely possible.

Seeing the trail in a coach thru the ship is an option but you are much better looking out a car window than a bus window if you are able to rent/drive your own car.

We just moved to Cape Breton this month and it is stunning